RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Glow Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/)
-   -   YS 110 needle valve setting questions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/1379938-ys-110-needle-valve-setting-questions.html)

Wolfpack 12-27-2003 12:20 AM

YS 110 needle valve setting questions

OK took my 110 to the field on a test stand, I have both needles set out about 1.5 turns. Previously I ran about 1/2 gallon through this engine already. It fired right up, but seemed to be runnig rich. A person who was running a ys 91 came over and started helping, said it was running rich and fuel would bubble out of the carb when the engine stopped. I took the advise of this board and ran the regulator setting all the way in and then back out again to the initial setting (mine was 2 turns from the factory). This seemed to help the carb bubbling for the most part, not completely, but it was much better.

Upon running (we did not have a tack with us) he leaned the high speed out to about 1.25 turns out, and the low speed 3.5 turns out.
The engine was running good (that is what they told me, I personally do not know a thing about 4 strokes, this is my first one), it idles nice and low, and no hesitiation upon throttling up... soo, it looks like its tuned in, but still running a tad rich.

I have two questions:

1. should I be worried that my low speed is 3.5 turns out, when the factory recommends starting at 1.5 turns? It seems way off from factory settings.

2. The carb. is still getting a little extra fuel when turned off, this sounds - from what little I know - like the diaphram in the regulator is not seating, any thoughts? they told me to put it on the plane and run it, and that the diaphram will probably just seat itself after a while. he also said that sometimes ys ships them with the spring mounted upside down, so the narrow part of the spring is against the diaphram and the wider part is against the needle valve, and that it should be assembled in reverse....

I am mostly concerned with question one, any thoughts...? thanks!

ChuckAuger 12-27-2003 01:01 AM

RE: YS 110 needle valve setting questions

If the engine is running good, I wouldn't worry about the factory settings. They are just ballpark to get the thing running....that is, after all, why the needles are on it.

If it's not dripping too much (gushing out), and the engine is running good, then I think I'd fly the thing and bleed the pressure off as soon as you land. Keep an eye on it to see if it gets worse or better.

After you get a handle on fine tuning, it's possible you can screw the regulator in a tad more and make it seat more firmly and richen the low end needle. If you are checking your idle at anything higher than 2000 RPM, you might be into the midrange (controlled by the regulator screw) and this midrange might be a little rich, which you are compensating with the idle needle.

Try running it at 3500 RPM and see if it loads up. If it does, then you can lean the regulator a little. And be sure to set the Idle needle with the enigine running at no more than 2200 or so.

If it's running good, though, I'd fly it.