RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Glow Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/)
-   -   Fear of YS engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/11590701-fear-ys-engines.html)

Pittscrazy 10-15-2018 05:17 AM

PS . Yes I know it is a lot of engine for this mustang , but the bird is kit built , and fiberglassed so it is a bit heavy and I love speed 😂 !

bodybuildr 10-15-2018 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by Pittscrazy (Post 12470603)
Ok , all you ys gurus ; I have a couple of questions, I have a ys 140 that I picked up from a buddy who could get it started but it would die at 1/3 throttle . This engine has sat for at least 3 years . I have done nothing but soak it in after run oil . Bearing seems to be tight but it has no compression . Engine does not look to have much run time on it . What do I need to do before I fire it up ? I believe it is the ys 140 L and I want to use it in a top flite 60 mustang d that is nearing completion. This will be my first ys and I want to get it right ! Thanks in advance for your assistance !

Replace the diaphragm and gasket on regulator. Put a type F glow plug in it and see how it runs then.

Pittscrazy 10-15-2018 06:27 AM

Ok , thanks and do you know where I can find those ? Do I need to order them from ys or is it something I can make ?

speedracerntrixie 10-21-2018 07:18 AM

You can get parts at Central Hobbies. The most important ting about the YS engines is the regulator/fuel system. Aside from that it is no different from any other 4 stroke in terms of handling. Most guys who have issues tuning them are not allowing the fuel tank to come up to full pressure before making adjustments. Always start with the regulator screw flush with its housing. This in most cases will be a bit on the rich side. Get the engine running and advance to about 1/4 throttle and let it run for at least 20 seconds. Lower the throttle and then slowly advance to full throttle. In most cases if the high speed needle is lean the engine will sound like it is struggling during transition. If you continue to advance the throttle there is a good chance you can throw a prop. When the high speed is too rich, you will actually hear a slight drop in RPM just as you hit full throttle. It will take some fiddling of the regulator screw and the high speed needle to get them working in unison. Filters are very important, YS engines will not tolerate any debris in the system. I reccomend the YS filter clunk and the use of a filter just prior to the regulator. You can always call Richard Verano at YS sales and service. He is very personable and wants to help guys have a positive experience with their YS engine. He is currently here in Sacramento at the Warbird Pylon Nationals but should be back working on engines and taking calls on Wednesday.

papamac 02-15-2020 12:28 PM

Hi All, I am looking at putting an FZ110 on a great planes super skybolt ARF. I fly Helis and run Cool Power heli fuel 20% nitro with 100% synthetic, would this fuel be good for the YS?

felker14 02-28-2020 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by papamac (Post 12583288)
Hi All, I am looking at putting an FZ110 on a great planes super skybolt ARF. I fly Helis and run Cool Power heli fuel 20% nitro with 100% synthetic, would this fuel be good for the YS?

Yes thats what you want. Bump up to 30% or higher for more power.

Propworn 02-29-2020 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by papamac (Post 12583288)

The recommended fuel is 20% nitro 20% oil read your manual. Heli fuel may not have enough oil in it. Coolpower makes a 20 20 fuel but they will not tell you what oil to use to increase oil content. I use Wildcat becuase they use Klotz oil and specify oil content on the jug. I buy thier 20 20 but in a pinch can buy one of the other nito content and bump the oil content by adding the right amount of Klotz.