RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Glow Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/)
-   -   turbo header mufflers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/11596396-turbo-header-mufflers.html)

paul cov 03-18-2014 06:31 AM

turbo header mufflers

Hi guys, has any one got any info concerning these after market turbo header mufflers and what kind of sound testing (if any) has been done on four stroke nitro engines (os fs 200), measurements in db would be ideal, many thanks,

Paul.

w8ye 03-18-2014 08:22 AM

I've used Turbo Headers for years. They typically give you a couple hundred rpm with the sound little different from the original muffler

paul cov 03-18-2014 10:52 AM

Hi W8ye, thanks for reply but unfortunately I fly in a noise sensitive area over the pond and engine noise is monitored regularly by the local authorities, and they measure the noise in decibels, anything over 82db @ 7mtr is a no . .no!, this is going to be quite a challenge as I've got a GP super Stearman 120 with O.S. FS 200 up front, going to have to tinker with prop size and pitch again I think, it would be really good idea if RCU could come up with stats relating to this turbo header muffler with reference to different size engines and noise measured in decibels purely as a guide, cant seem to find any reference to this situation anywhere on net?.

Granpooba 03-18-2014 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by paul cov (Post 11762864)
Hi W8ye, thanks for reply but unfortunately I fly in a noise sensitive area over the pond and engine noise is monitored regularly by the local authorities, and they measure the noise in decibels, anything over 82db @ 7mtr is a no . .no!, this is going to be quite a challenge as I've got a GP super Stearman 120 with O.S. FS 200 up front, going to have to tinker with prop size and pitch again I think, it would be really good idea if RCU could come up with stats relating to this turbo header muffler with reference to different size engines and noise measured in decibels purely as a guide, cant seem to find any reference to this situation anywhere on net?.

Just mounted a Turbo Header muffler on my Saito 125, which is mounted in a Hangar 9 Christen Eagle II. Sorry, can not give you any DB specs for this muffler. Could be wrong but PERSONALLY, I think that you will have a difficult time finding any published DB specs on the net. Unless Turbo Header has specs of their own.

Good luck with your noise problem. :(

Granpooba 03-18-2014 02:02 PM

Following paragraph was taken from RCU in regards to Turbo Header muffler:

After we made sure everything was securely assembled we went ahead and ran up the motor and put a tach on it. Ashley is a sport flyer and is beginning to learn a little IMAC so the Saito is equipped with an APC 16x8 composite prop. Before and after tach testing confirmed the manufacturers claim of a 200 to 300 RPM increase. We actually measured a 250 RPM difference. I also liked the throaty rumble that the TurboHeader gave while idling. Once up to flying RPM the motor does sound a bit different than a stock four stroke motor but you really have to hear them back to back to notice a difference.

Rudolph Hart 03-18-2014 02:17 PM

Paul what is written above pretty much sums it up and has been my experience using two turboheaders.They look a lot nicer than a standard saito muffler and are much lighter.Stock os mufflers win the ugly design competition hands down.

If you have room inside the cowl you can run a length of stainless flex tube(itself a muffler)and then the turboheader.I can't believe you are restricted to 82db's..you can fart louder than that.Considered immigrating?

paul cov 03-18-2014 05:02 PM

Ok old fart, and thanks for your input guys, if I get chance I will put together some noise test figures on hear, testing my o.s. and saito engines using the turbo header on all of my engines, there is obviously a need for it, should be interesting, and trust me (old fart) if I eat beans then even you will hear it all the way over the pond;), that's not thunder ya know!!, yeah and I agree 82db does take the p...ss abit, but we have to abide by local laws otherwise they have the power to close our field, annoying really when you consider all the other noise making things we got going on over hear, to many do gooders!.

paul cov 03-18-2014 05:13 PM

Hi Granpooba, ive already asked Jim @ rc specialities and he does,nt have any noise test specs on his turbo headers as yet.

Granpooba 03-19-2014 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by paul cov (Post 11763122)
Hi Granpooba, ive already asked Jim @ rc specialities and he does,nt have any noise test specs on his turbo headers as yet.

Thought so ........... :(

earlwb 03-19-2014 08:07 AM

You would think that after several years now, someone would have taken a DB meter and measured the noise levels of a Turbomuffler as compared to the stock OEM muffler. The manufacrturer could have done it too. Now granted, the engine brand and displacement affects the noise levels as does using different props as well. Plus the air frame could be less or more noisy too.

blw 03-19-2014 08:07 AM

Paul, does your OS 200 pass the test now?

Have you considered cheating? Or assigning gate guard duty to someone so you know when to pull out your electrics when the noise police show up?:)

Rudolph Hart 03-20-2014 02:13 AM

Paul is right..we should be way past cheating anything.I'd like the inspector to be gummint appointed for starters.Then we'll have a new noise test where he has to stand in front of a running warbird with machine guns and all in working order.Then we look at eachother and say...what do you reckon guys?

w8ye 03-20-2014 02:23 PM

I don't have a DB meter but to my ears, a turbo header is not louder than the stock muffler.

I also know there is a certain realm of operation where the Turbo Muffler has the 200+ rpm gain over the stock muffler using the same prop. Like for example using a APC 16 X 8 on a Saito 125 to keep the the rpm and therefore noise level down with the stock muffler - I doubt you are going to have a gain in rpm using a Turbo Header.

blw 03-20-2014 04:47 PM

I don't know why, but that noise test idea reminds me of the scene from 1941 where the General asks John Belushi to fire his guns on his P-40.

Rudolph Hart 03-21-2014 01:04 AM

Yeh call me crazy that was what i thought of when i wrote that.I'm also a big elmer keith fan and have a 1936 book of his i keep right beside the handloading manuals.

Paul,did you make a decision yet on your muffler set up or would it be cheaper in the long run to just get the hell outta there?

Ernie Misner 03-29-2014 11:02 PM

I don't have a Turboheader muffler yet but am about to order one for my 82 and one for my 100. Didn't I hear that they don't have a baffle? If so, doesn't sound good for a noise sensitive field. Any loss in muffler/tank pressure with the Turboheader? I like the idea of being lighter because of less vibration and stress on the header pipe itself.

Rudolph Hart 03-29-2014 11:10 PM

Ernie the turboheader muffler on my 82 does run a very good baffle.On the other hand my 220 turboheader appears to be straight thru.

blw 03-30-2014 07:21 PM

Mine for the smaller engines does have one.

bob62 04-05-2014 06:24 PM

I had one on a 150 Saito, the baffel came loose and plugged the muffler. Contacted Jim and he sent me a new one and it has no baffel. I can not tell the difference between no baffel and the one that had the baffel.

rcspec 01-24-2018 08:32 AM

I just came across this thread. The TH12x1A TurboHeader was tested and at full throttle is 110db at 10 feet. Older versions of some of our mufflers had a baffle. All models now do not have a baffle. Call me if you have any baffle issues.

Jim

Rudolph Hart 01-26-2018 10:39 PM

I'll take this opportunity to thank you for the beautifully made turbo headers for my saito 82 and 220 jim,cheers

rcspec 01-27-2018 05:17 AM

Thank you, Old Fart! We have a great product. We now have a dealer down your way. Albury RC Models.

Jim

Rudolph Hart 01-27-2018 11:12 PM

He's a four day motorcycle ride from where i am but it's a good excuse to saddle up :)