RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Glow Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/)
-   -   HELP with Magnum XL 46 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/10970091-help-magnum-xl-46-a.html)

LonnieMcc 02-21-2012 07:47 PM

HELP with Magnum XL 46

Hey guys,

I picked up a Magnum XL .46 from a club memeber who I know treats his equipment with very good care. BUT this engine that I picked up from him is giving me serious fits. When he gave the me the engine he did not remeber much of it's history, so I really don't have much to go on.

But this is what I have done so far with no success in getting it to run well.

I reset both the HS and the LS needle's to specs (HS - 2 1/2 - LS 2 - Out) Fire the engine up and tuned just the HS and it's good. So time to adjust the ls, get it as close as we can and sometimes it will transition great and other times it won't.

SO I did some research here and found a post or two that mentioned tossing the current carb and replacing it with a OS carb. Question is which carb do I need to replace it with??? I currently have two Tower .40's one in use, the other I just retired cause the front bearing needs to be replaced. So, can I use the carb from this engine, or does it need to be for a 46???? The carb on the .40 is a air bleed carb.

jeffie8696 02-21-2012 08:16 PM

RE: HELP with Magnum XL 46

If it fits and runs use it. Idoubt it will fit since the neck diameter of air bleed carbs is usually much smaller than twin needle of the same displacement. Have you tried an idle bar plug? It helps straighten out idle and transition problems.

jaka 02-22-2012 08:33 AM

Hi!
As long as the intake diameter is around 7-8mm and the carb neck is 13mm (as on nearly all .40-.50 engines) it will work just fine.

I doubt that the carb is the culprit though!
Use an OS 8 or Enya 3 glow plug and 5%-10% nitro fuel, 11x6 APC or RAM prop and a 8-10oz tank placed according to the "tank mounting rule" and see what happens. Idle bar plugs are not neccessary! ...or desirable!

JPMacG 02-22-2012 09:45 AM

The carb from an OS 40FX will fit the Magnum XLS46A. I made this swap when I was trying to get my Magnum to idle and run consistently. In my case the carb swap did not help.

Magnum had some quality control issues when I bought mine (about 7 years ago). I have heard that the recently produced Magnums are better. But if you have an older one you might have a lemon.

LonnieMcc 02-22-2012 09:59 AM

I have swapped out the plug two or three times, one with the idle bar and one without. I have not taken the carb off the 40 yet so not sure, I just wanted to ask before I did.

But I will give the current carb a try again. After I take it off and make sure it is free of all junk. As prop goes, I am currently using a MAS 11X6

maxtenet 02-22-2012 10:57 AM

Forget an O.S. carb. Get a Perry Carb. They work flawlessly, but only if the carb is the problem :-]

Max

jaka 02-22-2012 11:51 AM

Hi!
Please!
Master A white tiped props are the worst props you can use! Try APC , RAM or Graupner Cam-Prop instead, those are much more efficient!
Have nothing to do with how the engine works though!
OS carbs are the best there is!

jimmyjames213 02-22-2012 02:38 PM

what is your history tuneing engines? what engines do you normally run? this will help us know if it is tuneing or engine problems

delman 02-22-2012 06:19 PM

If you figure out if it is the carb or tuning, the old OS 4D carb works on the Magnum 46 and 52 size two strokes if you need the carb.

LonnieMcc 02-23-2012 12:57 AM

Well as far as me, I can do a ok job at tuning, I had a TT .46 a few years back, but now all I have is two TH .40's and a G-26. But I had two other club memebers helping me Tuesday at the field. Now as far as how good they are, I am not really sure lol.

The only reason I mentioned changing out the carb, was based on a post I found during a search on here. I run Omega 15% in my 40's, but I am almost out, so I may switch back to the 10% like I ran awhile back.

Here is also a little more info on my setup. As of right now, this engine is mounted on a SPAD Debonair with a 10oz tank. So, if tank placement is the issue, I do have another plane (Escapade) I can put this engine on and try it. Ultimately that is the plane this engine is destine for anyway.

My goal this weekend, is to take the carb off and inspect it and the o-ring, reset the settings back to the base of 2 turns out. Put in a NIP OS 8 plug and see what happens.

And thanks guys for the help.