Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

"Glory Days" Vintage Flyin Event!!

Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

"Glory Days" Vintage Flyin Event!!

Old 11-08-2010, 11:13 AM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Glory Days" Vintage Flyin Event!!

Guys, I’ve been conversing with Jim Katz and Mike Langlois about having a “Glory Days” type of Vintage flying in the spring. This flyin would most likely be the first of its kind focusing on vintage models of all types. Sort of like “The way we flew” type of event. We’re thinking of having the field setup for vintage RC, 2 or 3 controline circles (grass)for vintage models as well as the 1/2A kids, and even possibly free flight if the weather/winds are fair to us. Mike has almost 100 acres of almost treeless field we currently are hold AMA pylon racing on so there is a small paved takeoff area on the runway. He has about 1700 feet of runway in several directions. We currently pit about 400 feet away from the runway under some old pecan trees that provide plenty of shade and relaxation for spectators and flyers. But for this event pitting and staging would be much closer to the runways. The field is in Julian, NC.

Anyway, I’m sort of throwing this out to the group to see if something like this would be of interest to everyone. All vintage type of models would be allowed including electric, diesel, rubber band, etc. We would even allow engines that were originally sold without mufflers to run in the spirit of the good old days!! No competition just fun for all. What do you think? 1 day or 2 day event. Let me have some feedback and see if a “Glory Days” flyin is worth the time.

Thanks,

Bob Harris
Old 11-08-2010, 11:37 AM
evan-RCU

Default RE:

Count me and my Quakers in...
Old 11-08-2010, 12:01 PM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: RE:

Too bad you're so far away, I'd bring my "Commodore."
Walt
Old 11-08-2010, 12:12 PM
iflyj3
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE:

Sounds good to me.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:56 PM
spaceworm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE:

I would like to come and bring my Kenhi Buzzard, and my Mighty Mambo. I have an unbuilt Thermic 72 also, and some old radios and engines.

Sincerely, Richard
Old 11-10-2010, 04:25 AM
gene6029

Im in Bob. Sounds like a great idea.....Gene

PS, Im offering to bring my Kadet Senior along & give any kids interested stick time thru a buddy box if you think that would be ok.....
Old 11-10-2010, 11:16 AM
BobHH

Now thats what I'm talking about Gene!!! Lets get some new guys on your buddy box and into the hobby. It seems years ago modelers were more friendly and willing to help each other more. Not that all modelers are not helpful today, its just the feeling I've gotten during visits to various fields and hobby shops. Of course back in the "Glory Days" we had no ARFs except for Lanier so most guys were builders as well as flyers. Much work and time went into our flying machines so we were eagar to share experiences and advice!!

Bob Harris
Old 11-10-2010, 12:19 PM
evan-RCU

Default RE:

Bob, by mentioning Lanier you are narrowing the dates... We also had a few foam planes then but they were not highly prized... The Laniers are what finally got my solo done as they were tough enough to land in the cotton fields where I learned to fly and not be destroyed...
Old 11-10-2010, 12:40 PM
BobHH

Yep, Evan I too flew many Lanier models. My favorite was my first multi ship the Pursuit. I’ve looked for several years for one crashed or new. I even visited Herman Spivey old hobby shop a few years back and he call his son Bubba to see if he still had the molds which unfortunately he did not. I have the radio, the engine, most of the hair!! but no Pursuit!! Well maybe someday!!!

Bob Harris
Old 11-10-2010, 10:55 PM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

Bob,

Don't feel bad, I'm still looking for a Bronco or a GO GO.......been looking a LONG time.... hopefully one will show up someday....

BTW... Im in for the meet...

Dan
Carolina Custom Aircraft
Old 11-11-2010, 01:23 PM
fireman7875
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE:

Well, Bob you know I am interested. Are you referring to a specific time period or what. I may have a control line plane to fly an who knows what else. That is, if I can still turn around in a circle without getting dizzy!

Brian
Old 11-11-2010, 06:21 PM
BobHH

Well, I think "Vintage" would qualify any model that was designed, flown, published, etc. 35 years old or older from current year so that would put it at 1975 or older? Heck, are there any good flying controline models newer that that?

Deadstik, as I recall there are quite a few great pattern designs that fall into that category you currently are offering kits of are'nt you?

Bob
Old 11-11-2010, 06:28 PM
Shorty Gauge

Default RE:

Bob,

Was that picture taken at Quail Hollow Jr. High School? Nice hair. If I had a dog with a face like that, I'd shave his butt and teach him to walk backwards.

Alway Myself, Shorty Gauge

Pantyhose, NC. Not the best place in the world, but right next to it.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:29 PM
BobHH

Yep, that picture was taken at Quail Hollow Jr High I think in 69? Notice I dressed more official back in those days!! Lets see.... dress pants and shirt with cuff links!!! Back in those days there was a dress code in high school!!!

I've got that radio complete and working great, the Veco 61 just don't have the Pursuit!!!

Bob Harris
Old 11-12-2010, 07:25 AM
gene6029

Default RE:

Bob, sent ya a PM.....Gene
Old 11-13-2010, 12:55 AM
maxpower1954

GREAT IDEA BOB!!! If you can keep Jim Katz under control, always a tall order!

One of my frustrations has been most of the VRCS meets are just too far away. I did make Bluegrass last year, Octoberfest two years ago and the Muncie meet last year.

I miss the Mid-South gathering you worked on so hard for many years...only three hours away.

BTW, I had a Pursuit in 1970 with a Veco .45 and flew it until it wore out. Russ Farris
Old 11-14-2010, 01:03 AM
Jeff Foley
My Feedback: (44)

Default RE:

Sounds like a great idea to me....I would come.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:35 AM
maxpower1954

That wouldn't be the same Jeff Foley that lived in Miami in the late 1970s and flew at Old Tamiami Airport near FIU would it? Russ Farris
Old 11-14-2010, 11:21 AM
Jeff Foley

Nope....that's not me. I was living in Raleigh, NC during the late seventies.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:28 AM
gene6029

Default RE:

Heck Jeff, We could fly there in your full scale stearman....... if you dont mind strapping a few of my models to the wings....Gene
Old 11-16-2010, 11:09 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE:

Hey Bob!,,I should be able to get something together by the spring, I'll show...Rog
Old 11-16-2010, 05:11 PM
BobHH

Well guys we’re leaning toward the weekend of May 21 as the date for the first “Glory Days” Vintage Fly-in. Still undecided about a one or two day event but most likely it will be one day (Saturday) with the field open on Sunday for anyone staying over and wanting to get more flying in.

Again, the focus is just a good old fashion fly-in like it was in years gone by. Hope to see plenty of vintage models of RC, controlling and free flight. Bring out the wife, kids, grand kids, hitch hikers, girl friend(s) boy friend(s) in/out laws, what even!! Just come, relax, fly, bench race, etc.!!

Keep in touch for updates and a flyer.

Bob Harris
Old 11-16-2010, 08:42 PM
Jeff Foley

ORIGINAL: gene6029

Heck Jeff, We could fly there in your full scale stearman....... if you dont mind strapping a few of my models to the wings....Gene
Gene, believe it or not I have tried to fit models in the front cockpit.....and it ain't happening. I've also tried sleeping in it....that isn't easy either.

Bob,

That date sounds good. Having C/L, R/C and free flight all on one field will remind me of the old NATS. It will be great. I still have a Ringmaster, but I haven't flown C/L in so long I am not sure if I still can.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:34 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE:

What constitutes vintage at this meet?
Old 11-17-2010, 02:07 PM
BobHH

Anything that is 35 years or older from the current year. So it will be 2011, so any aircraft designed, published, flown by 1976 or before!! It can be electric powered, gas, diesel, rubber band, etc. If you have a control line model that is newer, I say bring it own. The key is to have fun, fellowship, and have a great time!! If you have any vintage stuff to display, partial built models, vintage engines, radios etc bring them out so everyone can see and learn some history!!!

PS: This will be a AMA sanctioned event so AMA insurance will be required. So if you do not have AMA just like the flyins in days of old we will have applications to sign you up!!

Bob Harris

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.