Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

VRCS 'Top Dawg' Contest - free plans

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

VRCS 'Top Dawg' Contest - free plans

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 06:06 PM
boberos

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default VRCS 'Top Dawg' Contest - free plans

Hi Guys ,

The VRCS is holding a model contest next year.
The model chosen is Ken Willard's 'Top Dawg' , a shoulder wing design for 1/2 A to .15 engines. The plane was a popular construction article in RC Modeler Magazine in 1966.

RC Modeler Magazine is co sponsoring this contest by providing free plans to all who wish to participate.
Simply request the 'Top Dawg' plan #180 from RC Modeler Magazine Plan Service. The plan is free but you must send $4 to cover postage. Still a great deal.

Good luck & lets participate.
Bob G
Old 07-29-2003, 09:02 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I'll bite. What and where is the contest? Could we have more details Bob? I assume VCRS = Vintage Radio Control Society? I remember the plane, never built one. Here's a pic:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	97525_7026.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	55710  
Old 07-29-2003, 10:26 PM
Mike Taylor
My Feedback: (1)

I just went to their web site, and the plan is listed at $6.00 + shipping. What do you have to do to get it for free?
Old 07-31-2003, 03:16 AM
prole
My Feedback: (3)

yup, I couldn't figure it out either, are we supposed to email them?

I would like to get in on this, at least check out the plan, thanks for the Pic Dickeybird, it's a nice looking plane, kinda like Owen Kampens Upstart, which is one of my all time favorites...

Boberos, thanks for the info, can you hook us up with the specifics?

timothy
Old 07-31-2003, 01:23 PM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

Default I Have An Original Topflight Kit

Tim, I have an original Topflite Top Dawg kit in Early RC's wish list/reference stock. If you are down this way I could burn you a copy of the plans. Unfortunately I haven't planned to offer this design until next year.

Bob Harris
Early RC models
Old 07-31-2003, 03:53 PM
Mike Taylor

Even though I found a BUNCH of old Cox and other motors when I cleaned out the top of the barn last week, I think the design would really be cool with addition of ailerons, Lithium Polymer batteries, and an Astro Flight 010 e-Motor... The neighbors kind of like the electrics flying around over their heads, but they seem to frown on nitro in the neighborhood. I know, this is the 1/2 A forum, but I just can't help myself...
Old 08-01-2003, 06:32 PM
boberos

Default Top Dawg Contest

Here is the actual info that was placed in 'Vintage Flyer" the bi-monthly publication of the "Vintage RC Society"

Shortly, there will be more info on the VRCS website.

For a limited time just to get the plan, mail in $4 to cover postage & RCM will send you the plans.

Vintage R/C Society Special "Top Dawg" Contest

The Vintage R/C Society is holding a special "One Design" contest to be held at The Spirit of Selinsgrove reunion in 2004. It is hoped that a similar contest will also be held at the Spring Hill & Muncie events as well. This is a special category contest held on a one time basis. If successful, the contest may be repeated with other designs in the future. The plane, however, also qualifies for the "nostalgia" category on an ongoing basis.

The model selected for this contest is the "Top Dawg" plan # 180 designed by Ken Willard & published in RC Modeler Magazine in July 1966. This is a compact, easy to build & fly model that suits any radio system from rudder only escapement to small 3 channel proportional. Suitable engines range from .049 through .15 cu. in. The winning model will be selected by popular vote of members at the event.

Please visit the RC Modeler magazine website at: www.rcmmagazine.com for more information about this contest.

RC Modeler magazine is co-sponsoring this contest by providing free construction plans for this model to VRCS members for a limited time. Be sure to request plan # 180; send $4.00 to cover postage & handling & tell them it is for the Vintage R/C contest. You can order the free plans by writing to:

RC Modeler Plans Service
Box 487
Sierra Madre, California 91025

Questions, Comments? Contact Bob Gardner VRCS #115 e mail: [email protected]
Old 08-01-2003, 09:33 PM
rcwacogeorge

Interesting to see the Top Dawg design again. Back in the late 60's, the Spirits of St Louis RC club used this plane as a club pylon racer using stock OS 15 or Supertigre 15 engines only. This was a howling success with about 30 of the Top Flight kits being built and one member (Art Biehl) going into "mass production" on the planes. It is also a great sport flying airplane.
A note to Mike Taylor: The Top Dawg will roll very nicely on rudder only (no ailerons) if built with the stock dihedral and flat bottom airfoil and using a 15 engine. We had a fun fly contest back then in which one of our up and coming young fliers won the "most rolls in 2 minutes" event by doing continuous rolling circles with his Top Dawg pylon racer!!! (Rudder, Elevator and throttle only). I have an original Top Flight kit and am considering using a geared Astro flight 020, on 8 to 10 cells and a 8" inch prop. Our 15 powered racers were almost all using 7-6 props.
Old 08-02-2003, 08:04 AM
linclogs

I just ordered a set of the Top Dawg plans from RCM (at full cost - I'm not a VRCS member), but I plan on taking the plan to Kinko's to double the size to 72" and use a .61 size engine.

I have been into doing this(enlarging models) for some time. The first time I tried enlarging was to build a 3X version of Ken Willard's "Schoollboy". Since that model, too, originally was 36", what I wound up with was a 9 foot version. I built it with differential ailerons and a Fox .78 up front but never got to see it fly. I had completed it up to the point of covering, then sold out of the hobby, only to return about a year later (just couldn't stay away!). I never heard what happened to the model but it should have been a real floater with all that wing area.
Old 08-03-2003, 04:37 PM
boberos

Default Top Dawg

Hi Mike,
Just send $4 to cover postage & handling to the RCM plans Service. Tell them you would like a set of 'Top Dawg" plans (plan # 180) for the upcoming contest. They will honour your request.
Good luck & hope you join in.
Bob G
Old 08-04-2003, 02:24 AM
Proace

I just ordered the plans for the top dawg. I am not planning on contesting but just seem to like older designs and this one appears to be a good looking model. I would really enjoy seeing some pics of the model other than RCM plans service pic.
So maybe someone could share with us some good pics of this plane.
Old 08-04-2003, 03:40 AM
Mike Taylor

Bob,

Thanks. The check is in the mail...
Old 08-11-2003, 10:14 PM
Mad Man Marko-RCU

Default Top Dawg

Just finished redoing mine built in 1969 from the Top Flite kit. Stiil have the box and all the wheel pant parts are there too. It needed new tissue and touching up some of the trim (thank God for Aero Gloss). Flew it Saturday with an old O.S. 15 rc that was castor glued for about ten years. After a little fiddling she was running fine (same 10 yr old plug too). Man that thing is awesome. Must have been way ahead of its time back in 67. I just put my scanned pc printed copies of the original decals on and to qoute a sixties phrase "Way cool man". I sent for the plans because I think I might just build another. Maybe even an Upstart too. Just happened to order those a few years back and never thought about the simularity. I can't wait for the contest. I just hope that old Ambroid lasts another year.
Have Fun
Mark O'Connell
Old 08-21-2003, 02:15 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi folks. Can someone tell me what canopy to buy? I assume one of the the Sig canopies can be cut to fit, but what size should I get? Plans and the original construction article don't make any suggestions. Thanks,
Jim
Old 09-06-2003, 04:26 AM
Proace

Default Top Dawg under construction

I got the plans and started building. Will be using Ap .061 can't predict the performance maybe an oldtimer can. Will be using expert mini reciever (JR), 3 CS25 BB servo's and AAA NiMi Rx bat pack. Up in air over 1oz or 2oz fuel tank. Please excuse the poor pic.

Name:	107811_19049.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	55711  
Old 09-06-2003, 04:30 AM
Proace

Default Top Dawg

Here is one more pic. If wanted I will show more as building progress's

Name:	107813_19049.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	55712  
Old 09-06-2003, 11:09 PM
Mike Denest

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by buzzard bait
Hi folks. Can someone tell me what canopy to buy? I assume one of the the Sig canopies can be cut to fit, but what size should I get? Plans and the original construction article don't make any suggestions. Thanks,
Jim
A 20 oz. soda bottle should work fine. Buy several and if you screw one up, crack open another soda and start cutting
Old 11-01-2003, 09:14 PM
tinsink

Default RE: VRCS '<span class=

Can I still get a free set of plans for the contest from RCM?
Old 11-04-2003, 04:37 PM
boberos

Default RE: VRCS 'Top Dawg' Contest - free plans

RCM advised me that their offer of free 'Top Dawg' plans was for a limited time but they did not say what the time limit was. So contact them to find out.
Bye the way this contest is expanding. We now have 2 contests. One at Spring Hill FL & a second at the Spirit of Selinsgrove reunion.

Good luck,
Bob G
Old 11-05-2003, 06:40 AM
skypupmut

I use the top part of 2 liter soft dring bottles on my topdawd and hotdawg`s ( thin wing version )
they are great sport flyers with a .25 fp mine have over 500 flights each
Old 12-20-2003, 05:57 PM
dicknadine

yaall got me reinterested in Old Timers. 1st one Flying Quaker, back in ~ 1937/38/39. bought my 1st Brown Jr for a costly$10. will get started on ordering the Top Dawg.
Old 12-21-2003, 09:15 AM
Mike Denest

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go to the RCM website and yuou will find a link for the plans.
Old 12-22-2003, 08:42 AM
boberos

Slightly off topic but I thought you might like to know.

A well known model designer & builder will have full size plans for an electric version of the 1966 Ken Willard designed 'Top Dawg' in an upcoming issue of "FLY RC"

By the way, there will be a whole pack of 'DAWGS' at the upcoming Spring Hill FL vintage meet in Feb 04.

Good luck,
Bob G