RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Glow Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/)
-   -   Inner Bearing of a TT 46 Pro (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/3791438-inner-bearing-tt-46-pro.html)

winger1955 01-18-2006 12:20 PM

Inner Bearing of a TT 46 Pro

Does anyone have any tips for removing of the inner bearing of a Thunder Tiger 46 Pro? I got the outer bearing removed easily, but the inner bearing is very difficult to remove without damaging the case.

Thanks

BarracudaHockey 01-18-2006 12:26 PM

RE: Inner Bearing of a TT 46 Pro

Heat up the case in an oven, 250 for about 20 minutes.

Then smack the back of the case on a 2x4 or something similar, it should fall right out.

Flyboy Dave 01-18-2006 01:37 PM

Check this tutorial....

http://home.online.no/~ofremmi/HowTo...ringChange.htm

FBD. ;)

Rcpilot 01-18-2006 02:26 PM

I've never used a torch to heat the case. I was too worried about uneven heating and warping. I guess it works.

I put mine in the oven at about 200F for 15--20 minutes. Pull the case out and tap it lightly on a soft block of wood. Rear bearing should fall right out.

For the front bearing, I also use the wooden dowel. You should use a dowel thats about the same size as the crankshaft. Just make sure the case has been heated. Insert the dowel through the back of the engine and then lightly tap the dowel down on your block of wood. Front bearing should pop right out.

For reassembly, I put the new bearings in a ziplock bag and freeze them for about an hour. Heat the case. Drop the bearings in and use the dowel to slightly tap or push them into place. If the bearings are frozen and the case is hot--you should not need to push or force them into the case in any way. If it's tight--then put the bearings back in the freezer and heat the case for 10--15 more minutes in the oven.

DON'T push on the center part of a bearing. That will cause loads on the bearing cages and could cause a failure down the road.

ONLY push on the bearing around the outer face. That way you aren't putting side loads on the actual ball bearings and cages.

Now you have a case with bearings, but no crank. Allow the case to heat up to room temperature. Freeze the crank for about an hour. It should drop in. If it doesn't just drop right in--then resist the urge to force the crank into the bearings. That puts side loads on the bearings and cages. You don't want to do that. Don't put the prop nut on and "pull" the crank into position. That puts side loads on the bearings and cages.

If you have trouble--you could heat the case and bearings for about 5 or 10 minutes in a low temp oven. Freeze the crank for an hour and try it again.

The whole thing is--just don't FORCE anything. If it don't fit--then step back and examine your procedure. Look inside the case. Look for cooked on oil on the crank that may be causing a tight fit. Bearings are extremely sensitive--precision parts. Forcing them or hitting them is just a disaster waiting to happen.

w8ye 01-18-2006 02:28 PM

When you are re-installing the bearings, put the rear bearing on the crankshaft first and then insert the crank and bearing in the crankcase. The front bearing is then installed at this point.

Enjoy,
Jim

Rcpilot 01-18-2006 02:32 PM

I've always put both bearings into the case first--then installed the crank.

Is this wrong? Am I doing damage to the bearings?[X(]

Flyboy Dave 01-18-2006 02:48 PM

NO, I do it the same way. ;)

splatt 01-18-2006 07:05 PM

by putting the bearing on the crank and THEN dropping the crank into engine, chances are it will be nice and straight.

The cranks acts like an install tool

w8ye 01-18-2006 07:11 PM

If you get a bearing crooked on the crank, it will just stop. It will not hurt anything.

If you get the bearing crooked in the case, you will gouge up some metal.

Enjoy,

Jim

winger1955 01-18-2006 07:14 PM

Thanks guys, great information that has really helped me!

Winger1955