RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Glow Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/)
-   -   Engine cleaning, Crock pot antifreeze, Is this heat really necessary?? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/11664345-engine-cleaning-crock-pot-antifreeze-heat-really-necessary.html)

Lost Glider 05-04-2019 08:02 PM

Engine cleaning, Crock pot antifreeze, Is this heat really necessary??

I live in an apartment, and have read that heating the antifreeze gives off bad fumes. So I decided to put the engines in without heating. It did a pretty good job, except for the stuff that's totally fried on. Will heating the antifreeze breakdown that fried on stuff?

bhorton 05-05-2019 08:40 AM

Yes it will clean it. But I don't think I would heat the antifreeze inside an apartment. I don't know if the fumes would be hazardous but it would smell bad.

RCFlyerDan 05-05-2019 04:30 PM

This may sound dumb, but don’t burn your hands picking it up when you use a stiff bristled brush to brush the dirt off. 🔥 You have to brush it while it is hot for best results. One of the most important thing to do afterwards, especially if not going to run it soon. Make sure that you you flood it with after run oil, 3-1, gun oil, or any light oil to get the rinse water out of the bearings. It does stinks, so yes, make sure that you have plenty of ventilation. Even leaving it outside in the crockpot overnight on low for a good 12 hours. There must be an outdoor outlet on your patio.

the Wasp 05-05-2019 06:33 PM

hot antifreeze,
you can remove the antifreeze with WD40, then rinse the WD off the case with rubbing alcohol. I rinse the bearings too with R-alcohol, then oil once the engine is back together I oil it,
if the case comes out a bit grey from the antifreeze don't worry about it, just rub the WD into the case and the grey should go away

Jim

RocketRob 01-04-2020 06:25 AM

Thank you Wasp,
I remember cooking off engines and them turning a dark dull grey = will try the WD 40. Glad it is useful for something!

the Wasp 01-04-2020 09:08 PM

people say of you cook them at a lower temp they wont turn grey

Jim

RocketRob 01-05-2020 04:05 AM

Thank you, I will try the low setting on my pot Next Time. As I just turned off the high setting on this morning's batch. I haven't looked inside yet.

J330 01-11-2020 12:52 PM

This practice by itself simply sounds shady to me. At least do the overhaul that goes with the cosmetic work. That I'd respect. It's far more ethical. ​​​​​​I rather see the true age of an engine with it's stains and character than be fooled. I never read a classified stated the engine was cleaned up from an antifreeze treatment. I sure do avoid grey engines at any price. As soon as I open the box it's easy to discover what my seller was up to so the game doesn't last, I just return junk to junk flippers. The age of these engines are judged by their appearance, and that's been altered by you. Antifreeze won't restore compression, or your feedback. If you're overhauling the engine then cosmetically it makes sense to restore its appearance, but I'm not reading that in this thread. Do you run these bathed engines afterwards or just list them for sale and hope the buyer has good luck? Why clean bearings when replacing them is easy to do and not expensive? Just antifreeze alone, and leaving everything else worn is spraying perfume on a "lady of the night", and then selling her off as a woman just married, husband died after the honeymoon. I wouldn't want to get stuck with either one, would you?

the Wasp 01-11-2020 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by J330 (Post 12575354)
This practice by itself simply sounds shady to me. At least do the overhaul that goes with the cosmetic work. That I'd respect. It's far more ethical. ​​​​​​I rather see the true age of an engine with it's stains and character than be fooled. I never read a classified stated the engine was cleaned up from an antifreeze treatment. I sure do avoid grey engines at any price. As soon as I open the box it's easy to discover what my seller was up to so the game doesn't last, I just return junk to junk flippers. The age of these engines are judged by their appearance, and that's been altered by you. Antifreeze won't restore compression, or your feedback. If you're overhauling the engine then cosmetically it makes sense to restore its appearance, but I'm not reading that in this thread. Do you run these bathed engines afterwards or just list them for sale and hope the buyer has good luck? Why clean bearings when replacing them is easy to do and not expensive? Just antifreeze alone, and leaving everything else worn is spraying perfume on a "lady of the night", and then selling her off as a woman just married, husband died after the honeymoon. I wouldn't want to get stuck with either one, would you?

yes that is the hole idea, clean the parts and rebuild the engine. but on the other hand, I have a ThunderTiger 40 with a Bushing (no ball bearings) that I bought used, it's compression is very-very good, but it had castor oil burned all over it, so I tanked it and it's clean now with that great compression. I removed the head and carb and back plate when I tanked it.
if some one cleans a bad engine and sells it as a good engine then that is on them, not the honest person that just wants to clean his engine. I could sell my ThunderTiger in good faith, the 2nd photo shows how good the piston is. it's for sale

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...43ca8e2da2.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...0bc82c25f6.jpg

Jim

KCLC 03-01-2021 03:49 AM

Engine cleaning

A much more humane treatment for the outside of an engine is to use something like DAWN Power Dissolve. If you can find it, it will readily take off baked on castor oil. I just recently bought a twin pack from AMAZON, not cheap, works. about $20 for the 2. Also it doesn't discolor the engine. You may have to scrub with an old toothbrush.

Lost Glider 03-01-2021 10:04 AM

DAWN Power Dissolve has been hard to come by, how does Dawn Ultra Platinum Power Wash work on engines?

KCLC 03-01-2021 06:56 PM

I haven't used that product, you have to try it and report back.

the Wasp 03-02-2021 06:11 PM

I put that Dawn in the antifreeze to soak