Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Sterling Model Plans

Old 08-10-2003, 01:47 PM
maineflyboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sterling Model Plans

Here is a mustang I bought with a Veco .61 and a perry carb. Does anyone know if this engine setup will run in an inverted configuration. I would really like to invert this engine and cover the top of the cowl. Any suggestions?? Also I was told this may be a Sterling Kit?? Can anyone confirm this. I can tell you the that fuse. is about 47 3/4" without the spinner. I haven't received the wing yet so I don't know the wing span.

Any information, or perhaps plans would be helpful.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100617_38493.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	57134  
Old 08-10-2003, 09:12 PM
GoldenAge

Hi,

When you get your wing and measure it, if it has a 66" span, then it is probably the Sterling 'Multi - R/C Mustang FS #10'.
I do not have a fuse length on my vintage 1975 Sterling kit list for this particular model.

As far as your engine setup question goes, I have run many OS engines inverted with no problem and your Veco should do ok. Just be careful not to flood the engine and try to put your electric starter to it, it could cause engine damage. Turn it over a few times by hand before you apply power to the glo plug to make sure the cylinder is clear.

I hope this helps,

Scott
Old 08-10-2003, 11:57 PM
oldsterling

Maybe you can gets the "specs" from "Marlin Man", as he has a Sterling P51 kit up for sale.
Old 08-12-2003, 10:09 AM
Mike Denest
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, that's a Sterling Mustang. I have one I picked up at a swap meet plus a kit. It was built stock right from the kit and never flown. I removed the Coverite and found the construction not to bad but I reglued all the joints with CA anyway. I'll post some pictures here as soon as possible. I plan to install a Supertigre .56 and Kraft radio. This model is eligible for VR/CS events.

Some flying tips. Keep the speed up as this model will drop like a brick as soon as you pull power. The flaps will really help in this area so use them. On landing approach, use the flaps and maintain speed with the engine. When you are just above the runway, cut power and it should settle in for a nice three pointer, just like the real thing.
Old 08-12-2003, 01:59 PM
maineflyboy

Default Stock or Modified

Did you modify yours to carry an inverted engine or did you just leave it stock. I am still contemplating which way to go..

Please excuse my limited knowledge of "VR/CS events" I am fairly new to the hobby. I picked up this model mostly to fly for fun and get a little experience in building, by reconditioning an existing plane. Thanks for the info....

I would love to see some pics of your model....
Old 08-12-2003, 03:25 PM
maineflyboy

Oh yea one more question?? Since you say you bought a kit, you probably have a set of plans for the kit?? Does it say on the kit where the CG is suppose to be?? Also I would be interested in maybe getting a copy of those plans. I haven't had much luck finding a set.. I'd be willing to pay for the shipping and copying services. Too bad I have the facilities right here at work to copy plans.
Old 08-12-2003, 03:34 PM
maineflyboy

Now before anyone goes off about copyright laws. I feel I own the model and the kit is no longer made. Its not like I can go down to my LHS and order a set.....
Old 08-13-2003, 04:45 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

maineflyboy:

You should have no trouble with the Veco running inverted, but there are two entirely different series Perry carbs that it could have.

But first, another question. Does it have the fuel pump built into the backplate?

Next, let's see which carb series you have. Looking down at the carb intake, from the prop end of the engine, you have the throttle lever on the left and the idle speed screw at the left rear, the idle mixture disc on the right, and the high speed needle extends out from the center of the disc. Now the key question. Is there another screw on the back edge, between the air intake and the mixture disc? If the screw is there you probably have the pump on the backplate also, as this marks the "Pump" carb. And the screw is an adjustment specifically for inverted engine operation.

If you don't have the scew adjust the carb as you would any other Perry carb, if you have the screw and no pump, leave the screw turned in all the way. If you have the screw and the pump come back and I'll tell you how to adjust the whole system, if you wish. Too long to post if you don't need it.

Finally, on the Veco engine itself. If you ever need parts, the K&B model #6550 engine parts will interchange, if you don't have the built-in pump. The pumped version is K&B's model #6560. Almost all parts are available, except the piston.

I still have one of the Vecos, it's almost like new. I also have a couple dozen of the K&B version. Like them very much, bulletproof engines.

Bill.
Old 08-13-2003, 07:17 PM
maineflyboy

I'll have to take a look at the carb when I get home tonight. Thanks I'll let yea know what I find out.
Old 08-13-2003, 07:19 PM
maineflyboy

Hey is there any of you out there in texas that want to track down a wing for me.... I bought the plane off ebay and it took exactly 30 days to get fuse, and 5 days later I still haven't received the wing....
Old 08-13-2003, 07:42 PM
William Robison

Default Perry Carb

Maine:

If I didn't make it clear, the attached picture has a light square where the screw will be on the pump carb.

I find i don't have a picture of the pump carb, if I did I'd post both for a better illustration.

HTH.

Bill.
Attached Images  
Old 08-13-2003, 11:52 PM
maineflyboy

I would say I don't have a pump carb. Cause the only screw I have is on the back left corner as shown in the picture.

Any tips on adjustments... I have no idea where to put the slow speed idle to start.... Is the high speed pretty much like any other carb?? Thanks for the info...

Maine.....You can't get there from here.... expect maybe by plane...
Old 08-14-2003, 01:50 AM
William Robison

maineflyboy:

In revese order, yes, the high speed needle is adjusted like any other model carb.

Initial setting on the idle speed is to let the throttle barrel shut completely, so you can stop the engine from your transmitter.

The idle disc has a notch in it, this should be aligned with the center mark on the carb body when you start. You do see the three marks on the carb body?

Set the high speed needle about 3 1/2 turns open - be careful feeling the shut position, don't force it - then with the throtltle about 1/4 open start the engine.

After it warms a bit slowly advance the throttle to full, and peak the high speed needle. No clicks rich from peak yet, leave it at the highest rpm you can get.

Slowly bring the engine speed back down, getting it to run as slowly as you can. Move the throttle trim all the way up, and see if you can bring the throttle stick all the way back. Then use the trim to bring it down as far as you can and have it stay running.

Pinch the fuel line after the engine sits at idle for a moment. It should speed up a bit, and then fall off. If it immediately falls off it's too lean. to richen the idle use a screwdriver that's a snug fit in the slot of the mixture disc and, looking from the left side of the plane, turn the disc counterclockwise about 1/2 the distance to the forward of the three marks, then try your pinch again.

If the engine had picked up a lot of rpm on the pinch you are too rich. In this case turn the disc about 1/2 way to the rear mark.

Once you have the engine just pick up a little bit before falling off with the pinch, go back to high speed, recheck the peak, and this time bring it back rich to where you would normally fly it.

Now back to idle for abot 30 seconds, and slam the engine to full throttle. If it immediately accellerates you're finished.

If it burbles a bit and then accellerates, it's too rich. Turn the disc clockwise 1/2 of one mark and retest.

If it sags before accellerating, or dies, it's too lean. This time turn the disc counterclockwise 1/2 mark and retry.

Always recheck the peak speed between adjustments of the disc.

And if this sounds just like adjusting a two needle carb, it is. But with the Perry carb the mixture disc, which takes the place of the idle needle, is more than ten times as sensitive.

This sensitivity is why some peo0le don't like them, they aren't willing to take the time to adjust them properly.

When you have the idle disc set right you should never have to readjust it again unless you make a major change somewhere.

But. Unless someone has taken it apart it should already be where it was when last flown - try it before you change anything.

HTH.

Bill.

PS I'm sure you can imagine how long this would be if we also had to adjust the pump pressure and the inverted regulator. wr.
Old 08-14-2003, 03:16 PM
maineflyboy

I just built a test stand for the engine. I might try and see If I can get the engine to fire up tonight... I'll try the tips you gave me. Thanks.

I'll let you know how it works.
Old 08-15-2003, 12:09 AM
maineflyboy

I could hardly believe it. I set the slot in the low speed idle to the center mark. I set the high speed idle out about 3 turns. Plugged in the glow starter, turned it over a few times with the electric starter and it fired right up. I only had to adjust the high speed idle a little bit richer and it ran like a top. I think this old engine runs twice as well as my newer ones....

Thanks for the tips. They seemed to be pretty accurate....
Old 08-15-2003, 12:11 AM
maineflyboy

Oh yea I did also start out with a new glow plug. I used a fox long plug with the idle bar. The old plug looked like it was a fox as well....
Old 08-15-2003, 02:22 AM
William Robison

maineflyboy:

Glad to be of help.

On a direct comparison you'll find an OS 60FX is more powerful, but given equal care your Veco will outlast four or five of the OS engines.

And you'll never find a better carb on a model engine than the Perry. Might pay more for one, but it wont be as good, much less the equal.

As much as I dislike approving anything that says Fox on it, the Veco/K&B 61s do like the Fox long idle bar plugs.

Take care of that engine, and your grandson's son will be able to put it on his new airplane, still running well.

Did I mention I like those engines?

Bill.