RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Glow Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/)
-   -   Value of a unused Enya 90-4c with muffler (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/11705475-value-unused-enya-90-4c-muffler.html)

BladeR200 02-28-2023 05:17 AM

Value of a unused Enya 90-4c with muffler

Hi

I'm trying to sell some of my fathers old stuff for my mom. He passed away several years ago, and I haven't gotten myself to sell the huge collection of model airplane stuff. Mostly because I have little clue of the value and not always can give the proper description. I'm not totally lost in the area though and I dont think bringing it to a local club is a good idea, at least not for the place I live.

Does anyone have hints on how to move forward with such a case, what are good marked places, how to get advice?
And to comply with the "title", what could be the appropriate ask value of an unused, boxed Enya 90-4C, with matching muffler?

Reason for asking is that I do not even know if these are popular and used any more. If there is any value in it being unused or if that just means the sealings have dried out. And the list goes on.

Best Regards
Kim T

LLRCFlyer 02-28-2023 09:07 AM

Enya 90-4C worth?

Its very difficult to tell the worth of a larger glow engine anymore. I looked at eBay and saw a New-In-Box (NIB) Enya .90-4C listed for $420. I seriously doubt they will ever get near that much. Even though the Enya .90-4C is still a really great engine, it would be competing against 15cc (.90) gasoline two stroke engines that sell new for $250. I saw NIB Enya .90-4C engines actually selling on RC Universe and RC Groups for $125-$150 about two to three years ago. The fact that it is NIB helps, assuming of course that it still looks show-room perfect, no rust, no corrosion, turns over smoothly, good bearings, etc. Enya is known for making very long lasting and great running engines. An Enya will always be preferred over a similar size Magnum engine. I still fly an Enya .53-4C that is 27 years old, and an Enya R120-4C that is 35 years old. Both still run perfectly.

The price of glow fuel at $25 to $30 per gallon has caused many modelers to convert to electric or gasoline engines when considering engines larger than a .46 size 2C or a .65 size 4-C. Therefore, the resale market for larger glow engines is relatively low and slow. I know several modelers who have actually given away all of their larger glow engines rather than try to sell them.

That being said, it is only worth what you can get for it. How you market it can make a difference. If your dad has a lot of matched items such as NIB airplane kits and matching size engines, you might do better selling items as bundle deals at one of the larger model swap shows. For example, I have a NIB Enya R-120-4C and a relatively rare NIB Carl Goldberg Bucker Jungmann biplane that I got at an estate sale. Each is probably worth around $300. The plane would sell quickly as it is still in high demand and is no longer produced, but the engine not so much. Use a kit to help sell the engine. If I ever do decide to sell it rather than build it, I would probably take the engine and kit to a swap meet and list the pair at $600 and hope to get $500 so as not to be stuck with an engine or plane that didn't sell. If your dad had something like a NIB Great Planes Ultra Sport .60 kit, which would be a perfect match for the Enya .90-4-C, then you could bundle the two for $450 in order to help sell the engine.

If you try a straight sale on eBay, I would suggest listing the Enya .90-4C at $250 and hope to get $175.

Good luck!

FlyerInOKC 03-01-2023 09:05 AM

Kim, go over to RC Groups forum ( https://www.rcgroups.com ) They do a lot more buying and selling over there and you can get an idea of the worth of the stuff you have. I and a lot of my flying friends don't bother even looking at Ebay the prices are not to be taken seriously on most items. At we have all been burned by both buyers and sellers. On RC Groups a reasonably priced Enya 4C will sell fairly quick over there. A number of Enya enthusiasts, me included, watch the classified ads over there. Now, if you have any Top Flite Gold Edition kits you find they will bring a pretty penny and sell quickly as do a lot of kits.

Mike

BladeR200 03-05-2023 01:24 PM

Thank you so much both of you for detailed, well considered answers. I will head over to rcgroups and might list some things there.

The story behind the engine was that my father bought it togheter with the Robbe Piper Super Cub. Then I he got me the skydiver, Robbe Charly for christmas all in an attempt do a project together. The skydiver was controllable and would be lifted by the Super Cub. My father was however a silent/soaring flight by heart so projects like these and sooo many other ideas and purchases remained in the box or was half finished. As you know there is great happiness in just dreaming about when these things would one day be in the air, so only good memories ;-)

The plane and the skydiver have been built 10% so its more dificult for me to "collect" as a complete set, but not impossible. Would it be an idea to attempt to collect it and list it all together?

Pictures of engine is mine, rest is reference. (That skydiver is huge, fits two standard size servos in the body to control the arms.)

Thanks again for your answer.

/Kim
(wasn't allowed to upload pictures before 10 posts are done so those have to wait for later)

LLRCFlyer 03-07-2023 07:05 PM

How to sell

Once you have made 10 posts and are allowed to upload pictures, go to the Buy and Sell section of RC Universe. There you can list the items you have for sale and see what response you get. You can try bundling some items, but as you said, a sky diver may not bundle well with a Piper Cub. THE Buy and Sell section may give you an idea of what things are selling for.