Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

How Many Builders Are Left?

Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

How Many Builders Are Left?

Old 03-29-2011, 01:41 PM
yel914

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How Many Builders Are Left?

I personally don't care about splitting hairs in what I consider to be the rather gray area of scratchbuilding. Built that plane from a kit? I'm impressed. Drew your own plans? I'm impressed. Brought an ARF to the field. Well, that's OK for people that like that sort of thing. Just don't tell me you built that ARF. That's an insult to real modelers!
Old 03-29-2011, 01:54 PM
Ken Kehlet
My Feedback: (89)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need Plans ??

I own the Original Harold Osborne Plans and Scale Drawings. Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will send you a listing of the Plans that I make Full Size copies from.

Regards,
Ken AMA 1528
Old 04-12-2011, 06:24 PM
mgnostic

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts

I got started with plastic models and so have always been a builder. Having something other than a cookie cutter plane give you something to BS about when you aren't actually flying. I live an hour's drive from the nearest flying field so building is my other means of participating in the hobby..
Old 04-13-2011, 06:24 AM
roaddog2

mgnostic,
I'm th' same way; started w/plastic @ 7 or 8. 'Built my 1st U-control at 12. 'Built several more over th' years; I can count 'em on one hand. Bought one arf, a DP Super Cub that still needs to be powered and had a Tower Trainer given to me by a buddy. I have built three over th' last 2 yrs and have th' wood on order for another. That'n'll be my 1st scratch-build. Yeah, there ARE builders still around, an' I ARE one!
Cheers,
RD
Old 04-13-2011, 11:08 AM
Ken Kehlet

What are Plastic Models ? Aren't those about the same as Assembling a baby ARF ?

Strombecker and Lindberg made solid "Model kits" to carve and assemble before Plastic was invented. Cleveland Kits used Pine and cardboard during World War II, all the balsa went for the war effort.

If you want to "Build" your own Model: Buy a "KIT" or Find the Plans for the model that you like.
Lay out the Plans, doesn't matter who drew them, trace all the unique parts, cut the parts from balsa & plywood per the drawings, buy or cut your own straight wood for Spars and stringers, start "BUILDING" a model from the "Kit" that you have created from all the parts that you cut out.

Take a few weeks or months to complete the "BUILDING" part, cover it with something and/or paint it, install your equipment and be proud of what you have "BUILT".

May not be the most beautiful, but at least you can say that you "BUILT" this model, you did NOT FINISH the ASSEMBLY that someone in a foreign country built for the retail market.

Ken AMA 1528
Old 05-13-2011, 09:39 PM
JoeAverage

Hey Ken,

I bought both your Lund 1/4 scale Christen Eagles a while back now. The one that is completed with parts from Fiberglass specialties is a thing of beauty. The other one that is completed by building up wheel pants and Cowl from balsa is a beautiful design and would lend itself well to electrics. The detail with which the plans allow a builder to construct the parts typically required by a fuel engine to be epoxy glass or the like atest to the skill of the builder as the plan is superb. Monocote or Ultracote those pants and cowl and save a lot of money and messy painting. The better electric's get, the more popular that all wood Christen Eagle should get.

A good plastic model can be a source of great scale detail for a flying model. Marking size and panel lines etc.

edit
Just for clarity, I didn't clearly state that the cowl and pants of the 58" span Eagle of Ken's plans are to be fabricated from balsa and a bit of thin ply. The plans for these stylish aircraft cowl and wheelpant parts are excellent. Again, it would be an excellent scale electric model IMHO.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:07 PM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just don't tell me you built that ARF. That's an insult to real modelers!
Well, "real modelers" could mean just about anything. A "real modeler" could build dioramas of extreme detail, or build plastic models from vacuum formed parts.

ARF's, I like the word "assembled." After all, they are assembled.

I used to be a sign painter with art skills. A master sign painter, actually an artist. Over 25 years of it. Then these guys came around with no painting skills but they had computers, scanners, fonts, plotters and cutters. The industry went vinyl. These guys actually forced me to purchase a computer, otherwise I couldn't compete in the marketplace.

I viewed them as "nothing." I still view them as nothing. THEY, think they are something else! Try to convince them otherwise.

I now do my lettering and graphics with a computer. Yes, doing lettering and graphics with a computer, I do consider myself "nothing."

However, my art and painting abilities still go on. The painting, in the last photo, isn't completed. I'm working on it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18664.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	1608482   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt60808.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	1608483   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di11247.jpg
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	1608484   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ey69438.jpg
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	1608485   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sd43311.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	1608486   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ar10063.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	1608487   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tv37842.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	1608488   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sr59677.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	1608489  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf69558.jpg
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	1608490   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ly14070.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	1608491   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo66979.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	1608492  
Old 05-17-2011, 11:49 AM
JoeAverage

Avaiojet, It takes guts to have that conviction. You hit it, Model: Represent so as to appear three-dimensional. The creation of the ARF could the be destruction of what a fellow may have built otherwise. The skill that may or may not been realized with trying to build one and more. That 1/4 scale Waco YKS-6 ARF that is available does not begin to approximate the giant scale 1:3.7 ? Waco of Charlie Nelson. It would be spurious arguement to compare these 2 representations as equals on any level. Both Waco. My dislike of the ARF or RTF, runs right out of the box when you hit the on switch I guess, hasn't made me any more popular. It creates a "so you think you're better than me" thing. No, just my model. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Love your art. I wouldn't know where to begin to discuss it intelligently but I do see a discernible style that is your own. I wish I had that sort of talent.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:46 PM
Avaiojet

The creation of the ARF could the be destruction of what a fellow may have built otherwise. The skill that may or may not been realized with trying to build one and more.
Interesting words and effectively said.

There's probably super talent, building talent that is, which will never be expressed or developed, let alone the attempt.

No one really cares. That's what I don't understand?

I like the challange of building. Even if I hardly ever get a model completed.

I remember a Club meeting some years ago. I brought my bashed Paige Gee Bee Z. It was built but just framed, no covering or paint. I really did a number on Adrian's kit in that now the model is 95% scale.

I had some interest going in the 55" model, some, till a guy walked in with an "assembled" 25% Extra 300 ARF 3D type, glowing with the, already applied, bright red iron-on covering.

I lost the whole crowd, to an "out of the box model" that anyone could buy.

One guy, admired my efforts.

Here's the model!

Name:	Us54159.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	1610482   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46089.jpg
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	1610483   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48060.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	1610484   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cw63905.jpg
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	1610485  
Old 05-17-2011, 09:20 PM
JoeAverage

ORIGINAL: Avaiojet
Interesting words and effectively said.

There's probably super talent, building talent that is, which will never be expressed or developed, let alone the attempt.

I remember a Club meeting some years ago. I brought my bashed Paige Gee Bee Z. It was built but just framed, no covering or paint. I really did a number on Adrian's kit in that now the model is 95% scale.

I had some interest going in the 55'' model, some, till a guy walked in with an ''assembled'' 25% Extra 300 ARF 3D type, glowing with the, already applied, bright red iron-on covering.
I lost the whole crowd, to an ''out of the box model'' that anyone could buy.

One guy, admired my efforts.
Here's the model!
I checked back in the thread. The topic has brought out a lot of old favorites. I saw your Gee Bee Z. I always wanted one of those from as soon as Adrien brought them out. That must be 13 years ago now. I talked with him. There were none available that day or given my compulsive nature I would have bought one. The first engine he displayed in one was a photograph of a 985P&W straight on. It looked like a perfect fabrication in the picture. I have been looking fo a jpeg for that ever since but it's the straight on aspect I have never found. It was most effective. I see his kit has a formed engine now. That must be an OS 80 rear intake in yours??? I have one that was belonged to Bud Nosen. He brought it to an Ontario show. It then went into a 1/5th Pica UMF before I totally rebuilt it. I hasn't been run since. It was my intention to put it into a 1/3 S2-A. The one Andy Sheber designed built and flew with a Fox .78. Andy couldn't locate an OS. They were the biggest engine in '72 and new then. The last Sheber 33% S2-A I saw had a 3W106B2 in it and weighed 28 lbs. Andy's was just under 18. It's curious how giant scale models flew with .60's when that was all there was. Building light and flying scale were very important then. Now they are weighed and the biggest possible engines are shoehorned in. Works well in many cases.

I go to a 40 year running scale event every year where most handbuilt scale models take more of a back seat to the ARF monoplanes that all look the same as they serve the same need. Flying like helicopters. This show was dominated by truly fantastic scale models up till 15 years ago. There are still several outstanding builders attending but I don't see the cross section getting any younger.

I feel for you at that meeting. One out of a room. Sounds about right.

I left one club because at one meeting I asked if anyone would mind if I flew control-line if their was no one else flying. One drunk yelled out "Get your own field". I removed a well thought tirade least I get a cross burnt on my lawn.

I cannot get over control line. Have may C/L models. They hang nice and close to walls. Biggest is a 63" Ringmaster waiting for final assembly and covering. Control line provided me with the fondest modelling memories of my life as a youth. The big RM was scratch built. 150% of a .35 size. I have two Ares I-Beamers to assemble and a Nobler kit. Very heady models. I just love to build and cut wood. They will all be finished whenever. I do it my way.

It seems like so many don't care on the level that we may. Maybe they can't appreciate what they haven't experienced. I hang on too tight. There is a group of serious Control-liners three hours away that would have me. Long drive on a Wednesday night to turn a few circles. There a hundred thousand people closer than Toronto and I'm the only one who has actively sought others closer to fly with. RC, FF, indoor, rubber and plastic also vie for my attention. Ritalin, need Ritalin.

Hang onto your dreams.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:57 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 139 Likes on 118 Posts

So sad.

If any drunk had told me to find my own field, I'd have left the club. Let's hope that he was an exceptional oaf and that the others would have allowed you a few minutes to fly your control liners.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:00 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: JoeAverage

...The last Sheber 33% S2-A I saw had a 3W106B2 in it and weighed 28 lbs. Andy's was just under 18. It's curious how giant scale models flew with .60's when that was all there was. Building light and flying scale were very important then.

...I go to a 40 year running scale event every year where most handbuilt scale models take more of a back seat to the ARF monoplanes that all look the same as they serve the same need. Flying like helicopters. This show was dominated by truly fantastic scale models up till 15 years ago. There are still several outstanding builders attending but I don't see the cross section getting any younger.

I left one club because at one meeting I asked if anyone would mind if I flew control-line if their was no one else flying. One drunk yelled out ''Get your own field''. I removed a well thought tirade least I get a cross burnt on my lawn.

I cannot get over control line. Have ma(n)y C/L models. They hang nice and close to walls. Biggest is a 63'' Ringmaster waiting for final assembly and covering. Control line provided me with the fondest modelling memories of my life as a youth. The big RM was scratch built. 150% of a .35 size. I have two Ares I-Beamers to assemble and a Nobler kit. Very heady models. I just love to build and cut wood. They will all be finished whenever. I do it my way.

It seems like so many don't care on the level that we may. Maybe they can't appreciate what they haven't experienced. I hang on too tight. There is a group of serious Control-liners three hours away that would have me. Long drive on a Wednesday night to turn a few circles. There a hundred thousand people closer than Toronto and I'm the only one who has actively sought others closer to fly with. RC, FF, indoor, rubber and plastic also vie for my attention. Ritalin, need Ritalin.

Hang onto your dreams.

Had to finally add my 2-cents here. Been following the thread for quite awhile, agree with 99.5% of what most of the builders here have to say - but this particular exchange is almost like I was talking, not someone else.

You don't know how right you are about building talent that will never be expressed. We've got a guy right here in town that flies RTF's almost exclusively, ARF's when he can't get RTF's. He's a furniture maker, by trade. I finally talked him into trying out a Nosen P-51 that he'd had sitting around since they were new on the market. Took me 4 years of harranging, took him over a year to build it - and it really should be in a museum, the quality is that good. TALENT galore!

He didn't want it - gave it to me. I fly the living begeebers out of it, and it's fabulous.

It's the only plane I've ever flown that I didn't build myself.

Control-line; my first (and greatest) love. My oldest surviving plane is a profile P-82 that was built/kit-bashed from a crashed P-51 and another still in the box. She's been flying since 1971 with the original Fox-35's (sans mufflers) - my greatest pride and joy of them all. Then there are all the Sterling Skylarks that I've got - no 2 quite the same. The last one I built came from e-bay, the seller was so proud that the box was in absolutely new-from-factory condition. She was built and in the air in 3 weeks - flies every chance I get. The "new-from-factory" box holds a lot of "scrap" wood that I use for repairs to various planes. I won't go into the profile P-63, Cosmic Wind, DeBolt Ercoupe that I built as C/L, or the myriad others that I've got in my stable, other than to say that each and every plane listed above (and quite a few others) was built/silkspan'd/doped and flown by yours truly.

RC my greatest challenge. Have built, flown, repaired, flown some more - so many planes I can hardly remember them all. But I've always considered building to be just the first part of flying. When I built it I know exactly what's under that pretty skin - what makes her work. The guys that do ARF/RTF-types will never know the satisfaction that we know when we take that brand new bird up for the first time - the one we lost sleep and hair over for so many weeks/months. Nor can they understand the 40+ year old plane that we keep in the air because it would break our heart to retire it.

The saddest part of it all is that I've found there's no way to describe it to them either. They just don't understand.

However, we've got an advantage over all of them - and after re-reading the whole thread, I found that nobody has mentioned it yet. We can fix thier crashes and put them back into the air. I do it, for a price.

Yeah, that's right. I charge for the service IF it's an ARF/RTF, sometimes in amounts that almost embarrass me. I'm 63, been building/flying since I was 7. They're 20-whatever with lots more money than self-esteem, they can afford it. That's probably considered rather mercenary of me - but that's my right. I can do it, they can't.

A guy recently landed his Tower Nexstar cross-wind and ripped the snap-on landing gear right off the plane. Did some damage to the fuse too - but not much. Two days and $25 later (took almost 1 hour of work) he's got a plane that will NEVER rip off its landing gear again, and the repair can't be seen. Yeah, the plane's 3 ounces heavier than it was, but she's also a whole lot stronger - at least as far as the landing gear is concerned.

...if I flew control-line if their was no one else flying. One drunk yelled out ''Get your own field''...
Yeah, I've met these "people". Promptly forgot they exist too, unless they need a repair to their ARF/RTF. I charge double (or more) for them.

BTW, I don't charge a cent to repair a "built" plane - it's truly my pleasure and honor to repair one of those. That's a guy trusting me with HIS pride and joy.

...I hang on too tight.
No, you don't. You're a builder/flier. That's where your love is. That's where my love is too. If it's in a box, it's going to get built. If it's built, it's going to fly until the wings fall off - and then I'm likely to repair her and fly her until they fall off again.

That's what "modeling" is all about.

Guys, I'm sorry this became so long-winded, but it's my passion. I love to build, I love to fly, and I especially love seeing another guy do the same. He's a person I can talk to, who knows what my heart is really saying.

BTW, AVAIOJET! That's fabulous art work!!!!!!

And the GB - awesome! Nothing less.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:55 AM
JoeAverage

ORIGINAL: Telemaster Sales UK

So sad.

If any drunk had told me to find my own field, I'd have left the club. Let's hope that he was an exceptional oaf and that the others would have allowed you a few minutes to fly your control liners.
It was hurtful. No one spoak up either way after that comment, for or against. I left the club not long after. Not just my loss. My basement is a handy guy to have around when someone (like a club mate) needs something is a hurry. I have bought out the RC inventories of two LHS that have gone under. I always supported the LHS until there were none left. I often make the 2-3 hour drive to support the 3 excellent LHS within that time radius.

Love the Telemaster. I have put 1/32 ply doublers on the front sides from the FW to "Sta 2" and then taper down until past the LG mounts. Is this overkill? Also a good .60 2 cycle should fly the Sr.? That plate motor mount alows to make changes easily. I make the 40 kit (2) to accommodate trike or tail dragger. The Sr. I haven't finished yet. Can't wait. I have just kitted 2.
I called Hobby Lobby for 12 Foot plans. One set left. I figured they would always be available. Not. Only kits now. Good value but I would like to use up some wood and have 6 foot spars. Great history behind the beginning of the Telemaster. You will know this but for those others who may not.

The Telemaster was used to run “pull stringsâ€, used as pilot leads to pull guy wires and electric wire over mountain ranges and other natural barriers in Europe. As of late the Telemaster has also become a tool used by scientists to do different atmospheric sampling tasks and aerial surveying. Also the Telemaster has become a popular subject for testing of autonomous flight controls.

The Telemaster is an essential bit of kit.

Cheers.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:55 PM
JoeAverage

ORIGINAL: skylark-flier

Had to finally add my 2-cents here. Been following the thread for quite awhile, agree with 99.5% of what most of the builders here have to say - but this particular exchange is almost like I was talking, not someone else.

You don't know how right you are about building talent that will never be expressed. We've got a guy right here in town that flies RTF's almost exclusively, ARF's when he can't get RTF's. He's a furniture maker, by trade. I finally talked him into trying out a Nosen P-51 that he'd had sitting around since they were new on the market. Took me 4 years of harranging, took him over a year to build it - and it really should be in a museum, the quality is that good. TALENT galore!

He didn't want it - gave it to me. I fly the living begeebers out of it, and it's fabulous.

It's the only plane I've ever flown that I didn't build myself.

Control-line; my first (and greatest) love. My oldest surviving plane is a profile P-82 that was built/kit-bashed from a crashed P-51 and another still in the box. She's been flying since 1971 with the original Fox-35's (sans mufflers) - my greatest pride and joy of them all. Then there are all the Sterling Skylarks that I've got - no 2 quite the same. The last one I built came from e-bay, the seller was so proud that the box was in absolutely new-from-factory condition. She was built and in the air in 3 weeks - flies every chance I get. The ''new-from-factory'' box holds a lot of ''scrap'' wood that I use for repairs to various planes. I won't go into the profile P-63, Cosmic Wind, DeBolt Ercoupe that I built as C/L, or the myriad others that I've got in my stable, other than to say that each and every plane listed above (and quite a few others) was built/silkspan'd/doped and flown by yours truly.

RC my greatest challenge. Have built, flown, repaired, flown some more - so many planes I can hardly remember them all. But I've always considered building to be just the first part of flying. When I built it I know exactly what's under that pretty skin - what makes her work. The guys that do ARF/RTF-types will never know the satisfaction that we know when we take that brand new bird up for the first time - the one we lost sleep and hair over for so many weeks/months. Nor can they understand the 40+ year old plane that we keep in the air because it would break our heart to retire it.

[/quote]

All your remarks are well received. Many passionate builders have replied with one consistency, pretty much a life-long facsination that has kept us building. Many of us have been building for so long that it has become second nature and those things that we learned in our formative years have given us an ability to understand drawings, materials, technique and a sense for aerodynamics we may be hard pressed to express in words. Building has become second nature. It wasn't apparent how much I knew until I tried to help genuinely motivated but totally inexperienced individuals, and in turn this demonstrated the honest ignorance of the novice. We are all born blank of course. The knowledge we have is hard to come by. New magazines for the most part must pander to the advertisers and the buyers of current products. They are ARF catalogs and seldom feature kit or plan built projects af any large effort. There are very few kits compared to the past and plans are so stealable now that few aspire to develop them as was once the case. Little foam things with... who knows. One young fellow, 20 something, I helped via a forum, despite his enthusiasm, had real trouble with what most of us take for granted. If he has to buy an ARF to speed up the flying curve then I understand and hope that he will someday realize and develop that ratio of skill to knowledge that will allow him to do what is as natural as breathing to many of us and will allow him to build his model. It was a Sterling .35 U/C Ringmaster that had him challenged. A long road ahead for him.

I had an uncle that had the greatest models hanging in his basement. Different places my mother took me to visit her friends would reveal flying models hanging from the ceiling. I was model struck. In the 50's and 60's this was a real thinking mans hobby. They were more popular back then per capita. Things were different. The local club had 10 times the members it has today. Men built their own boats too. My father taught me with the last 3 we built together. 100 more and I would have it down pat. Even with simple plywood, transitioning a lap joint to a butt joint as the chine approaches the stem is something that isn't in any boatbuilding book I have read. I use an unusual number of laminations in my aircraft models. I made a 3 inch by 4.5 foot steam trunk for bending pine and spruce. Ammonia works great as well, it softens the lignin in the wood without hurting the strength when dry. Lingnum is often used in place with the term lignin. Lignum vitae is a very dense heavy wood. Lignin is in any wood. It keeps the cells from absorbing water while ensuring water flows through the wood. It is the component in print paper that makes old paper yellow and must be bleached out of the pulp before making paper for non yellowing product. Anyway, it makes sense that if this temporarily disolved the wood becomes very flexible. Boat building has crept into my model making like a machinists lathe and mill will be making brakes and converting weed eaters engines into very serviceable and affordable engines and all those things I wouldn't think of because I know precious little more than High School machine shop. The furniture maker who built the great P-51 demonstartes how transferable and valuable a real skill can be when building anything and certainly models. Again, reading a drawing, understanding that most materials have a grain or zones of hardness or coloration that must be considered. Schools dropping shop are doing a huge injustice. Turning out generations of kids that can't build a flying model. My Mechanics Illustrated "Book for Boys" from 1940 something sums up where things have gone against us. This book (non-yellowing paper) is full of projects that a kid with his dad's help can (could) build then. Not easy or simple but commensurate with what was expected of men in a society where everything wasn't crappy and disposable. Radios, go-carts, canoes, box kites, soap box racers, small boats and models of most anything Remember the things that were all intended to be repaied if they needed it? Appliances, radios, Tv's and dad could do a lot of it. A man had to have a talent in his hands. Too many jobs that required skills are gone. Not just tradesmen but skilled. In times of recession hobbies are the first to go. Free Flight and indoor models are quite affordale and require an enviable amount of skill and knowledge. Little money doesn't have to mean no models.

edited for bad grammar and spelling
Old 06-29-2011, 12:09 PM
mgrande11

I build arfs
Old 06-29-2011, 01:19 PM
Ken Kehlet

The Chinese people BUILD ARFs to sell in USA.

People in USA just ASSEMBLE ARFs, Crash them and ASSEMBLE another.

Ken AMA 1528
Old 06-29-2011, 05:32 PM
Avaiojet

JoeAverage,

How many words can you type in a minute?

I have some ARF's.

CMP, P-40, a CMP P-51, a H9 Corsair.

I was going to sell these NIB models, but now I'm thinking of CL'ing them!

Old 06-29-2011, 09:47 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 139 Likes on 118 Posts

I prefer to build myself but recognise that most people just assemble ARTFs. I feel a stronger emotional bond to a model I have made or restored, than I ever will with an ARTF and I've assembled two of them so I know what I'm talking about.

However, "Courage et Confiance!" as General Joffre once said (before he wiped out half the youth and manhood of France,) all is not lost!

Over fifty of us decided to buy a short-kit known as the Webbit sold by Steve Webb Models of Frodsham, Cheshire. Steve, who suffers from arthritis, contributed £5 ($8US) to an arthritis research charity for every Webbit sold. Sixteen of us turned up to the RCM&E Fly-In at the Greenacres Club's site on Sunday to exhibit our Webbits and several more had turned up on the previous day.

If you visit www.modelflying.co.uk then go to " Forum" then to the "Charity Mass Build 2011" section, then explore the threads, "Completed Webbit Gallery" and "Greenacres" amongst the other threads in that section, you'll see just what a super job so many have made of their models.

In the end I never got to fly my model, the "Wideline Webbit," it looked a bit too hot for me to maiden at a public event, so I removed the receiver and auctioned it off for £37 ($60) which was added to the sum raised for the charity.

I believe that we raised about £600 ($960) for Arthritis Research.

Picture of my inadequate effort attached.

Name:	Ax72829.jpg
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	1629610  
Old 06-29-2011, 10:24 PM
JoeAverage

JoeAverage,

How many words can you type in a minute?
That depends on if I turn the light on and can find my glasses.

I have some ARF's.
CMP, P-40, a CMP P-51, a H9 Corsair.
I was going to sell these NIB models, but now I'm thinking of CL'ing them!

They look good. I had to Google em'
I must confess I have a Hanger 9 Taylorcraft ARF I like and two others for training. You would know which ones would be suitable for "C/L open scale flying" and they would look great. I don't see enough scale subjects at control-line events so they would be great for appearances. I like Classic Stunt. I-Beam and Scale C/L models. There are a lot of Control Line ARFs intended for it but few that have any scale appeal.
We just had the most excellent weekend past at a Southern Ontario control-line meet, "The Beanfield" Contest for 80 mph Combat, 120 mph F2B Combat, Sport Racing and Profile Stunt. Maybe the participants feel the world encroaching on yet another traditional pastime and try a little harder to be accomodating to all comers but I have not has as good a time with a bunch of relative strangers in a long time. Within 30 minutes the wife and I had lap counters and stop watches delegated to us. An hour after that I had my arm twisted into flying in open Stunt. Marvelous. It had been a while. These combat models are state of the art high performance engines on wings that only vary slightly from each other. The other models, some profile scale others classic stunt. There were newer modern stunt ships. I had put my C/L stuff in the attic. Today I have been pulling it all out. We met some real great flyers who invited us to come to their sites. All a 2 hour plus drive but worth it. I have a C/L community again thanks to them.

Name:	Vt57184.jpg
Size:	273.9 KB
ID:	1629613   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15727.jpg
Size:	265.6 KB
ID:	1629614   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl19315.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	253.9 KB
ID:	1629615  
Old 06-29-2011, 10:49 PM
JoeAverage

ORIGINAL: Telemaster Sales UK

I prefer to build myself but recognise that most people just assemble ARTFs. I feel a stronger emotional bond to a model I have made or restored, than I ever will with an ARTF and I've assembled two of them so I know what I'm talking about.

In the end I never got to fly my model, the ''Wideline Webbit,'' it looked a bit too hot for me to maiden at a public event, so I removed the receiver and auctioned it off for £37 ($60) which was added to the sum raised for the charity.
Your model ''Wideline Webbit,'' looks like it would be real fun. An aerobatic AC for rough runways and turbulent sky. That airfoil is great! It looks like an excellent job you did of building it and a most generous act of charity to auction it off for a fraction of it's worth to support that cause. Arthritis has all but ruined my life. There is so much they don't know. In my case a severe trauma kicked it into high gear at 30.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:01 AM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I love the Webbit, your version, and the whole idea...nice work and thanks for posting. My brother has been hit hard by arthritis and it's starting to creep up on me too.

Jim
Old 07-13-2011, 04:46 PM
Avaiojet

Joe,

Difficult time reading your blue ink. Took me two weeks to figure it out.

Is the Shark Attack your model?

Exactly what do you have in CL stuff?
Old 07-14-2011, 09:10 AM
JoeAverage

Joe,

Difficult time reading your blue ink. Took me two weeks to figure it out.

Is the Shark Attack your model?

Exactly what do you have in CL stuff?
Hi Charles,

This is a lot of what "you" already know. I try to promote the hobby when I speak of it. So many people don't know how much fun the hobby is and how friendly the people interested in it are. There is demanding competition for those who want that aspect of a hobby. 120 - 140 mph combat models being flown with the idea of cutting a ribbon towed by each model is one event. Racing another. In racing there is a stock engine rule, and fuel and prop are provided by event co-ordinators. Pit stops make or make these often. The plane must conform to a set of parameters. It's not the guy with the most money who wins. Scale can be as involved as one wants. C/L is a good method of flying a scale model that one wants to fly but method of control is second to the building and detail of the model.

The Shark Attack is an Impact with a Tom Dixon ST.51. It works great and it's not mine. I am considering one. My control line stuff is a more dated selection. Having got away from it for a several years when I got back into it I built stuff I knew. Mostly Goldberg stuff. I wanted the 1/2 A Stuntman and Lil Jumping Bean so I built a few of them. I built a Lil Wizard for my wife to learn to fly on. Built properly they really do fly on 52 foot lines and are self correcting. I built three .35 Ringmasters and three .35 Shoestings.

I have six other airframes requiring covering. One is a 63" Ringmaster I built for a Fox .59. I am putting an ST .51 in it instead. Something I had never built before but have decided to focus on is the I-Beam Designs. I have kitted 3 Ares from Ambroid plans. I got talked out of one kit. Then Bill released the plan for the real '59 Ares so I will try to do one of those to. Just yesterday I ordered Tucker 4 plans from PAMPA. The Tucker 4 from the late fifties is truly exceptional I beamer. These 50+ inch span models like the Ares are popular eith OS LA .46's. There are more expensive engines. I would have been quite content using my Fox .29, .35, and .36 engines. I have OS MAX-S an FP-S engines in all sizes and Enya's galor. The Fox .36 is earmarked for a VooDoo I have in the works. I bought the Wooten VooDoo kit and just duplicated it for one to build. They fly better if one doubles the length of the booms. There are other I-Beam models in the works also. I can't forget the new Original Nobler by George Aldrich that is new in the box and a Buster that I will turn into a Racer. 70 lap heats with one pit stop. Final is 140 lap heat with 2 pits. I like to fly the crap out of a fast combat plane. It makes for being a better stunt pattern flier just like .25 size RC Combat hones ones thumb skill.

All my scale C/L models are in boxes. The Sterling C series. I bought a bunch of them off ebay. It was fun to remove the celophane again 30 years later. One was supposed to be NIB but opened and missing the decals. The .35 size Great Lakes ST-2-B I think. That will be a good scale model. The others will reamain collectables and I'll build from plans. I got one of the original C series Waco SRE .35 size for almost nothing because the seller on ebay didn't know how to list that item.

Carrier flying is just too much to ask for. I'm lucky to have found these other stunt and race type flyers. I have some old Veco kits. Among them are 2 I-Beam Crusaders specifically for Navy Carrier. Anhedral wings and full flying anhedral tail. Very cool.

I submit that there is a lot of fun to had from control line models. This Brodak company which is a one stop shop for control line everything. Even ARFs. They have a week long event on site, a huge pastoral piece of private parkland in Pennsylvania that maybe hundreds of people wouldn't miss for anything. Non stop fun flying and workshops. A fully serviced shop for everyones use. I wish I could go. One of these days. There is the VSC event. RC takes a ot of the summer weekends up.

http://www.brodak.com/shop_productde...ProductID=2592

Control line can be an affordable hobby that lets a person build and fly at the park. If you want to spend $300 for engines and get all high performance. That can be easily done also. It doesn't compare to R/C well except for building. Many C/L flyers build R/C as well. For a solitary builder there can be no club, no fees and an unlimited outlet for craftsmanship. All you need is a socer field somewhere to fly off. There is a device called a stooge that will hold your model so that after you have started it you can get back to the handle, prepare yourself and with a line on the ground, release the stooge.

I don't have many better pics Charles. The 2 of my den are obvious and not current. The beautiful Models are mostly I-Beam and not mine. There is a Nobler, black with white nose. A Nobler is a must have. 3 Ringmaster wings, a 32" 42" and 64". The big one is a 150% enlargment I made from the .35 size kit.

I have to check out some plans that I just got in the mail that I have been looking for for 20 years. Once I see them there may be no more time for talk.

Cheers, JoeSoAverage

Name:	Fd92081.jpg
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	1635164   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44224.jpg
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	1635165   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu50485.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	1635166   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pa32862.jpg
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	1635167   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zq97071.jpg
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	1635168   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fh79453.jpg
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	1635169   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz47893.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	1635170   Click image for larger version

Name:	Se37010.jpg
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	1635171  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15187.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	1635172   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55349.jpg
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	1635173  
Old 07-14-2011, 01:37 PM
ratshooter

I haven't been here in a while. I have been busy doing hail and wind claims for the storms that came through N TX around the middle of April and am just now getting finished.

I am proud this thread I started is still going and has had so many views. Maybe now I can get back to doing a little bit of flying. Maybe even build something. Anyway thank you all for your post and replies here. Thomas.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:07 PM
Avaiojet

I built a few Ares. I bashed one of them, Here's the photo, I believe it was taken in 1963?

No, that's not me as a youngster. Just a good friend. A friend we lost at age 18.

I have the plans and one last kit of the Ares. Yes, I bashed it and expect to build that twin boom model.

The workmanship of those models is incredable.

I do have a kit, looking for someone to build it.

Unfortunately, everytime I've sent a kit to someone to build, they keep it. Move, change their numbers, stuff like that.

Name:	Ay75372.jpg
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	1635582  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.