RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Glow Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/)
-   -   asp piston on OS 46FX ???!!!!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/10696334-asp-piston-os-46fx.html)

eladashk 09-01-2011 01:03 AM

asp piston on OS 46FX ???!!!!!

<span class="hps" closure_uid_uvaprj="613">Does</span> <span class="hps" closure_uid_uvaprj="614">anyone have</span> <span class="hps" closure_uid_uvaprj="615">experience</span> <span class="hps" closure_uid_uvaprj="616">with</span> <span class="hps" closure_uid_uvaprj="617">replacing OS-46FX </span><span class="hps" closure_uid_uvaprj="618">piston</span> <span class="hps" closure_uid_uvaprj="621">with a set</span> <span class="hps" closure_uid_uvaprj="622">ofASP Piston and Liner Set for S46A Engine</span><span closure_uid_uvaprj="624">?
</span> <span class="hps" closure_uid_uvaprj="625">Does it</span> <span class="hps" closure_uid_uvaprj="626">fit</span> <span class="hps" closure_uid_uvaprj="627">and</span> <span class="hps" closure_uid_uvaprj="628">work?</span> <span class="hps" closure_uid_uvaprj="629">Or is there</span> <span class="hps" closure_uid_uvaprj="630">a problem</span> <span class="hps" closure_uid_uvaprj="631">of</span> <span class="hps" closure_uid_uvaprj="632">matching</span> <span class="hps" closure_uid_uvaprj="633">dimensions??</span>

delman 09-01-2011 06:53 AM

RE: asp piston on OS 46FX ???!!!!!

Check with "justengines". The "short engine" parts for OS spares sound just like your idea.

http://www.justengines.unseen.org

w8ye 09-01-2011 07:13 AM

It fits like it was made for it.

Patxipt 09-01-2011 07:17 AM

My flight instructor says he keeps changing piston/liner sets between OS and ASP.

DarZeelon 09-01-2011 10:43 AM

Elad,

The ASP S46A piston and liner set, fits into the OS.46FX with no modification.

It is not the same part, as the ASP set includes a chromium plated, true ABC sleeve; while the *original*, very expensive OS set is ABN/ABL, with less durable nickel coating.
Both pistons are high-silicon aluminium.

The ASP is a clone of the OS, so most of the parts are interchangeable between the two engines.
I wrote about it in [link=http://www.efly.co.il/forums/showthread.php?40890-%F9%F8%E5%E5%EC-%E5%E1%E5%EB%F0%E4-%EC%EE%F0%E5%F2-OS-46-FX]the eFly forum[/link].

It has also been discussed in this forum.

EDIT: Spelling.

fiery 09-01-2011 10:30 PM

Eldad

I did this some years ago when my FX lost it's piston /liner fit after about five runs. I was disgusted.

I ordered an ASP .46 Piston and liner. Real chrome plating on the liner, and fine quality finish. Installed with no issues whatsoever.

Engine ran like a champ and has kept its fits. I never looked back. I also have never bought another OS engine.

NM2K 09-01-2011 11:25 PM

ORIGINAL: fiery

Eldad

I did this some years ago when my FX lost it's piston /liner fit after about five runs. I was disgusted.

I ordered an ASP .46 Piston and liner. Real chrome plating on the liner, and fine quality finish. Installed with no issues whatsoever.

Engine ran like a champ and has kept its fits. I never looked back. I also have never bought another OS engine.

It takes years and lots of hard work to build a reputation and only one FX series to completely trash a company. What a shame.

Ed Cregger

NM2K 09-01-2011 11:26 PM

Sorry. A misfire.

Ed Cregger

w8ye 09-02-2011 01:58 AM

For the record, this ASP P &amp; L will also fit the AX 46 but the indexing pin at the top of the crankcase is in the wrong place on the 46AX. You have to file a notch in the correct place above the exhaust on the ASP liner to make it fit the AX series.

blw 09-02-2011 07:31 AM

A new piston/liner set puts those engines right at the dividing line between toss in the trash or repair it.

tony0707 09-02-2011 11:25 AM

hi
usually the cost of a piston and liner replacement will signal the time to purchase a new complete engine
have to consider the wear on the other engine partsthat has taken place
could be throwing good money away-you could be applying to the new one long run
best regards tony

DarZeelon 09-02-2011 01:20 PM

ORIGINAL: tony0707

Hi,

Uusually, the cost of a piston and liner replacement will signal the time to purchase a new complete engine
have to consider the wear on the other engine partsthat has taken place
could be throwing good money away-you could be applying to the new one long run
best regards Tony
Tony,

This is very much a blanket statement...

Different parts of one engine wear-out at different rates and some can be cheaply replaced several times, before the engine atains paper-weight status.
Pricing is another matter...

OS don't want you to repair your engine and prefer that you buy a new one from them... So they state an outrageous price on their P+L set...
But if you can get an ASP set for under $16 from China, you get a new, even longer lease on the life of your $130 OS engine.

Sure beats buying a new engine, doesn't it?

blw 09-02-2011 07:10 PM

Tony, some wear is good. Most of the time, a new p/l will extend the life of an engine by many years. Same thing with changing bearings.