RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Glow Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/)
-   -   Welcome to Club SAITO ! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/3306814-welcome-club-saito.html)

FlyerInOKC 03-01-2021 05:10 AM

I can't wait to see it in the air and it should be easy to see too! The black decals on the bottom of the wing will make it easy to see if she is upright or inverted.

Glowgeek 03-01-2021 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by 1200SportsterRider (Post 12666171)
Pinky Plane is "gorguous", a new word.

My Granddaughter would call it Totes Gorge.

FlyerInOKC 03-01-2021 05:36 AM

Show her a picture then offer to help her build one, you'll have her hooked for life! ;)

husafreak 03-01-2021 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC (Post 12666129)
I love the patch! I wonder where I can get one? I lived for a time when I was growing up in Enid, OK home of Vance Air Force base. Vance AFB now days is home to the 71st Flying Training Wing. They have been training pilots there since the 1940s.

​​​​​​https://www.ebay.com/itm/USAF-96TH-F...97.m4902.l9144

I'd send you one but unfortunately I don't have any either! I have a box full of old patches but not, arguably, the best one ;)

FlyerInOKC 03-01-2021 08:03 AM

$7 isn't bad for the patch. I just may order one. Right now I'm trying to solve an airplane storage problem. I got one I am sending to my grandson in Kansas but that still leaves finding a place for Pinky. I got a couple more projects I am dying to start but SWMBO wants the storage issue solved first. Both will be 1/5th scale so they won't be small.

flyingagin 03-01-2021 09:20 AM

For plane storage, I use racks hung from the ceiling in the garage. Just 2x3s suspended in pairs, maybe 2-3 foot apart and parallel (roughly). I drill about half way through for a dowel on one edge. Can put a lot of airplane (disassembled) in them. But since garage is also a wood shop, they sure get dusty. On one rack hung under it a shelf 4'x8' for flat storage of things. I then put shop lights under the racks.
Ken

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...23e3c416d6.jpg

FlyerInOKC 03-01-2021 12:24 PM

I have been using ceiling space in the garage but I have hit the saturation point. I have a wood rack, airplane rack, ladder, garden tools, etc. I also have two garage doors and openers on both. The garage was built built early 60s when all you stored in the garage was the cars, not much room left over at all.

flyingagin 03-01-2021 03:21 PM

Yeah I hear you on room in the garage I was at saturation also, almost. That rack on the left of the pic is 1" above the garage door when it is opened, so I could have built another rack on the opposite side of the door..

Ken

FlyerInOKC 03-01-2021 04:27 PM

I don't have the room between the garage doors and ceiling to put anything.

modeltronics 03-01-2021 05:38 PM

Mike, I had to do a search on SWMBO to figure out what that was.

flyingagin 03-01-2021 07:23 PM

FlyerInOKC is your door one those one piece ones, wood that tilts up and in? That was pretty much in the 70s and back. I had one of those and no they don't let you use any of that space. And the bloody blasted things hinge bracket broke while I has lifting it from inside. I caught it, not a good thing. Man that hurt. And as a sailor at the time I thought I had rather robust command of swearing. Not even close, jeez.. I have since put that language behind me.

I did replace the door with a segmented tracked door. Bought the door and did the work myself with my now X's help. I took her to E.R. before the job was done though. She was on the opposite side working on a spring bracket. Loosened it while the door was down and the spring stretched. She caught the bracket in her for head. Laid her right out. Then in E.R. while the Dr. was sewing her head up the power went out. Their emergency gen kicked in then died. I held a flashlight for the Dr. to finish sewing. Lucky that she had already had her head x-rayed.

Had a garage door here break. I hired some one to do the job.

Ken

FlyerInOKC 03-01-2021 08:58 PM

I have the 4 segment doors with tracks on each side and a spring system on the door header. When the doors are open the space between the door and the ceiling isn't sufficient to hang airplanes.

Monty Python 03-02-2021 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by modeltronics (Post 12666339)
Mike, I had to do a search on SWMBO to figure out what that was.

It comes from an english comedy tv show called Rumpole Of The Bailey, he's a barrister.

Monty Python 03-02-2021 12:16 AM

Ken sorry to hear about your wife being injured while helping, bad news and hope she is fully recovered. Now as to your assertion that you have laid off swearing for good I bet you a slab of Australia's finest Emu Export stubbies that this picture will prove me right in the future buddy :)
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...b6fca6cee5.jpg

MarkYouatt 03-02-2021 02:36 AM

I only have one - an FA82 bought second hand. Very little use and looks to be running well on the WhatSapp call before I paid.
Unfortunately, when it arrived, a few months ago, the main needle and the throttle arm were separate in the box. What is a good starting point for the high and low needles?

TIA

GG

1200SportsterRider 03-02-2021 03:48 AM

Hey Mark, welcome, about 1/16th" below the face of the plastic throttle arm.

Glowgeek 03-02-2021 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by MarkYouatt (Post 12666394)
I only have one - an FA82 bought second hand. Very little use and looks to be running well on the WhatSapp call before I paid.
Unfortunately, when it arrived, a few months ago, the main needle and the throttle arm were separate in the box. What is a good starting point for the high and low needles?

TIA

GG

Hi Mark. As Dave said, a good starting point for the lsn is 1/16" in from flush with the outside of the plastic throttle arm. This will put it flush with the inside of the plastic arm. That setting will likely to be too rich. Lean from there.

Set hsn 3 turns out from lightly seated. This will also be too rich so lean from there. You'll likely end up with the hsn set at 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 turns out peaked at wot.

MarkYouatt 03-02-2021 10:50 PM

Cheers guys. When we are allowed out to play again (hopefully 29/3), I'll give it a go!

Very eager to use this little jewel of an engine..

GG

1200SportsterRider 03-04-2021 06:22 PM

I was supposed to receive a nice clean Saito 80 with the rough finish rocker covers. Maybe a high compression one, here's hoping.

I got the USPS favorite buzz term, "on it's way but running late"

FlyerInOKC 03-04-2021 08:14 PM

Yeah right, good luck with that! That is what my mail order prescription shipment says too. It was mail 2/16/21 and made it to the distribution center on 2/16/21 and you can see the last history item below is dated 2/20/21 is "In Transit, arriving Late".

Feb 20

In Transit, Arriving Late

Feb 16

12:11 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
LAKE MARY FL DISTRIBUTION CENTER

Feb 16

10:56 am
Accepted at USPS Origin Facility
OVIEDO,FL 32765

Feb 16

Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS, USPS Awaiting Item

erieqc 03-05-2021 01:35 AM

I always hate to ship anything to Florida it sets in the distribution center for at least 2 weeks.

Hyjinx 03-05-2021 04:11 AM

Shipping, what shipping

Have variable props coming from Germany. Vendor said may be a minute but could be eight months. DHL charged an additional ten for a tracking number.
It can't find the package.

FlyerInOKC 03-05-2021 05:31 AM

I had a order from China that showed fairly quickly but it wasn't what I ordered. I got tired of PayPal taking forever and turned it over the cc company. I had a previous shipment from Asia that never appeared, Amazon ended up refunding that one.

Jesse Open 03-05-2021 05:41 AM

I allow NOTHING to ship via the US Postal Service tyrants. Abo****ey will not support their union's temper tantrum. FedEx shipping is getting the job done reliably.
Been paying with PayPal for about 20 years and their record is stellar.

1200SportsterRider 03-05-2021 05:44 AM

This one is coning from Florida, coming north didn't help.:)