RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Glow Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/)
-   -   OS 160 Behaving Badly (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/4867135-os-160-behaving-badly.html)

stupidaso 10-14-2006 01:43 PM

OS 160 Behaving Badly

Here's the scenario:
A new FX 160, OS #8 plug, stock muffler, 16X10 APC in an Ultra Sport 1000. Broken in with 5/20 (blended oil). Ran flawlessly for the break-in and 8 subsequent flights.

On 5th or so flight, I switched to my regular fuel, 15/18 (blended oil) and it ran great for 3 or so flights.

On the 9th flight, it flamed out about 1 minute into the flight, open throttle and straight and level attitude. On the 10th flight, same thing happened. No loading up, no sounds of running lean just before dying......it just stopped running.

Since then, running on the ground has yielded similar results, but I noticed it would often run fine until the glow driver was taken off. I then put a new #8 plug in, but that did not seem to help. I don't think the low end mixture is too rich, as it runs and transitions well without "4- stroking"

Do I have a mixture issue, or a bad fuel/plug combination, or what? I have never had this problem with a 2-stroke before.

Any thoughts? I appreciate any help anyone can give!

Thanks,
Stu

Flyboy Dave 10-14-2006 01:48 PM

RE: OS 160 Behaving Badly

Try some fresh fuel, and go over the engine and make sure all the screws
are tight. ;)

FBD. :D

stupidaso 10-14-2006 04:04 PM

I forgot to mention, I also took the tank out, checked the klunk and all the plumbing....looks good.

I will try some different fuel and maybe even a diff plug, though the #8 is the rec one.

Thanks,
Stu

BankYank 10-14-2006 06:01 PM

Someone in the neighborhood. Cool!![8D].
I was having problems with mine also.At first it ran great but after a few weeks the problem started. It is mounted inverted though. After trying everything i or anyone else know's.Tweaking needles, changing fuel line, check the tank, ETC,ETC...I tried it with a pump. MAN what a difference. No more dead sticks. It will idle for two minute's,,slam the stick forward and it just rev's up,,,I thought it was a tuning issue and tried fixing it based on that issue. The thing just need's some pressure at the needle's and muffler pressure is just is not enough with my setup. Your's may be the same problem maybe not,,,,But the pump cured mine.
Pat

stupidaso 10-14-2006 07:02 PM

Pat,
Thanks for the input..... I just don't understand why it ran so well for the first gallon or so, then this.
I have an Iron Bay fuel regulator, maybe it will cure the issue.

What type of pump are you running? Would yours keep running with the glow driver on?

Yea, it is nice to find a neighbor....do you have to travel far to fly?

Stu

NM2K 10-14-2006 09:22 PM

ORIGINAL: stupidaso

Here's the scenario:
A new FX 160, OS #8 plug, stock muffler, 16X10 APC in an Ultra Sport 1000. Broken in with 5/20 (blended oil). Ran flawlessly for the break-in and 8 subsequent flights.

On 5th or so flight, I switched to my regular fuel, 15/18 (blended oil) and it ran great for 3 or so flights.

On the 9th flight, it flamed out about 1 minute into the flight, open throttle and straight and level attitude. On the 10th flight, same thing happened. No loading up, no sounds of running lean just before dying......it just stopped running.

Since then, running on the ground has yielded similar results, but I noticed it would often run fine until the glow driver was taken off. I then put a new #8 plug in, but that did not seem to help. I don't think the low end mixture is too rich, as it runs and transitions well without "4- stroking"

Do I have a mixture issue, or a bad fuel/plug combination, or what? I have never had this problem with a 2-stroke before.

Any thoughts? I appreciate any help anyone can give!

Thanks,
Stu

----------------

In addition to Dave's suggestions, I would also have a gander at the fuel tank pick up line and make sure that it is still attached to the brass tubing and that the clunk is not getting too close to the rear of the fuel tank. Also check your vent line for a kink and that the vent tubing inside of the tank is not close to the top of the tank. Good luck. That is a really sweet engine, so you have a lot of good to look forward to.

DarZeelon 10-15-2006 01:21 AM

ORIGINAL: stupidaso

A new OS1.60FX, OS #8 plug...

Wrong glow-plug, Brian.

[link=http://www.os-engines.co.jp/english/line_up/plug/plug.htm]OS tells you[/link] the A5 is the right plug; not the #8...

Your engine needs a cold glow-plug. The #8 is too hot.

jaka 10-15-2006 10:41 AM

Hi!
Try 5% nitro ...thats all it needs.
And of course a good sport plug like the Enya 3 or OS 8.

Regards!
Jan K

DarZeelon 10-15-2006 11:02 AM

ORIGINAL: jaka

And of course a good sport plug like the Enya #3, or OS #8.

Jan,

The Enya #3 is their hottest plug. OS say to use a cold plug - their A5.
In Enya it is the #5, or the #6.

....He is using the OS #8 now...

stupidaso 10-15-2006 11:08 AM

Thanks for all the help!

I will try the different fuel and plug combo before going through installing the regulator.

I pulled the tank, the klunk, tubing, and plumbing all look good.

Thanks again, I will use your advice next time I run it.

Stu
PS....like your pic of the chimp........

DarZeelon 10-15-2006 12:43 PM

That's 'the THINKING chimp', Brian.

:D:D:D;)

Sturtz 10-15-2006 02:44 PM

OS A-5 plug and tighten/loctite all the bolts down well. My problems ended after this simple fix and adding a second head gasket. Increased my muffler pressure which in turn increased tank pressure as well. A5 plug ended the dreaded mid-range KNOCK.