Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Testor's Skyhawk OMT

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 10:14 PM
Frank Schwartz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Testor's Skyhawk OMT

Well, I can't find all the old postings on the Testor's Skyhawk, but in going back thruogh my old magazines I found my article in the January 1968 issue of Model Airplane News. I took a Bonner RS (mini) system and an Enya 09R/C and put it in a Testor's Skyhawk with added ailerons and elevator..full house...possibly according the the editor's note, the first "mini" full house ever done...ahem!!!
I remember selling that Bonner RS system radio some years later to Al Signiorino of the R/C Snoopy Doghouse fame from St. Louis. I think he belonged to the McCDonnald R/C club or something like that. I used to keep in touch with him, but over the years lost contact with him. One must surmise that he passed away.
Anyhow, that little plane really flew nice and I could even make inverted passes over the runway.... hot stuff back in those days.
Regards to all
Frank Schwartz
AMA123 85 years young...still building and flying...
in Hendersonville, (Nashville area) TN
Old 12-27-2010, 02:39 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Testor's Skyhawk OMT

Hi Frank...here's one of the threads on the Testors Skyhawk (there were 2 I believe? )

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_17...tm.htm#1790726
Old 12-27-2010, 10:15 PM
maxpower1954

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a link to a Testors Skyhawk thread I started a year ago. I still haven't flown mine yet. I sent the radio to Jay Mendoza and he had trouble tracking down an intermittent reciever failure. He thought he had it fixed, and I actually had the engine running, ready to hand launch and I took one last look at the rudder - it was hard over! Good thing I looked. Jay sent a brand-new Ace reciever to replace the old one, but I haven't had a chance to install it yet. A recent distraction is a full-scale 1957 Cessna 172 I'm restoring (I just painted it myself) but that's another story. BTW Frank, I read your MAN article about the full-house conversion with great interest when I was a kid, and now I'm 56! (not trying to make you feel any older ) Russ Farris

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_93..._1/key_/tm.htm
Old 01-25-2011, 06:22 AM
Cox Stuka

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear Mr. Schwartz,

Just a note to say a very belated thanks for your article in the 1968 M.A.N ! My uncle taught me to fly control line planes in late 1967 or so, and gave me many of his model magazines. Your article was one of the first I read about Radio Control. I didn't have a clue about the names of the equipment, but zeroed in on your decriptions of how the Skyhawk flew, and used my imagination to visualize what it would have been like to do all of that with a small model.

I'd occasionally hitch a ride with my uncle to a hobby shop in Metropolis, Illinois that had a Testors Skyhawk up on a top shelf, but the price was light-years outside of my lawn-mowing, GRIT selling budget, and I didn't have the financial decipline to save for it. Still, I could imagine, and your article, along with those by the likes of Dave Robelen, Dave Thornburg, and Don McGovern are still some of my best memories from that time.

It's good to know you're still in the game and having a big time with these wonderful flying machines!

Kim Allen Stricker
Old 01-25-2011, 11:16 AM
Frank Schwartz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kim: Thank you for your kind words...the radio I used with the Skyhawk 4 channel conversion was a Bonner RS which probably stood for Really Small. And it was for its time. The servos were slightly smaller than the standard servos of today and the receiver was, too...and it really flew nicely..sorry I did not have sense enough to keep some of those great old planes and equipment as I upgraded over the years...
Frank