RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Glow Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/)
-   -   Huge fan of glow power! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/11656479-huge-fan-glow-power.html)

Multi-Engine Guy 11-10-2018 04:02 PM

Huge fan of glow power!

As much as the industry seems to want to remove glow powered models from existence. I for one hope that they fail. I am a glow flyer and that's it.
I personally find anything electric powered, with the exception of EDF's, completely boring.
Let me clarify, I am only talking fixed wing aircraft here.
I think edf's are really cool, and I even have a couple.

But I much prefer glow powered aircraft. Even still have one small glow powered ducted fan jet. Man, it really gets a lot of attention at the field when I start it up, and take it up to
around twenty thousand rpm!
I mostly fly Saito and O.S four stroke engines, .20's through .120's.
I also own and use around ten or so O.S. 46sf ABC two strokes.
So, good to see that there others that, and I know a few electric guys that are done with the cost of disposable batteries and, are flying glow!

1QwkSport2.5r 11-10-2018 04:28 PM

I’m a surface, air, and marine glow guy. From .049 up to 1.20 4-stroke; nothing is off limits. Long live glow!!

BalsaGhost 11-10-2018 04:50 PM

Here here!
I tried to get away from glow for awhile, but the ridiculous cost of batteries, short flight time, charge time, and safety hassle finally turned me away. I just ordered a BRAND NEW .46AX this morning for my new kit build Sig Somethin Extra.

I don't care about the oil residue (Simple Green for cleanup) and fly my glow powered planes more than ever. Long live glow!

Gasoline would be cool, but for every 1 that runs great there's 6 that are always being tuned on.

Hobbsy 11-10-2018 05:17 PM

I ran my first glow in 1956 when I was 14, a McCoy 36, (which I still Have) and I ain't gonna quit.

TomCrump 11-11-2018 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by Hobbsy (Post 12477611)
I ran my first glow in 1956 when I was 14, and I ain't gonna quit.

Me, too, but I was 9 in 1956. LOL

Most of my models are glow powered, but I enjoy gassers and electrics too.

hsukaria 11-11-2018 08:46 AM

I had a few electric park flyers when I was new to RC planes. I seemed to not take them seriously for some reason. When (not if) I crashed them, I didn't seem to care. Finally one day a Lipo shorted out in my field box. Luckily I was still at the field and not driving or at home. I dropped out of electrics after that. I did enjoy the EDF's and flying wings, but safety first!!

I got into the gasser craze after that and after many travails with carbs and ignitions malfunctioning, as well as some interference problems that were not expected, I settled on only two gassers. One of them is still giving me fits after 2 years of trying to make it fully dependable. The hype about them being convenient and low cost is just that, hype. Most all the guys at the club end up having to buy giant engine starters because they don't easily start by hand after the carb and ignition wear out a bit. Have you noticed all the ads for jumbo starters?

So, glow it is!! I have glow engines from 0.10 to .60 c.i. 2 stroke mostly. I have 4-strokes from .56 to .91 c.i..

Multi-Engine Guy 11-11-2018 01:40 PM

Gassers Cheap?

Although I do not currently have or have any intentions of using
Gasoline power, I personally have nothing against them.
I just don't fly planes big enough to really need to go that route.
My .90 to .120 size planes fly just fine on .120 glow four strokes.
But I mostly fly .40 to .50 size warbirds.
I used to be an Aviation Fueler, Avgas and Jet-A.
And I know how freakin' dangerous petroleum fuel fumes are!
Most Gas flyers that I see, seem to have no clue!
Transporting their gas planes inside of their vehicles, along with more cans of Gasoline. Gas fumes don't simply catch fire, they explode!

Personally I hate the smell of Gasoline, Diesel even more so!
I don't want it on my skin or in my lungs.
Besides being flammable and explosive, it is also highly carcinogenic. Cheap compared to glow fuel? There are other variables to be considered.
And besides with smaller displacement engines, I don't go through glow fuel all that fast, except when flying multi-engine planes.
But the awesome sound they create is worth the extra cost, not counting the safety/health concerns with gas.
Plus, I am not a big fan of the sound two stroke gas engines make, most of them just sound like a weed eater to me.
And the multi-engine ones just sound like multiple weed eaters to me.
I have yet to even see one four stroke gas powered plane at the field, so I can't comment on those.
Except for the fact that I don't want to pay the price that they want for a Saito or O.S. four stroke gasser.
And apparently, neither does anyone else I know.

speedracerntrixie 11-11-2018 03:15 PM

I grew up on glow engines. I still have a fondness for anything Webra, Enya and OS made prior to 1990. I currently have an OS .61 powered helicopter and a YS 140 powered Biplane in my fleet. I also have a few electrics and a gasoline powered airplane. I realize this thread is about glow engines and frankly I am of the opinion that it should stay there however there have been IMO some misconceptions about gasoline engines thrown into the thread. I myself have been running gasoline engines since 1997. During that time I have not experienced anything less reliable then glow power. In fact my own experience has been that they are more reliable and have a longer service life. Most issues I have seen guys having are usually self inflicted, however I would hold that statement true for guys having issues with glow engines as well. At the end of the day regardless of the power plant, it's all about enjoying your hobby. That being said, nothing gets my attention faster then an old school pattern airplane with a piped .60 five feet off the deck with the gear up and doing 120 mph.

the Wasp 11-11-2018 07:27 PM

a glow engine is simply a work of art !

Jim

speedracerntrixie 11-11-2018 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by the Wasp (Post 12477910)
a glow engine is simply a work of art !

Jim

Jim, I would certainly agree but art just like beauty is in the eye of the beholder. That said, I see beauty in all of these.https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...5ed7b0b115.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...ac7230fafc.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...d2b0b0635f.png

fiery 11-13-2018 12:13 AM

I see a misemployed hair dryer motor in that set :p

Seriously, Electric is great for EDF's. I once watched a TD .09 DF powered Heinkel 162 struggle to get into the air. Now, smaller DF aircraft are a snap with electric.

But as far as general propeller power is concerned, I'll always fly liquid fuel. Electric is like kissing your Aunt with a peck on the cheek as a teen. No challenge, and nil fun.

Multi-Engine Guy 11-13-2018 12:49 AM

Misemployed hair dryer motor.

Fiery, hah! I see that we are in complete agreement!
Just got back from my R/C club meeting.
One of the topics was some of the M. I.A. Vendors at the AMA show last weekend.
I belong the Scale Squadron of Southern California, and they have a booth there every year.
And who was missing may be a "tell" as to what is going on
in the industry.
Electric vendors were missing. Castle Creations wasn't there. And there were others as well.
If they weren't there, there is usually only one reason,
they're not doing well.
We have two different club flying fields here in Orange County. And here's what I see. Mostly gas, then Glow, and a smattering of electric, mostly EDF's.
But most importantly, more glow than electric.
There used to be more big electric prop jobs than there are today. Most of these were 1/3 scale aerobatic 3d types.
But the majority of those guys have gone back to gasoline.
I guess these guys are finally figuring out that electric is the most expensive way to fly, not the cheapest like the industry was telling us originally, as well as the most inconvenient .
These electric guys do a hell of a lot of sitting around waiting for batteries to charge.
I only fly glow, so my flying days consist of a lot of flying.
Fuel, fly, land, fuel, fly, land etc.
All the while why these guys are still sitting in their chairs, waiting for their batteries to charge.
Screw that, I like to fly, and not be doing non-stop maintenance all the while.

speedracerntrixie 11-13-2018 05:01 AM

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...58fbdda6c.jpeg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...2136d3217.jpeg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...bebe3282f.jpeg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...934e8386c0.jpg

Originally Posted by fiery (Post 12478251)
I see a misemployed hair dryer motor in that set :p

Seriously, Electric is great for EDF's. I once watched a TD .09 DF powered Heinkel 162 struggle to get into the air. Now, smaller DF aircraft are a snap with electric.

But as far as general propeller power is concerned, I'll always fly liquid fuel. Electric is like kissing your Aunt with a peck on the cheek as a teen. No challenge, and nil fun.

Hardly, that hairdryer swings a 20.5x13.5 at 6,700. That gives this F3A airplane close to 2:1 power to weight.

Multi-Engine Guy 11-13-2018 09:48 AM

Electric f3a plane

Spaceagetrixie, yeah, that's great.
I think that we're all aware of what big batteries are capable of doing.
And seriously, no one like me really gives a rat's ass.
Your plane to me regardless of what it's capable of doing,
I don't care, it's an electric powered prop plane and to me
it's boring as hell. I don't watch electric prop planes ever, on YouTube, or at the field.
I started this thread to talk about glow powered airplanes,
not get into a pissing contest with electric flyers.

Now, I am aware that you like to fly all types of power systems and that's great! If you read my original post,
I don't think that I was bashing anyone, just sharing my preference for glow power.
So please, share your electric sentiments over on some other pro electric thread, and let's talk about glow power!
If you don't mind me asking, just how much money did those disposable batteries that are in that plane cost you?
And I don't mean all of the batteries that it uses throughout a day of flying so that you don't just sit around waiting for them to charge, I mean just the one set. How much?

speedracerntrixie 11-13-2018 11:22 AM

Each battery set ( dual 5 cell 4300 mah ) were 128.00.

The point to my posts is not ment to offend anyone, just an effort to set the record straight. There were things that were posted about gasoline and electric power that simply were not true. Be 100% devoted to glow power if you want and I have no issues with that. It’s when people start spreading misinformation about other power sources it becomes more then supporting your choices, it crosses the line to forcing your opinions onto others . Like I said, I am a fan of glow power as well but make my choices based on facts and not hearsay.

TomCrump 11-13-2018 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie (Post 12478372)
Each battery set ( dual 5 cell 4300 mah ) were 128.00.

It’s when people start spreading misinformation about other power sources it becomes more then supporting your choices, it crosses the line to forcing your opinions onto others .

Well said.

the Wasp 11-13-2018 06:51 PM

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...09fa76e68e.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...4e988b1883.jpg
here are a couple photos of 2 engines I bought this year,

the black engine is a rear induction HP Gold Cup 61, the first version of this engine was once known to be the most powerful 61 size engine that could be bought, but that was a long time ago. the parts for this engine were made some 35 or 40 years ago, and it was put together this summer for my order, I noticed that after I had ordered it the price jumped $60, ouch.
the Saito is a 1,15 and it weighs only 1.2oz more than the OS 61FX (< both engines less mufflers), yet with mufflers the 1.15 weighs .20oz less than the OS 61, that is a big difference in power to weigh ratio out of the box..

I will have to get photos of the other 3 glow engines I bought this year

Jim

hsukaria 11-13-2018 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie (Post 12478275)

speedracer, can some of these new pattern planes be converted to use a 4-stroke glow engine? It sure looks purdy. I have a couple of classic pattern planes with 2-stroke glow, but I would like to try the newer style with 4-stroke engine. Great Planes used to sell a reasonably priced plane named Sequence 1.20 that could use a 4-stroke glow but they discontinued it. Must not have sold enough.

My engines are much more "humble" than what has been shown here.:)

speedracerntrixie 11-13-2018 07:12 PM

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...cbb5b480b6.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...0866fa5b73.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...854d5eec70.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...5aabdba7d8.png
Very nice! I really enjoy a special engine with a story behind it. That HP is one rare engine for sure. One of my favorite engines is a YS 140 DZ that was given to me by a fellow RCU member. He had gotten it after a friend of his had the crank pin shear. It was in pretty bad shape but I sent it off to Richard Verano who pieced it back together for me. He used the crank from the 160 DZ because it has a heavier counter weight. This 140 resides in a 1988 Circus Hobbies Reed Falcon. An airplane I had wanted for almost 30 years before I managed to get my hands on one.

speedracerntrixie 11-13-2018 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by hsukaria (Post 12478517)
speedracer, can some of these new pattern planes be converted to use a 4-stroke glow engine? It sure looks purdy. I have a couple of classic pattern planes with 2-stroke glow, but I would like to try the newer style with 4-stroke engine. Great Planes used to sell a reasonably priced plane named Sequence 1.20 that could use a 4-stroke glow but they discontinued it. Must not have sold enough.

My engines are much more "humble" than what has been shown here.:)

Yes, outside of the US glow power is more popular for the modern pattern airplanes. The YS 175 through 200 engines being the most popular. There are designs made specifically for glow. Structurally my Divergent design would not fare well with the vibration of a large 4 stroke.

Multi-Engine Guy 11-13-2018 07:35 PM

Misemployed hair dryer motor?

Speedracerntrixie, just what are you referring to?
I looked back through this thread and I am not exactly sure what misinformation that you're referring to.
. Can you give me a specific quote?

the Wasp 11-13-2018 07:46 PM

that's a pretty bi plane, I like how the canopy and tail feathers are so round, a bit of old time in it,,

I like open cockpit planes and planes from the 30s, see what I am doing to my crashed Four Star 60, I will be rounding the tips of the wing and I will be putting a Saito 100 Twin in it with the Four Star 64 cowl,, I have to say that a few weeks after I moved the cockpit back I realized I moved it back too far, but it's there to stay now, it will help with CG with the Saito Twin.. people will ask "what's that" I will have to tell them it's a very well known plane and to take a good long look at it and guess,, I will have to change pilots, pilot's shouldn't wear baseball caps in open cockpit planes
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...2edf30e733.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...b024d731c0.jpg

speedracerntrixie 11-13-2018 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by BalsaGhost (Post 12477599)
Here here!
I tried to get away from glow for awhile, but the ridiculous cost of batteries, short flight time, charge time, and safety hassle finally turned me away.

The cost of batteries have come way down and both battery and charger technology has gotten much better reducing charge times while making charging much safer. Most battery combustion happened while charging.

speedracerntrixie 11-13-2018 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by hsukaria (Post 12477765)

I got into the gasser craze after that and after many travails with carbs and ignitions malfunctioning, as well as some interference problems that were not expected, I settled on only two gassers. One of them is still giving me fits after 2 years of trying to make it fully dependable. The hype about them being convenient and low cost is just that, hype. Most all the guys at the club end up having to buy giant engine starters because they don't easily start by hand after the carb and ignition wear out a bit. Have you noticed all the ads for jumbo starters?

As with anything new we try there is a learing curve. Just as some guys seem to have issues running glow until they figure things out or have someone step up and lend a hand, running a gasoline engine requires a learing curve as well. Having glow experience can in some cases lead to issues. I have seen guys not run fuel filters on gasoline engines because they got away with not using them on their glow engines. On a gas engine once the needles are set you should leave them alone, guys with glow experience tend to want to tweak the needles. Older ignition systems had a very narrow voltage range and many ignitions were blown by hooking up too much voltage. Plug caps need to fully inserted onto spark plugs and not be pried off with a screw driver. Any plug cap damage can cause RF issues. Not long ago I had a 150cc twin that served on 4 airplanes and had over 2,000 flights on it before it hit the ground and broke both cylinders off the case. Like a quality glow engine, a quality gasoline engine have no longevity issues.

Multi-Engine Guy 11-13-2018 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie (Post 12478533)

The cost of batteries have come way down and both battery and charger technology has gotten much better reducing charge times while making charging much safer. Most battery combustion happened while charging.

That guy sounded like he was just giving his opinion.
Not misinformation. If what he said is what you're referring to, I think you're off base. He just said that batteries are ridiculously expensive.
You apparently don't think so, but he does.
I honestly still think batteries are expensive myself as well.
Altough I definitely agree that they have come down in price.
As for me, for just the cost of those two batteries in your airplane, at $128 each, I could buy at least two and a half cases of glow fuel.
That's about a year of flying for me with my small displacement engine glow planes.
That's if I was flying almost every weekend (I wish).

As far as batteries mostly only having combustion issues during charging, they can still combust when not being charged.
Ask Rich Uravitch, who lost his van, planes and equipment, while his van was parked overnight. Nothing was being charged at the time
One of my local R/C clubs won't allow any lipo batteries to be stored anywhere on the premises.
They also had a stored battery go poof and it was not being charged at the time.
I keep hearing about graphene battery technology and how it will make lipos safer to store and be able to be charged much faster without the risk of combustion,or much lower.
I don't know squat about it, and can't find much info on it for R/C usage, but it sounds like just what we need.

Now, I am finished talking about electric planes.
This is a glow forum. Says "Glow" right on it.
I just want to talk about glow stuff.
The only person who has defended, posted pics of, or wants to talk about electric planes is you.
Yes, I shared the fact that I think that electric prop planes are boring and I am entitled to my opinion.
If you're going to continue on about electric crap, or that I'm trying to sway anyone's opinion,
I am just going to ignore it.
But if you want to talk about glow power, great..