RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Glow Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/)
-   -   ENYA Carb Settings...? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/8362573-enya-carb-settings.html)

ponda 01-15-2009 07:54 PM

ENYA Carb Settings...?

Hi group....A few questions ....I have a "new" Enya 45 Model 6001. This has the square shape carb with the air bleed....there is no low speed needle valve...just the small screw next to the high speed needle for the air bleed...Before everyone says "Throw it away and get an OS"..just bear with me...I know the starting setting for the high speed is about 3 turns out from fully closed....What is the initial setting for the air bleed screw?...I have been told..3..4..5..1 turns out by all the informed Doctors of Glow that practice at merchant stores....Obviously they cannot all be correct,needless to say...I am having trouble getting this engine to perform as desired...I am shooting in the dark without a correct starting point. Engine has fantastic compression..the correct muffler,new plug,and fuel...so it has prob to be the carb settings that are causing me to lose my religion....

So...anyone want to throw their 2 cents in?....I will appreciate any suggestions.. BTW..I already have a new OS AX 46...it just bugs me that I cant get this fine old ENYA to purr....

Frustrated in Santa Fe....joe

w8ye 01-15-2009 08:00 PM

RE: ENYA Carb Settings...?

Air bleed screw half way across the hole

Enjoy, the engine will be simple to set up and a joy to use one you get it broken in or cleaned out which ever applies

LaCerne 01-15-2009 08:53 PM

1/3 to 1/2 open like he said above, but also make sure you are using an Idle-bar glow plug as this engine has a baffle on top of the piston. The baffle directs fuel up to the glow-plug, and at idle can extinguish the plug if it has no idle-bar. Great engine!

Have Fun!
Larsen

ponda 01-15-2009 09:10 PM

Ok..As I am understanding ...screw the bleed screw in until you can see that the screw has covered about 1/2-1/3 of the air hole on the front of the carb...I hope that works as it was just to simple to comprehend vs all the BS I have been getting from so many folks for several days...Will try it tomorrow...I have always liked the Enya....from the dinosaur days they could not be put down...just kept going and going...

Thanks for the advice...Is there any way to know when you have it just right....someone suggested tilting the plane up slightly and down slightly to listen and adjust accordingly....I can handle the high speed..its just these low speed needles that are messing me up....

thx again...joe:)

w8ye 01-15-2009 09:28 PM

It is highly likely that the engine will just run great with the air bleed screw half way across the hole. They are not very sensitive.

Being as the screw is for air bleed - it works backwards. To screw it out makes the idle mixture leaner

The air bleed screw has no effect on the High speed screw

Once you get the hole uncovered completely or covered completely it does no more good to turn the screw any farther

downunder 01-15-2009 10:37 PM

What you have is probably one of the best engines ever made back in those days as far as a workhorse goes. Follow what you've been told so far about adjusting the idle setting. But is the engine actually new or just new to you? If it's really new then run it in carefully and take your time. If it's already run in then use a fuel with a healthy dose of castor. I always used 25% all castor in mine which was probably too much but was more or less a standard brew back then.

rainedave 01-15-2009 11:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
For me, these old Enyas have a real cool factor about them. Maybe downunder can suggest the best prop; probably something like an 11x6 or 12x5. At any rate, it's not a small prop/high rpm screamer. I need to build a plane for mine.

David

ponda 01-15-2009 11:41 PM

I bought it as represented as new...took the head off...the piston was shiny as a new quarter....If it had been run..it was very little,,,been running it rich 4 cycle...I used them U-control a long long time ago....Back in the day, I also had one of the first edition Enya 45's...the one with the smooth head..no fins...I really liked that engine, but the ground got in the way and it literally exploded...I still have some of the others from the late 60's....cleaned them up and they fired right up as if time meant nothing...I know they don't have the power like today's engines, but they are really tough engines..and sound so sweet un-muffled...!!What can I say...I like Harleys with straight drag pipes too!!

w8ye 01-16-2009 12:00 AM

It should be fine with a 11-6 prop. That's what I used on my ST G21-46's back in the late 60's early 70's

downunder 01-16-2009 09:20 AM

I'd say an 11x5-6 would be about right. Hmmm...smooth head 45, plain bearing and iron piston wasn't it? My 45 was used only for CL stunt and I was often asked how I got it to run as good as the ST G21-46. The only answer I had was that I'd fill the tank with fuel, flick and fly because it was stock standard :).

rainedave
I was going to say your engine looks a lot cleaner than mine until I saw the muffler. I'm guessing that's one of the re-issued 6001's with the silent muffler?

rainedave 01-16-2009 09:38 AM

du, the muffler is one of the new "Special" mufflers I bought from Enya Direct last year. The engine is an original oldie. Mine has two piston rings. I think the new re-issues only have one.

David

downunder 01-16-2009 08:54 PM

ORIGINAL: rainedave
Mine has two piston rings. I think the new re-issues only have one.
David
That made me go check because I wasn't sure but the re-issued 6001 still has twin rings, the re-issued 6002 model has the single ring. When the 6002 was first re-issued I couldn't figure out why Enya did that because it wasn't anywhere near as good for CL stunt as the 6001 (I know because I bought one back in the late 70's) and few RC fliers would want a baffled piston engine. Enya got the message fairly quickly and it wasn't long before they brought out the 6001.

rainedave 01-16-2009 09:41 PM

Thanks for clearing that up. I was confusing the two models.[:o] So, is it correct that the original 6002 was produced specifically as an R/C engine? That is, going to one ring (lighter piston) was intended to improve throttled performance, right?

David

ponda 01-17-2009 12:27 AM

Hi..and thanks for the info....Is that "1/2 way across the hole" setting true for most all air bleed carbs...or is this just specific for this Enya....sorry to be so much trouble. There just seems to be too much wrong information where ever you go these days....Everybody is an "expert"...duh....This forum is very worthy and bounds with good tips and info....

thx again...joe

w8ye 01-17-2009 12:41 AM

Yes, half way across the hole for most air bleed carbs

Ram Jet 01-17-2009 12:42 AM

Hey w8, do you have any suggestions on breaking-in my new Enya 1.55 4C? I guess short run heat/cool cycles, 25% oil, 10% nitro, light 10 x 5 prop at least one gallon of fuel. It's not getting a drop of fuel until I install a Frank Bowman ring. Am I on the right track?

Thanks,

Bill

w8ye 01-17-2009 01:05 AM

I'd use a combination oil package with mostly synthetic but with some castor added totaling around 20% oil and 10% nitro

Run the first tank very rich.

Short runs in the beginning.

Lean it out some but by no means lean for a while

After I got familiar with it I would get it in the air and go easy with it for several flights

downunder 01-17-2009 08:28 AM

ORIGINAL: rainedave
So, is it correct that the original 6002 was produced specifically as an R/C engine? That is, going to one ring (lighter piston) was intended to improve throttled performance, right?
As far as I know the 6002 was only an RC engine, at least that's all I could find when I bought mine. It's a fair bit different to the earlier ones having a much larger transfer port, different port timings for more power to suit RC and, strangely enough, a slightly shorter stroke than the 6001 although the bore is the same. Of some interest (maybe :)), the 40 model 6002 has the same stroke as the 45 and was also the only Enya ever to use a Dykes ring.

Hobbsy 01-17-2009 08:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
DU, does this look like the piston in question, Thanks, Dave. I think its from an SS .45

downunder 01-17-2009 07:57 PM

Hobbsy
It's a bit hard to tell from the photo but it looks like a single ring. If it's a normal ring then it's from the 6002/45 but if it's a Dykes ring then it's from the 40.

buzzard bait 01-17-2009 11:51 PM

All sizes of OS FPs and my three Enya 30s idled and transitioned best with the air bleeds wide open. Not saying it's necessarily true for your 45, but don't be surprised if the idle is too rich with the air bleed 1/2 covered. Jim

w8ye 01-17-2009 11:59 PM

the only airbleed carbs I've had that ran in the middle were the Saitos. The others all ran wide open.

ponda 01-18-2009 05:08 AM

Hmmmm...so are you now telling me that the hole should be wide open as opposed to 1/2 or so as suggested in posted info about 20 posts or so earlier....PLease clarify....

w8ye 01-18-2009 05:20 AM

The screw came from the factory being half way across the hole

What they are saying is that the screw is clear of the hole on theirs after they adjusted the engine to run best at idle. Yours may be this way after you get it running. You will have to see where the engine runs best by adjusting the screw, I can assure you that it will idle faster with the screw clear of the hole but the engine may quit when you give it the throttle. You will have to try it and see.

Hobbsy 01-19-2009 09:25 AM

Thanks DU, it is a single ring piston, I don't know how I ended up with it, but its in a drawer with several other Enya parts.