RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Glow Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/)
-   -   Engine temps (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/10935582-engine-temps.html)

NoOneFlysAtMyClub 01-30-2012 02:03 PM

Engine temps

Can anyone tell me [that truly knows] what the operating temps are of our glow engines?
I have a Super Tigre .90 that I want to paint to match the nose on my SU-27 to make it less visible.
I want to do a test at the right temp, while my wife is at work, to see if it will bubble.
Paint is Sherwin Williams industrial urethane.

Thanks, Tony

earlwb 01-30-2012 03:31 PM

RE: Engine temps

Engine temperatures for glow engines vary from 200 degrees F to a little over 300 degrees F.
Many engines run around 225 to 250 degrees F. Away from the glow plug and the temperatures will drop quite fast.
A lot of factors can affect the temperatures, engine design, the fuel used, the propellor load, air flow across the engine and so on.
Some engines have lots of extra cooling fins and other engines have very little in the way of cooling fins. Engines with little to no cooling fins are intended to run more hot in their intended use. Usually the more optimum point is to measure the temperature just under or right next to the glow plug, as this is usually the most thin spot on the engine right on top of the combustion chamber. Of course measuring exhaust gas temps is pretty good too, but those temperatures can be much higher though.
But measuring the temperatures can be tricky as sometimes just a simple one click in or out on the needle valve can cause a dramatic change in the engine temperatures being measured.

Sport_Pilot 01-30-2012 09:08 PM

I think the paint needs to survive an occasional lean run, so maybe 450 degrees.  I believe there are paints that will do that, not sure if they are fuel proof.  If you can find a shop that can powder coat the engine that would work, there are the Saito Black Knights and the blue OS LA's that are powder coated and they do fine.

NoOneFlysAtMyClub 01-31-2012 02:33 AM

Well the ST .90 has lots if big fins. It's a ringed engine, so a lean run would not be a good thing. I always run my ST ringed engines plenty rich.
I painted a piece of 1/2" aluminum for a test. It was baked in the curing oven at work for one hour at 150 degrees. This is standard bake time for all our SW paint.
So, I think I will put the test in the oven, set it at 300 degrees, watch it during the preheat, and if it does not burn, I should be good to go.

Until then...............

Tony

kenh3497 01-31-2012 09:56 AM

I see the dog house being prepped for use.............;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wTg6YB2PRA

:D:D:D

NoOneFlysAtMyClub 01-31-2012 01:46 PM

No dog house for me!
No smell and no bubbles or blisters.
Besides, I told her first. She just said wait until I am not here.
Got to love her!!!

Tony

kenh3497 01-31-2012 02:59 PM

ORIGINAL: NoOneFlysAtMyClub

No dog house for me!
No smell and no bubbles or blisters.
Besides, I told her first. She just said wait until I am not here.
Got to love her!!!

Tony
[sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif] :D

Hobbsy 02-01-2012 05:14 AM

Hugh is spot on, I bought some 1500 degree header paint, auto, but when castor got on it, it simply blew off in the wind. The muffler I painted has streaks on it just like you see on the nose of an airliner.

1QwkSport2.5r 02-01-2012 05:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Hobbsy

Hugh is spot on, I bought some 1500 degree header paint, auto, but when castor got on it, it simply blew off in the wind. The muffler I painted has streaks on it just like you see on the nose of an airliner.
I tried painting the rusty muffler on my lawnmower with BBQ grill black paint. I think the can said it would hold up to 2000°F but it only took about 5 minutes of mowing my grass to burn that paint off. Chevy Orange engine paint with ceramic burned off after 10 minutes on the same lawnmower muffler.

I think Powdercoating or Ceramic coating is going to last longer than any kind of paint will.

qazimoto 02-01-2012 06:56 PM

You could try VHT High Temperature engine block paint.

It's very solvent resistant and rated to about 500 degrees F.

However you do need to follow the instructions.

It needs to fully cure before it's resistant to anything.

Ray