RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Glow Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/)
-   -   Everything Radial Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/3136200-everything-radial-engines.html)

SOUTHERNX 07-14-2010 06:49 PM

RE: Everything Radial Engines

Hi Guys, on some of the gas powered radial engines, a separate lube system is used on the cam gear,it does not rely on the oil in the petrol mix. Is this supplied by an internal pump driven by the crank or cam shafts, andis it supplied by an oil tank in the engine or is it external.I have looked at many pictures of these radials and cannot see any external tanks, only the pulse pump for the carby pump.Any answers? Mark.

redball8 07-16-2010 11:17 AM

UMS Seidel 9-90 arrived today, and must admit to being disappointed that it did not have the nice presentation box the 7-70 has (had?). Guess this is not much of a surprise, given stories of broken boxes in shipment. Now it's just a plain cardboard box, with some polyolefin foam sheet, some pour-in foam at the corners, a big honking polyethylene rod over the crank end, and a bit of shrink-wrap around the cylinders. Very good protection, lousy presentation. Wish the would have at least put the works in a cardboard box with their name printed on it!

- RB8

77chickenhawk 07-16-2010 11:37 AM

still would love to see your new beast

Dad_Roman 07-16-2010 09:36 PM

Thats somewhat of a shocker!

Id like to see it if you dont have it unpacked yet?

....course Id like to see it unpacked also:D

stevesak 07-17-2010 10:17 PM

My 990 arrived yesterday also. Ditto on the packaging. It came in a cardboard box, which was wrapped in strange green paper. Unwrapping the green paper revealed a clean undamaged cardboard box. Opening the box, there were three layers of foam, with th instructions tucked between two of them. All four sides had foam walls also. I also observed that the four corners of the box has that pourable foam stuff to keep the engine from moving during transit. The cylinders were also shrink wrapped.

OK... So it was packed well, but not nicely.... When compared to the bang-up job that technopower did on the new 9C, there was really no contest. My ST-996 from the 1990s,, however, had that awesome plywood box and was bolted to the back.... Not much branding involved, but it is really cool.

I suppose thtat packaging isn't really a big deal, though. What we are buying is an engine, after all.... Not a box to put it in.

...but I was somewhat disappointed with the quality and presentation of the engine itself when I removed it from the box. I noted them following issues or shortcomings...

The finish of the bar stock parts mostly look all scratched up and mishandled. When I look at my OS Sirius, all of the shiney (non cast) bits, they are all a absolutely perfect. My new Seidel looks like garage work.... Really good garage work, but not professionally presentable or polished.

the instruction sheet looks like it was printed on a pc and is poorly bound.

The entire engine was covered with grime. I imagine that they must have test run it and never cleaned it afterwards. I find now that I'm cleaning it off with cotton patches an toothpicks, much like Ive cleaned so many used engines that i've purchased in the past.

My overall impression is somewhat positive... I got a 9 cly engine from Seidel for $1000 less than a new one costed 20 years ago, so that makes me happy. When comparing my Seidel 996 with my new 990, it became clear that by outsourcing, the outward quality has suffered. It seems that in most industries, outsourcing yields a decent enough product underneath, but without the attention to detail and pride that comes with true ownership and doing the job yourself. Hopefully, the machining of the internal components is still up to par.

In summary, I would make the purchase again even with the above info in mind. I'm still overall happy and excited to receive my new 990!

redball8 07-18-2010 06:57 AM

Pics of Seidel 990 packaging

redball8 07-18-2010 07:01 AM

And this is the Seidel 990 out of the box, plus a shot of the 770 in its wooden box. I pretty much agree with stevesak, the 990 packaging is disappointing but not a show-stopper. - RB8

SJN 07-18-2010 07:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
the 990 looks awesome.

Check out this "Rad Cam" Radial engine.......horrible little 2 stroke :)

Dad_Roman 07-18-2010 09:08 AM

Wow...you dont see to many EVEN numbered cylider radials!

Prolly why its horrible. I used to know why radials had odd numbered cyliders but I have forgotten.

Glad my 770 wasnt packaged like that. I dont believe it would have made it without damage from seeing the lick the wooden box absorbed!

redball8 07-18-2010 10:00 AM

I decided to have the Seidels shipped via EMS - cost another $50 or so, but maybe that's why the 770 made it intact, wooden box and all? - RB8

Maxam 07-18-2010 10:24 AM

Did you guys with the 990 get yours shipped with EMS or Singapore post. I paid for EMS but HK used this other carrier and they are dog slow! -Tom

Dad_Roman 07-18-2010 03:03 PM

ORIGINAL: Maxam

Did you guys with the 990 get yours shipped with EMS or Singapore post. I paid for EMS but HK used this other carrier and they are dog slow! -Tom
You got yours in 7 days I thought? That was quicker than me and you ordered after me!

I paid EMS and it went SingPost....still got hammered by somebody.

Kmot 07-18-2010 04:03 PM

I find it enormously amusing that you guys are complaining about the box it came in. [sm=lol.gif]

Did you buy an engine, or a box? :D

It arrived safely, with no damage. That would have been my #1 priority. [sm=thumbup.gif]

redball8 07-18-2010 05:57 PM

Box can be a big deal - to a collector. Not much cache to cardboard,

Kmot 07-18-2010 09:14 PM

I understand your point, however I don't think the UMS engines will ever be collectors items.

abufletcher 07-19-2010 03:02 AM

ORIGINAL: Kmot

I find it enormously amusing that you guys are complaining about the box it came in. [sm=lol.gif]

Did you buy an engine, or a box? :D

It arrived safely, with no damage. That would have been my #1 priority. [sm=thumbup.gif]
You should hear the LEICA camera owners/collectors go on and on about the box their camera came in and whether or not the camera still has the original plastic protector strip on the bottom! And yes not having a box can significantly lower the resale price in some markets.

But yeah, I would love to get one of the Seidel 7-70M's and now might be the best chance I'll ever have since the yen is doing great against the dollar and the euro. (Ironically, I would be selling my Leica M6TTL to help pay for the Seidel.) But what's the deal with "methanol" I'm not up on my alcohol types. Is normal glow fuel methanol-based on is is some other type and if so, would I be buying a useless piece of iron if I couldn't get my hands on methonol-based fuel (which might be the case here in Japan)?

abufletcher 07-19-2010 03:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
BTW, what are the substantive (as well as cosmetic) differences between the UMS produced Seidel and the orginal produced in Germany (in the past)? How it looks is important since in large part I'd be buying this engine so that I don't have to cover it with a dummy engine in good quality WWI scale model.

The first image below shows the 7-70M as shown on the Seidel website. The second shows the image from the UMS website. I wouldn't be too happy if I had ordered the engine based on the former but received the later. Are there really two versions of this engine or is the photo on the Seidel website just of an "old production" engine?

I don't mean to say that I think the "all silver" version looks bad. But I'd like to know what's going to come in the box.

abufletcher 07-19-2010 03:24 AM

BTW, I'm assuming that the Seidel 7-70 would be suitable to use in a 1/4 scale "round cowl" WWI model. I image it could also fly a 1/3 scale Pup or something like that. Actually, it's probably more than enough power for 1/4 scale but would allow a scale diameter prop turning at something like scale speeds. I wouldn't mind cruising at 1/4 throttle! What would be the equivalent in terms of a gas engine or 4-stroke glow engine? I'm imagining something like either an G62 or a 4-stroke 180.

Maxam 07-19-2010 09:01 AM

In regards to my shipping durations, The 7 cylinder came in UMS in 7 days, The second 9 cylinder was shipped Singapore post for some reason. It is the 9 cylinder that is slow. Anyone know the diameter of the Pilot 1 Waco cowl. Looks perfect for the 7 cylinder.

redball8 07-19-2010 05:34 PM

For what it's worth, the factory break-in specs for my Seidel 770 (green card) were 5,250 rpm high speed and 1,350 rpm idle on a 24x8 prop. For the 990 on a 24x10 prop, the specs were 5,100 rpm high speed and 1,400 rpm idle. Not sure they mean anything more than the engine will run, as they seem pretty close for an extra two jugs.

wheels 07-20-2010 01:08 AM

ORIGINAL: redball8

For what it's worth, the factory break-in specs for my Seidel 770 (green card) were 5,250 rpm high speed and 1,350 rpm idle on a 24x8 prop. For the 990 on a 24x10 prop, the specs were 5,100 rpm high speed and 1,400 rpm idle. Not sure they mean anything more than the engine will run, as they seem pretty close for an extra two jugs.
Wow, what deo those suckers weigh?

More cylinders = More drag I guess. Doesn't seem like much power for all that displacement.

Maxam 07-20-2010 03:57 PM

I got my seidel ST9-90 this morning. The mounting dimensions are the same as the 7-70 so it was easy to mount up and run today. After the 4th tank and tapering the oil content it is freeing up and running better and smoother. It was kinda dirty from their test run. They must test run them in a dusty small room. It definitely has more power than the smaller engine....I will report back after about 10 tank runs and the lower oil. -Tom

Dad_Roman 07-20-2010 06:15 PM

Very very very nice!

Im sorry....didnt know you had ordered the 990....my bad;)

abufletcher 07-21-2010 02:30 AM

I'm curious what sorts of WWI models people are flying with the 7-70. Any WWI Seidel users out there?

abufletcher 07-22-2010 02:07 AM

So what's the difference between the ST-710 and the ST-770? Is the later just an update of the now out-of-production ST-710. If so, why the different designation?

Also, in this photo, the exhaust tubes are facing forward compared with other photos of the ST770. What's up with that? Are they movable? I assume that the exhaust can just be vented into the air (with a WWI style cowl) as on the original rotary engines.