RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Glow Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/)
-   -   Welcome to Club SAITO ! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/3306814-welcome-club-saito.html)

William Robison 01-08-2006 10:54 PM

RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

All:

A good way to check the top end of a Saito is to bring the piston about 1/2 way up the compression stroke, fill the cylinder with a very light oil, and then turn the prop on through TDC by hand.

If all is well you will be able to turn it slowly, and it'll take some force. The oil will leak past the ring and go into the crankcase. It's supposed to do this, don't worry about it. If it turns easily you'll see the oil come out the intake or exhaust (whichever is leaking), or the ring is bad letting the oil leak faster than it should, or you forgot to put the plug back in. Haw.

So long as the compression is good when propping the engine don't worry about some slight valve leakage - when the engine is running there's not enough time for a slight leak to bother you.

Bill.

GSNut 01-09-2006 12:26 AM

ORIGINAL: GSNut

Thanks William !

(snip

snip)

Will get on it first thing in the morning.

TA

Doug in Denver
Haw...:D:D

Couldn't wait till morning, just had to do it right away...(some driving force it seems).

It appears to have been exactly one tooth slow.... the compression is back and no evidence of blow back through the carb as before.

Weather permitting I will test run it tomorrow, but fully expect it to be The Brute It Was Before..:D will report back on the results then.

TA

Doug in Denver

Kmot 01-09-2006 01:17 AM

ORIGINAL: GSNut

I wish there was a way to lock the crankshaft in place. Maybe there is and I just haven't figured it out yet...

There are two ways I know of. One is a mechanical piston stop. It is a common tool sold at the nitro engined car counter. Here is an example:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByC...ProdID=DYN2512

Another way to hold your crank in place, when using compressed air in the engine, is to make sure the piston is at TDC. Then you can plug in an air line and the crank will not rotate.

7capCub 01-09-2006 11:06 PM

Hi Everyone,

I'm happy to see there is such a great Saito following. Thought I'd list the engines/projects I'm working on.

I'm getting ready to build a Top Flite DC-3 with two older FA-50's. I like the newer mufflers and plan on purchasing two new ones so they match.

I have a Hangar 9 80" CUB and will be mounting a new 56GK. I thought the black on yellow would look good.

I have a second Hangar 9 80" Cub that I was thinking of using only for still pix and video photography. I'm considering mounting a new 72 on it for the extra power.

Anyone have any experience with the DC-3/Saito combination?

Thanks.

Kmot 01-09-2006 11:13 PM

Well, the picture of me tuning a radial engine and giving advice about using compressed air in engines makes absoluely no sense now that Hobbsy edited out the text. What's the beef?

Chuck381 01-10-2006 10:36 AM

William Robinson,
I guess that I am in your area and I just might have to call on you for some assisteance soon! I also live in ME Florida, am a member at Eglin Aero club and well am getting my UCD .60 together. I have a new Saito FA 100 and am getting ready to put it on a test stand to get it broke in the proper way...Well at least till I can get a good idle! I am going to run Omega Castor/Syn mixture 15%. Using a OS F Plug and turning a 15X6 Zinger/K series MAS.

As stated going to run it on the UCD .60 and it will be inverted... I am going to build the test stand today I hope and try to get it running today if possible! Any advise as well as opinions would be help I am sure! And yes I am using Marvel Air tool oil for after run as well as the initial lube before the first run! Thanks all!

Chuck

William Robison 01-11-2006 06:03 PM

Chuck:

As you know, we had a nice tallk yesterday about your post.

And for the rest of you, we had the local memorial service for my mother yesterday, the tenth. She died on the fifth of December, in Colorado.

It was not unexpected, she had a stroke after Ivan in 2004, and a second equally serious in November of last year. From that point she just went down.

She had a good life, died at age 94.

Condolences neither desired nor expected. Thanks anyway.

Bill.

William Robison 01-11-2006 06:21 PM

ALL:

New club listings:

153 rajul
154 ecrt123
155 TimC
156 mlooman
157 7capCub
158 Chuck381

Bill.

PS: Full listing [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3306814/anchors_3632826/mpage_39/key_/anchor/tm.htm#3632826]here[/link] in posts 971 snd 972. wr.

cruzomatic 01-11-2006 06:41 PM

Wait a minute guys, I have one too. 120S on my WM P51D 60 Size,,,;)

Thunderchild 01-11-2006 06:54 PM

Hi Guys,

Would anyone out there have experience with the Great Planes 120 Stearman? I am wondering if the Saito 170R3 will fit under the cowl without any surgery?

Comments on the combination most welcome.

Cheers from the far west of Downunder.

Thunderchild (Saito member #94)

Kimhoff 01-11-2006 10:13 PM

I have a Saito 45 in a Eagle 63. What prop range should I use?

w8ye 01-11-2006 10:23 PM

A friend as a Mark II 45 and he uses a 11 X 7 1/2 prop. Seems to do pretty good. It has the old right angle carb.

The 45S looks more like a Saito 50 and has a reversible carb on it.

Brunito 01-11-2006 10:38 PM

Hi guys I have a question I have a Saito 91s on my Funtana 40 everything was fine 'till start to stop running every time come in down on a vertical fall I try to adjust the high speed needle but still have the problem any suggestions will be welcome thanks but still have the problem any sugestion will be welcome thanks

w8ye 01-11-2006 11:28 PM

Sounds more like a tank problem?

solafein 01-11-2006 11:45 PM

I have the same combo, and developed the same issue when I turned the idle down. Brought the idle back up and issue disappeared. That may not be the total cause but it is a start.

lrr 01-12-2006 12:05 AM

ORIGINAL: William Robison

ALL:

New club listings:

153 rajul
154 ecrt123
155 TimC
156 mlooman
157 7capCub
158 Chuck381

Bill.

PS: Full listing [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3306814/anchors_3632826/mpage_39/key_/anchor/tm.htm#3632826]here[/link] in posts 971 snd 972. wr.

Sign me up! Saito 82 from my wife for Christmas! It'll be going in a Kadet Senior ARF.

Lee

alpal 01-12-2006 11:21 AM

Hi Guys
I have a Saito twin 300 single carb (FA300T)........my question concerns exhaust length/design.
I am putting it into a 1/5th scale Focke Wulf 190 A8 and it fits like a dream, with the exhaust ports right where they need to be for the scale location of the exhaust....now....they would be pretty close and only need two inches of exhaust pipe. Is this okay? does it NEED the whole concertina pipe that comes with it???
can I just weld on a flared pipe (Sort of squashed pipe to spread the smoke in a scale manner....) Do I need to make an expansion chamber (One inch long)?? can I make the tank preassurized from a ram air supply into a funnelled pipe into the tank instead of from the exhaust????
I would VERY much like to hear of any one who has any experience in these matters...Cheers for now
Alex

gjeffers 01-14-2006 03:10 PM

Ok,every since Bill has told everyone here that the velosity stack can clean up the mess inside the cowl and improve the fuel consumption rate i have been planning on installing one.
well i finally put it on my 100 about a week ago and didnt fly it till yesterday, wellllllll:D
i fired up my 100 in my edge and warmed her up and took off and man was the thing rich (lots of smoke)i forgot that i had installed it for awhile:eek:
so i landed and got out my tach and proceeded to tune it up, and when i was finished my hs needle was a whole quarter turn in from previosly used setting of two turns out, now at 1.75 turns out and uses about 7-8 less cranks to fuel than before, man i reccomend everyone to get one of these, there great and cost nothing when considering the fuel savings, almost to good to be true;)

William Robison 01-14-2006 03:24 PM

Alex:

The length of the ehaust pipe is not critical for the engine's health.

The FA-300T ha very good fuel draw all by itself, and ram air wont give you enough pressure to notice.

Try it with no pressure, be careful on the up lines - that's the worst case - if it is fine there just keep flying.
-------------------
Gary:

NYAAAH - NYAAH!!! Told you so!!!

Bill.

alpal 01-14-2006 04:16 PM

Bill............ thanks for taking the time to answer....I am happy that I can do what I want with the exhaust pipes...;) But I am a bit slow on the uptake..... "Be careful on the up lines"
What are the "up lines" and how would I be careful??? I have the tank about halfway with the needle valve, so thats the best I can do with the fuel line..its pretty good...
All the best
Alex

William Robison 01-14-2006 05:16 PM

Alex:

Sorry, "Up lines" are when flying with the nose pointed up at or near 90 degrees. This is when the fuel will have to be pulled completely against gravity. And the lower the fuel level the further the fuel will have to be drawn.

If you do the "Nose up" test with a low fuel level, and the engine doesn't go lean you will be fine.

What I meant was to be sure the engine isn't going lean when you're in a steep climb.

Clear now? Hope so.

Bill.

stinghd 01-14-2006 05:28 PM

I was reading here about a velocity stack on the Saito 100. Can enybody tell me where I can find these?

w8ye 01-14-2006 05:33 PM

Horizon Hobby
Here's the one for the 45S through 100 engines.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByC...odID=SAI50GK93

Enjoy,

Jim

William Robison 01-14-2006 05:34 PM

Sting:

Go to the parts listing for the FA-100 Golden Knight version, it's listed there. The same stack fits from the 65 size up to the 100 engine.

Bill.

Kmot 01-15-2006 01:07 PM

Powermaster YS 20/20 fuel. I bought a couple gallons of this thinking it would be good for my Saito engines. I later read warnings against using it, unless adding castor oil to it. At the AMA show yesterday, I bought a bottle of Klotz Beno.

How much Beno should I add to a gallon of YS 20/20 fuel?

Thanks.

Edit: Nevermind, I discovered the Fuel Forum.