RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Glow Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/)
-   -   Clarence Lee Estate? This is False! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/9146296-clarence-lee-estate-false.html)

Jeff Worsham 10-04-2009 05:01 PM

Clarence Lee Estate? This is False!

Hi all-
There's a guy on the auction site selling engines claimed to be from Clarence Lee's estate. Did Mr. Lee pass away? If so my condolences to his family and the aero-modelling community overall. No idea how I could have missed the news on this. Just did a google search and nothing to confirm this turned up.

The seller says that he purchased the estate from Mrs. Lee last weekend. Could this all be true?
<u>
NOTE: Jeff personally called Clarence Lee's home and talked to Mrs Lee and Clarence is doing fine -W8YE
</u>

summerwind 10-04-2009 05:14 PM

RE: Clarence Lee Estate? This is False!

can you post a link to the auction?

maybe a phone call to Mrs. Lee would help to confirm this as the truth?

MetallicaJunkie 10-04-2009 05:25 PM

unfortunately he did... my condolences

8178 10-04-2009 05:28 PM

Search on "Lee engine".

MetallicaJunkie 10-04-2009 05:29 PM

[link=http://cgi.ebay.com/VECO-61-R-C-ENGINE-BY-CF-LEE-SER-J0-00304-NIB_W0QQitemZ110441835329QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRadio_ Control_Parts_Accessories?hash=item19b6d8ab41&_trk sid=p3286.c0.m14]lee estate[/link]

8178 10-04-2009 05:29 PM

ORIGINAL: MetallicaJunkie

Dang! He was still a pretty young man.

Jeff Worsham 10-04-2009 05:49 PM

ORIGINAL: MetallicaJunkie

I don't understand- the by line for "Engine Clinic" column in Sept 09 Model Airplane News says Clarence Lee. Includes his picture and he's talking about issues with .46AX, parts sources, etc. And the classifieds contains the ad for Lee Custom Engines offering "hand-fit and assembled by designer Clarence Lee..."

How could these things still be in print if Mr. Lee passed away? Guess I'm in a bit of denial.

Kmot 10-04-2009 05:56 PM

I cannot find any info on the internet in regards to Mr. Lee passing away.

Broken Wings 10-04-2009 05:56 PM

I just emailed the Ebay guy and got this responce.

"YES I WAS TOLD HE DID WHEN I BOUGHT HIS ESTATE"

Lets hope there is no truth to it...

Jeff Worsham 10-04-2009 06:08 PM

Sorry, I'm not convinced if the seller on that auction site is the only one who seems to have any knowledge of this. When I asked him to confirm, this was his response: "yes i did he passed away last year i was told from his wife i bought his estate last weekend in new york." If this were true, I can't imagine there not being anything published within the model community news sources. I'll call C.F.Lee Mfg. Co tomorrow to confirm.<strike> (818) 352-3786

</strike>818-352-3766 -w8ye

Campgems 10-04-2009 06:48 PM

Not that I know any details, but why would a guy from El Cajon, Ca buy an estate from a guy who lived in Los Angles, Ca, in New York? I find it hard to believe he passed away "last year" as Italked to him about 6 months back when I was sending in an engine for repair.

His article was in the Model Airplane News, Nov 2009 eddition and it ends, "That wraps it of for this month, Gang. See you in the January issue" Now, Inow that there is about a three or four month lead time on artilcles, and MAN publishes the Nov issue in Sept, but that still doesn't explain "Last year"

Now Clarence Lee is about 86, so it is possible but things just don't seem to add up. Imean there would have been articles in all the magazines. I think I smell a rat.

Don

w8ye 10-04-2009 07:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Clarence just did the exhaust threads in a Saito 125 cylinder last week

summerwind 10-04-2009 08:12 PM

ORIGINAL: Campgems

Not that I know any details, but why would a guy from El Cajon, Ca buy an estate from a guy who lived in Los Angles, Ca, in New York? I find it hard to believe he passed away ''last year'' as I talked to him about 6 months back when I was sending in an engine for repair.

His article was in the Model Airplane News, Nov 2009 eddition and it ends, ''That wraps it of for this month, Gang. See you in the January issue'' Now, I now that there is about a three or four month lead time on artilcles, and MAN publishes the Nov issue in Sept, but that still doesn't explain ''Last year''

Now Clarence Lee is about 86, so it is possible but things just don't seem to add up. I mean there would have been articles in all the magazines. I think I smell a rat.

Don

knowing and meeting Clarence in Balico, CA (our Modesto club back then) one weekend when i was 14 left an impression............he was a great man in the modeling community.......no way C Lee would pass on and nothing said.
nothing has been posted to prove otherwise, and i find this thread an insult to us all without facts of such a thing.............this thread should be deleted

w8ye 10-05-2009 10:58 AM

Original by: Jeff Worsham
Hi Jim,
I just talked with the nice lady at C.F.Lee Mfg and she said Clarence is alive and well. There is an error in my post which has C.F.Lee Mfg phone number- the correct number is 818-352-3766. Can you please correct that number? Or can I correct it? Thank you. jeff
I received this PM this morning So Clarence is alive and well and the Bay AD is in error

blw 10-05-2009 11:13 AM

Summerwind,

Understand how you feel, but this thread also serves a common purpose in exposing a ripoff scheme due to false advertising. Personally, I'm glad this is getting attention for what it is. Maybe we can set this con artist straight....unless he is just a badly confused seller.......

summerwind 10-05-2009 11:25 AM

that's cool blw.............posts like "metaljunkie" are what starts infuriation........................to say "unfortunately he did" was uncalled for without proof.

w8ye 10-05-2009 11:36 AM

Those of you reading the Bay ADS, those CFLee engines are ones that were modified after the fact by Clarence. They are not original purchase select fit CFLee engines.  The wording on the lugs give them away

proptop 10-05-2009 11:53 AM

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9146717/tm.htm

Scroll down to post #14

cwahl 10-05-2009 11:55 AM

THIS RUMOR IS INDEED FALSE, and I apologize for having started it: please see the ORIGINAL THREAD
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9146717/tm.htm

Kmot 10-05-2009 12:08 PM

Well, it is certainly GOOD NEWS that Mr. Lee is healthy and well. :)

w8ye 10-05-2009 12:12 PM

Goes to show that Ebay sellers will try to say most anything to push their goods and a lot of it is untruthful and unsubstantuated

w8ye 10-05-2009 01:15 PM

The Ebay guy has come clean and the ads now say the same thing as in the two threads on RCU

Jeff Worsham 10-05-2009 01:26 PM

Very good. When I confronted him last night, he said to let him know what I would find out in the morning. When I did, I gave him their number and this morning he said he'd call the Lee's to straighten it out. I'm actually beginning to believe he didn't have a clue what he was saying. It's alarming that he didn't do his homework in advance of making such a claim.

w8ye 10-05-2009 01:39 PM

The engines listed for sale are what they are in the pictures. There's some attractive ones available. Go by the pictures

daveopam 10-05-2009 03:46 PM

Someone on EBay lied! Say it isn't so.