RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Glow Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/)
-   -   Super Tigre 2300 First Run.... (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/11428986-super-tigre-2300-first-run.html)

Dick T. 03-02-2013 10:58 AM

Super Tigre 2300 First Run....

To those who despise Super Tigre engines you will get no sympathy from me.

My first experience with the 2300 was absolutely superb. 18x8 TF Powerprop, 5% nitro synthetic/castor blend, two 24 oz. tanks of run-cool down-run each time leaning mixture slightly. High speed needle tuned to a slightly rich-breaking into lean cycle, idle needle in about 1/2 turn and this beast was running and transitioning smoothly. Engine started every time with a single spinner backflip.

Attached to a newly completed GP Giant Big Stik the third tank was flown with nary a burble, hesitation or deadstick. Looking forward to a couple more gallons through it then on to a GP Soucy Extra 300, down size the prop and have fun.

I have read a lot of complaints and horror stories about this engine (and Super Tigers in general) but I have never had problems with any size I have used. The 2300 continues that legacy.

Have another NIB that will replace this one and think I will buy a few more! I fly gassers too but I am impressed with the 2300.

Hobbsy 03-02-2013 12:38 PM

RE: Super Tigre 2300 First Run....

Hey Dick, no problem here, I love SuperTigres, I have them from an ancient .46 to an elderly 4500, my 2300 is only a couple of years old and a mighty fine engine. My .51, .90, 2300 and 4500 are all converted to Diesel.

RCPAUL 03-02-2013 12:44 PM

I love them too. I have several 40s thru a 3000, including a 2300. All great!

koastrc 03-02-2013 02:41 PM

I also run Tigers. They are good engines with very strong power. They have been trouble free over the years. The first two in my inventory were given to me. A good guy and great builder had a pair of sixty-ones on his latest creation. The engines would flame out and he would curse. He looks at me and says if you take them off this plane you can have them. Ran them for fifteen years. Took Katrina to stop them. If there is a moral to this story I have no idea what it is. I only know from that time on it has been Tigers for me.

flyingagin 03-02-2013 04:45 PM

I have 3. a .34, a .90, and a 3000. I had a ancient .40 before then. I think they are a very fine engines.

The proplems I have seen others have were the people, not the engines.

Ken<br type="_moz" />

Hobbsy 03-02-2013 04:58 PM

I have a bunch of ST carbs that people sent to me because they didn't like them, its amazing how riding in a mail truck turns them into good carbs.

Dick T. 03-02-2013 05:04 PM

ORIGINAL: Hobbsy

I have a bunch of ST carbs that people sent to me because they didn't like them, its amazing how riding in a mail truck turns them into good carbs.
Now, that I love!!

JWQ500RC 03-02-2013 05:17 PM

Hey Dick

I have one in my ESM Bearcat and it also runs great. ST get a raw deal I love em.

JIim Williams

RCVFR 03-02-2013 05:28 PM

A few years ago, my LHS guy was telling me how great his 2300 was, how it started out of the box on the first flip, and yada, yada, yada...

A while later I had a need for that size engine, so I bought one from him. I set it up on a test stand, fueled it primed and flipped, and it didn't start. I guess I didn't prime it adequately, as it started on the second flip. I for sure complained to my LHS about that http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...wink_smile.gif

It proved to be one of the most user friendly engines I have ever run. I experimented and found it liked 5% nitro better than any higher %. I finally sold it as I have moved to gas for that size power, but still, it is an excellent engine and good buy.

wruggiero 03-02-2013 06:24 PM

I've been flighing with Super Tigres all of my journey through the airmodels, more than 44 years, I have dozens of them, but one was impressive, a Super Tigre X61, I ran this engine several years with out any kind of maintenance. I'm realy an enthusiastic of Super Tigre!!!

How do you compare the Italian version versus the Chinese one ?

Dick T. 03-02-2013 09:42 PM

ORIGINAL: wruggiero

I've been flighing with Super Tigres all of my journey through the airmodels, more than 44 years, I have dozens of them, but one was impressive, a Super Tigre X61, I ran this engine several years with out any kind of maintenance. I'm realy an enthusiastic of Super Tigre!!!

How do you compare the Italian version versus the Chinese one ?
I have not found any difference and I have had a number from both. It is my understanding when Hobbico bought Super Tigre all tooling, molds, etc., were shipped to China and a number of ST employees went along to set things up and train the Chinese factory workers. So there should be no difference and there certainly isn't any I can see.

To me it puts an end to the silly argument when some say they wouldn't buy a Chinese made ST. Thats fine if one doesn't want to buy Chinese made products but it isn't correct to apply a perceived quality issue to the ST engines.

1QwkSport2.5r 03-03-2013 02:37 AM

I like my Tigres. I have an S29, G51, and an S90K; all Italian using stock ST carbs. The 29 and 51 were far less finicky than the 90 was; it took about 2 gallons to throttle right. The other two were throttling like a dream right after break-in. The 29 and 51 are using Frank Bowman rings, the 90 has such huge compression using the stock ring, I just left it as-is.

Good runners; I use 5% nitro 20% castor in them. They all will backflip start on the first flip on a good wet prime. +1 from me.

cargopilot 03-03-2013 03:36 AM

I own several super tigre engines, K & B engines, OS, and gas engines. By far super tigre is one of the best engines. Followed by my KB's, then OS. Super tigers are very reliable. Never had any issues.

turbo.gst 03-03-2013 03:50 AM

I love my Tigre's! I have them from the X-11 all the way up to the 4500. The 2300 is just about my favorite. They thrive on low nitro fuel. I just keep acquiring those 2300's. I think I'm up to 6 of them now. I have always given a tigre a long break-in, but have been rewarded by long lasting engines. A few of mine are almost 30 years old and they still run great with awesome power.

larryak 03-03-2013 05:55 AM

Just can't beat that 2300.

geeter 03-03-2013 06:43 AM

i have a .61 made in italy in my bel-air bi-plane. love it. the ones from china i don't care for. i wouldn't trade my .61 for ten chinese ones.

Iflyglow 03-03-2013 06:53 AM

I change carbs because I can.:D An os 7d or magum 1.08 will make the 2300 purr even better yet with much less tweaking with a much smoother mid range. For me it was much easier to just order an Asp carb for $12 from hobby king and send the St carb to hobbsy, since I had no intention of even trying it. Everyone of my St's is inverted running a cline regulater. My only complaint with st's is the total lack of any parts support from the distributer. Rings are easy to get from FB, but orings for the pack cover for the .90's That i own have replaced with a little silicone. Almost all the Engines and parts are on back order year after year. If hobbico does not want to support them why not sell them off to someone who would.

1QwkSport2.5r 03-03-2013 07:00 AM

ORIGINAL: Iflyglow

I change carbs because I can. An os 7d or magum 1.08 will make the 2300 purr even better yet with much less tweaking with a much smoother mid range. The only thing I don't like about st's is the total lack of any parts support from the distributer. Almost all the Engines and parts are on back order year after year. If hobbico does not want to support them why not sell them off to someone who would.
According to Bill Baxter at Hobby Services, They are having a real problem getting parts from the Manufacturer in China. Why? He didn't elaborate. Though if you have an italian engine and need parts that they still manufacture, some parts are slightly different and may or may not fit. Pistons and Liners are one - China pistons are slightly smaller thran Italian pistons, as are the liners respectively.

As for the carbs... I equate SuperTigre carbs with the old Rochester Quadrajet. They work, in fact they work well if you can figure out how to adjust them. An OS 7D carb is nearly unobtainable and expensive. The ASP/Magnum carb is a good balance, plus with either the 7D or ASP carb, you can get a 1,000rpm boost on some props. With a tuned exhaust they really shine.

Iflyglow 03-03-2013 07:13 AM

I don't believe everything that the empire says. The are also trying to sell overpriced OS's. I am a huge fan of the TH .75, and that engine became extinct when the OS .75 was put on the market for double the money and then some.

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

I change carbs because I can. An os 7d or magum 1.08 will make the 2300 purr even better yet with much less tweaking with a much smoother mid range. The only thing I don't like about st's is the total lack of any parts support from the distributer. Almost all the Engines and parts are on back order year after year. If hobbico does not want to support them why not sell them off to someone who would.
According to Bill Baxter at Hobby Services, They are having a real problem getting parts from the Manufacturer in China. Why? He didn't elaborate. Though if you have an italian engine and need parts that they still manufacture, some parts are slightly different and may or may not fit. Pistons and Liners are one - China pistons are slightly smaller thran Italian pistons, as are the liners respectively.

As for the carbs... I equate SuperTigre carbs with the old Rochester Quadrajet. They work, in fact they work well if you can figure out how to adjust them. An OS 7D carb is nearly unobtainable and expensive. The ASP/Magnum carb is a good balance, plus with either the 7D or ASP carb, you can get a 1,000rpm boost on some props. With a tuned exhaust they really shine.

avidflyguy 03-03-2013 07:50 AM

i have several of their engines, the chinese built ones have performed just as well as the italian builts, the 2300 is a powerhouse for its size and only time i have deadsticks is when i run out of fuel

1QwkSport2.5r 03-03-2013 09:04 AM

I don't believe everything that the empire says. The are also trying to sell overpriced OS's. I am a huge fan of the TH .75, and that engine became extinct when the OS .75 was put on the market for double the money and then some.

Yeah, I know. Take it for what it is.

Wasn't the Tower engines made by Sanye or Kangke?

tolean 03-03-2013 02:06 PM

<span style="font-size: medium">I put Super Tiger 2300 on a 25% Giles 202 it performed Excellent.I was amazed
at the power running 18-8 prop as recomended.Transformation thru all areas were
Excellent after minor carb adjustment. If that ingine did not start on first
Hand Flip something must be wrong.</span>

dodgers72 03-03-2013 03:22 PM

I've been a fan ever sense I ran a test between my o.s. .46 ax and my .51 ST. The .51, even before it was fully broken in was pulling 200 rpm more on the same prop! Since then I've bought another .51,.90, and a 2300 with great results. I haven't put the 2300 in a plane yet but brake in has been even more impressive than all of my other Tigres.

These are definitely underrated engines in my opinion.

Chris

1QwkSport2.5r 03-03-2013 04:33 PM

I got a Italian G51 that was in need of some TLC.. Bearings were shot and it didnt have a Bowman ring in it yet. New bearings from RC-Bearings.com and a Frank Bowman piston ring gave the G51 some new life; 10,800rpm turning an APC 13x4W prop. That seems pretty impressive to me for only being 5% nitro and about 45 minutes of break-in time. I'm sure a bigger muffler would give more power, but for what it is... Its not a bad engine.

Iflyglow 03-03-2013 08:51 PM

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

Yeah, I know. Take it for what it is.

Wasn't the Tower engines made by Sanye or Kangke?
No, the Tower Engines were made with GMS engines in the same factory as the ST engines. The Tower .75 definitaly had some ST heritage in it, only with a conventional carb. The bore and stroke are the same as the Super Tigre .75 if I remember correctly. I still fly a couple of them, and will never sell them, since they were the best kept secret in RC as far as I am concerned. They reallly perform and never dead stick unless you run out of fuel. One has well over twenty gallons of fuel through it, and is still as strong as when it came out of the box.:D The original bushing .40 from TH might have been built by TT, but not the .46 and .75.:D