RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Glow Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/)
-   -   Laser engine price? Import Tax? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/8536042-laser-engine-price-import-tax.html)

mcjustis 03-02-2009 02:56 PM

Laser engine price? Import Tax?

I am looking to purchase either a Laser 200v or 300v. The price from Laser engines in UK for the 200v is 435 GBP, which converts to about $615 USD. Proctor has them for sale for $825. The 300v is 625 GBP or $877 from Laser and $1195 from Proctor. I'm wonderin what the difference is for. Is this a import tax issue? If there is an import tax how much is it? Is it just a convienience charge? I'm not in a big hurry to have the engine so a wait in shipping is no big deal. However a price difference of several hundred dollars is a huge deal. Can anyone clear this up for me? I've tried searching and can't find much about the import tax issue.

Thanks,
Martin

w8ye 03-02-2009 02:59 PM

RE: Laser engine price? Import Tax?

There's been a recent change in the exchange rate from 2.0 to 1.43 USD-GBP. The Proctor price probably reflects the old rate

MikeL 03-02-2009 03:39 PM

ORIGINAL: mcjustis

The 300v is 625 GBP or $877 from Laser and $1195 from Proctor.
Laser has the exchange rate correct. It's about $1 USD to 0.83 GBP. Proctor is probably including the VAT, which they wouldn't charge for international orders. There's no import tax.

MikeL 03-02-2009 03:47 PM

That exchange rate is almost to the point of making it worth ordering from the UK. Just Engines has an ASP .91 4-stroke for what comes out to $146 USD. Not a bad deal!

mcjustis 03-02-2009 04:16 PM

I just called Proctor and they still want $1195 for the 300v plus about 20 for shipping. I emailed Laser and they said the 625 GBP includes shipping and insurance, but didn't cover any tax due on my end. I want to compare apples to apples here. I thought the VAT was just if you lived in the Europe. That was my understanding anyway. But I've been wrong before....
thanks guys.
Martin

jjscott 03-02-2009 04:31 PM

To confirm what others have said, you will not have to pay any US taxes when purchasing from Europe. UK sellers do not add the VAT when shipping overseas. IIRC VAT is 17.5%. There are a number of currency converters on the web, just search on currency converter; Yahoo has one I use. If the seller charges in pounds and you put the charge on a credit card, you should get fairly close to what the currency converter shows.

I bought a Laser 80 from Proctor maybe 18-24 months ago, and their price was less than Laser's. Do I remember that Laser has two price lists, one for UK (with VAT) and one for overseas (without VAT)? When the pound was $2.00, stuff from the UK was pretty expensive. When it dropped to 1.70 I thought I was being really smart and I ordered a Mick Reeves Camel. Too bad I was so anxious, because the pound is now around 1.40-1.45.

Just make certain the seller is not charging you the VAT. Might be worth a phone call to confirm.

Jim

mcjustis 03-03-2009 08:02 AM

Jim,
thanks for the info. That's what I wanted to know. I emailed Laser and Niel sent back that the 300v is 625 pounds. According to XE.com that converts to about $877. A Saito 300 twin is running $1049 right now. I would rather have the Laser, the thought of using methanol/oil only really sounds good to me. I have a friend who races go carts and can get the methanol for about $4/ gallon. Almost as cheap as gas..
Laser does have different pricing for European countries. There is a tab on their website that says USA/rest of the world, that's where the price of 625 pounds is shown. This sounds like a no brainer to me. Just gotta wait for the tax return to be deposited....

Martin

summerwind 03-03-2009 09:38 AM

thing is about Proctor, he is now a one man show and rarely has time to even look at his own website.
i bought 2 Lasers last year or so when the dollar amount was flipped the other way. Joe could have charged more for it, but did not.........nor does he fluctuate his prices on his website.
i recently bought a second 200V from Proctor. i knew it was cheaper to go direct to Laser, but this is where i draw the line in my hobby..............i support the local guy.

don't get me wrong, saving a buck is important in any expenditure, but i just feel better about buying from our distributor.

mcjustis 03-03-2009 08:44 PM

That is great that you can do that. I try to support my local hobby shop as well, but the $300 difference is a lot of hobby $$ to just give to someone simply as a matter of taste. I applaud you for it though. If it were maybe $100 or so more I could see that and in all likelyhood would do that. I'm scrimping and saving every penny as it is just to get this engine. Probably have a nice full table at the club swap meet next week trying to get some extra $$. Thanks for your input. One other question, do you feel they are worth the money?
Martin

summerwind 03-03-2009 09:14 PM

absolutely worth the money.
sorry Martin, i wasn't paying close attention. i didn't realize there was a 300 dollar difference.
i was only pointing out that when the dollar difference is against Proctor, he doesn't raise the price. no one can blame you saving that much money..

these engines are beautiful to say the least.

hey, here is the Club Laser thread if you are interested.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5503457/tm.htm

mcjustis 03-03-2009 11:22 PM

Summerwind,
How are the big twins for hand starting? I'm putting this in a 1/4 scale Albatros Dv. With that big spinner I don't want to even try using a starter. I had seen the Laser club thread and that's what really got me going for using this engine. I always thought they were way too expensive, so never really gave it much thought. Then I really got a bug to use a twin glow motor for my Albi and looked at Saito. Whew, wanna talk about expensive, $1049 for their 300 twin. I also like the fuel usage as I can get methanol pretty cheap and mix my own fuel. Plus my uncle gave me about 8 gallons of 10% fuel. So I'm set for quite awhile. Just waiting for Uncle Sam to give me back my fair share...
Martin

summerwind 03-03-2009 11:38 PM

i haven't run mine yet. Joe uses a Kavan starter, but said hand starting is not a problem.
i'll know soon enough as i plan to run one by end of the month.
you could get an answer on the hand starting by any of the guys in the Club thread..........nice bunch of guys, all of them have helped me with all of my inquiries.

i took my 200V out to my club field once for show and tell and a few of the guys were shocked that i was actually going to mount it in an airplane:D
nothing like 'em

Leo 03-04-2009 02:09 PM

ORIGINAL: mcjustis

How are the big twins for hand starting?
My 200V usually starts with one backward flip after priming the engine thoroughly. When the engine is hot I prefer my electric starter.

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d7c9muuzp8]Hand starting[/link]

summerwind 03-04-2009 02:37 PM

hey Leo,

thx for posting that.
it's another video i can add to my Laser videos.

couple questions if have time, do you think the 200V needs and on board glow system?
what size fuel tanks do you think are needed?
currently i have 2 12 oz tanks planned for my project, but am still reserching it.

thx
mike

summerwind 03-04-2009 02:39 PM

Martin here is a video of someone running their 300V for the first time,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0HwQ...eature=related

mcjustis 03-04-2009 03:23 PM

Summerwind,

I've seen that video many times and it just sound better every time. I sent an email to Neil Tidy at Laser and told him the project I'm working on (1/4 scale Albatros DV) and he told me a 300v is what everyone is using on that. So that's what I'm gonna get. Well, provided the exchange rate stays about the same, and I can get it past the better half. Are you putting that 200 on the Nieuport you're doing in the build thread?? It's looking good. Someday I would like to build the N28 from Proctor. I did get some exciting news today. Someone is buying another plane I have for sale. Almost half the cash I need to buy the Laser. Now I'm going to just sit and drool at the videos for awhile...
Martin

Nice vid Leo. I hadn't seen that one.

summerwind 03-04-2009 03:35 PM

drool you say?
i literally slobbered all over my monitor the first time i heard one run:D

glad you are half way there. the rest will get there sooner than you think.......

yes i'm putting the 200 in the 28.

Leo 03-04-2009 03:36 PM

Mike,

No need for an onboard glow system in my opinion. I´ve successfully been running my Laser upright as well as inverted for years with no onboard glow.
I use a 16 oz tank (with one feed tube/klunk for each carb.) which is enough for 10 minutes of scale flying with various throttle settings
The carburettors can be tricky to set up initially but once set they seldom need adjustment. Lovely engine.

/Leo

summerwind 03-04-2009 03:44 PM

Leo,

thank you so much for that info.
saves me some useless spending, and gives me a good idea where to start with fuel supply.

mike

Raymac 03-13-2009 06:04 PM

here's a good deal on a new 300V-twin.....
http://www.bmfaclassifieds.co.uk/detail.php?id=79753
I think that would work out to be under US$700.00
I'm looking for a 200V-twin as well.