RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Glow Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/)
-   -   K&B Carb? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/3823984-k-b-carb.html)

on pipe 01-25-2006 04:16 PM

K&B Carb?

Recently bought an old K&B .40 ringed engine. I've seen most of the K&B's with Perry carbs installed. Is the K&B carb a bad
design? Should I try it or get a Perry? I have a carb from a worn out O.S. .40FX. Would this be a good swap? Ross

w8ye 01-25-2006 04:27 PM

RE: K&B Carb?

I've had both. One's as good as the other.

At first the style engine you are talking about came from the factory with the Perry. Later on, they had a carb somewhat like the HB design. which has since evolved a couple times into the current carb. Both are good.

Enjoy,

Jim

William Robison 01-25-2006 04:36 PM

[b]Ross:

The K&B 40 R/C engines have been supplied ex factory with five different carbs. Three were Perrys, the later K&B "Block" carb that had K/B on the front face, and the latest called the "Ribbed" carb, with the K&B inside an oval on the front face. The ribbed carb has been supplied in both front and remote needle versions, so I suppose you caould say six different carbs.

Two of the three Perrys look the same, but the earlier engines had a smaller spigot in the front housing, the earlier carb also had a slightly smaller throttle bore. If you have the earlier engine the later carbs will not mount. The third Perry is the pump carb, it has a 0.375 tnrottle bore, it wont work without a pump due to insufficient fuel draw.

Some people have cursed all of them, others such as myself have no trouble with any of them.

Just run it with the carb that's on it, nine times out of ten all will be well.

Bill.
[/ b]

w8ye 01-25-2006 09:00 PM

ORIGINAL: William Robison
The K&B 40 R/C engines have been supplied ex factory with five different carbs. Three were Perrys, the later K&B "Block" carb that had K/B on the front face, and the latest called the "Ribbed" carb, with the K&B inside an oval on the front face. The ribbed carb has been supplied in both front and remote needle versions, so I suppose you caould say six different carbs.
Roby,
Not all the K&B block carbs had "K/B" on the front. Just a few of them did.

Enjoy,

Jim

William Robison 01-25-2006 09:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Jim:

Right in that some didn't, but I/ve only seen one without.

Here's a picture of the different carbs, and the center left one is the block without the K/B.

Top left is the Perry pump carb, then conventional Perry top right. Center are the "Block" carbs. Bottom two are front and remote needle "Ribbed" carbs.

Bill.

on pipe 01-25-2006 09:28 PM

Jim and Bill,

The carb on this one is the big 1" X 3/4" X 3/4" aluminum block with the K/B logo on the front. My first K&B; nice
looking engine. Know an old schooler that has two of them on a Pica Duellist, wanted one ever since. Thanks for your
quick replies! Ross

William Robison 01-25-2006 09:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ross:

And here are two more on a Dave Platt Duellist. Note they are assembled to have the exhausts both outboard.

Second picture. Disregarding the exhaust stacks, which front end is like yours? The left is the older 8xxx series, the right one is a 4011. And the left one has your carb, if I understand you correctly.

Bill.

William Robison 01-25-2006 09:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ross:

Love them myself. Here's another set of symmetric pairs.

Bill.

PS: They are also counter rotating. wr.

on pipe 01-28-2006 08:20 PM

Bill,

Have been out of town, and couldn't reply directly after your last post. You were right, the carb is like the one on the engine at
the left in the photo. The front end looks like the 4011 series. What brand of muffler is that on the engines in the last picture? Also, I've heard that the .61 is about the same size physically as the .40's. Is this true? Ross

William Robison 01-28-2006 09:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ross:

Sorry, I've had those mufflers about ten years, and the company went out of business at almost the same time. I was lucky to get them.

The K&B ringed 61 is about my favorite two stroke model engine, I have a few dozen. Jiust stocking up, don't you know.

It's an ideal engine for a 40-46 plane, it's lighter than many 46 engines, and more power.

One I have in service is mounted in a Hobbico "Diablo 40," and will climb vertically from s hand launch. Of course, a normal take-off is the usual launch, but that will give an indication of the available power.

My selection of 61s ranges from a genuine Veco 61, includes some of the versions with the Perry pump built in, and a couple of the latest with the remote needles on the ribbed carbs. Several are NIB.

If you have the opportunity to get one or more, don't hesitate. Fantastic engine, almost impossible to wear out or damage otherwise.

Some pictures attached. I think eight is enough to give the idea.

Bill.