RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Glow Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/)
-   -   Crockpot antifreeze cleaning recommendations (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/11695364-crockpot-antifreeze-cleaning-recommendations.html)

GlowKC 12-03-2021 08:44 AM

Crockpot antifreeze cleaning recommendations

Just a quick question for you experts. My car uses decks cool for general motors and I keep some of that on the shelf usually will that work in the crockpot to clean engines? Or do I need to buy normal antifreeze

1967brutus 12-06-2021 07:27 AM

You want the undiluted antifreeze, not the ready to use coolant.

GlowKC 12-06-2021 10:54 AM

Will Dex cool work as well. I run GM cars.

1967brutus 12-06-2021 11:05 AM

Doesn't matter what you run. Coolant is not antifreeze. It is about the straight undiluted antifreeze.

aspeed 12-07-2021 08:26 AM

I always heard the old type is what to use, undiluted, and I have used that. It is green, not the Dexcool Chevy stuff. Not the new OAT or HOAT stuff for sure. I don't use it any more though, just the Dawn or Dollar Tree concentrated LA Totally Awesome stuff. I think the heat from the crock pot is not worth the trouble except on carboned up mufflers.

1967brutus 12-09-2021 03:28 PM

I still use it for engines that have been messed up by Castor residue, but it is a job for the patient...

I use an old deepfryer, with temperature control.

1QwkSport2.5r 12-12-2021 05:24 AM

Green or universal yellow antifreeze, undiluted, and LOW LOW LOW LOW heat!!!!!!!! Dexcool is garbage.

1967brutus 12-13-2021 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r (Post 12706593)
and LOW LOW LOW LOW heat!!!!!!!!

Buy the cheapest low-tech deepfryer. They usually have excellent temperature control down to 70 deg C (158F)

Jesse Open 12-14-2021 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by aspeed (Post 12705746)
I always heard the old type is what to use, undiluted, and I have used that. It is green, not the Dexcool Chevy stuff. Not the new OAT or HOAT stuff for sure. I don't use it any more though, just the Dawn or Dollar Tree concentrated LA Totally Awesome stuff. I think the heat from the crock pot is not worth the trouble except on carboned up mufflers.

Yes, quite correct. The Dexcool is a totally different animal and quite ineffective.

The Ethylene Glycol, greenish-yellow Prestone type is the stuff to use.

The Totally Awesome comes in to flavors as well. Use the original yellowish stuff, DO NOT use the newer, orangey stuff.

Jesse Open 12-14-2021 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by aspeed (Post 12705746)

Yes, quite correct. The Dexcool is a totally different animal and quite ineffective.

The Ethylene Glycol, greenish-yellow Prestone type is the stuff to use.

The Totally Awesome comes in two flavors as well. Use the original yellowish stuff, DO NOT use the newer, orangey stuff.

I have always used Totally awesome in a heated ultrasonic cleaner, not a crockpot.

GlowKC 12-15-2021 08:04 AM

Ended up following ALL your advice, bought the Preston concentrate and the totally awesome. Both are great. Used the totally Awesome cleaner in my ultrasonic for some super fast and through cleaning. Crockpot takes hours. The Totally Awesome cleaner lifted the blue paint off my high compression button head from the Evo 46NX in seconds. It looks good though as it had a few chips.