Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Fleet Brotherhood

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 12:52 PM
MikeGirdley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have any thoughts regarding the use of a B&B muffler on my Q-35? Any suggestions for a muffler to replace the "new" stock muffler on my "new" Q-35 that is going in my Concept Fleet ? I appreciate any advice or thoughts. New to quarter scale and gas engines.
Later,
Mike #31
Old 01-16-2018, 06:05 PM
Mein Duff

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike,
Not sure if a B&B muffler is a "Bennet" muffler...Bennets are not really mufflers IMO....just sound modifiers...still loud and nasty.
Don't have much experience with gas 2 strokes but generally, the larger the muffler with a baffle in it, the quieter it will be from what I've seen.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:01 AM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Kelo will do them and quality to boot.
And Jtecrc

www.jtecrc.com
Sparky
Old 01-22-2018, 01:02 PM
MikeGirdley

Thanks for the thoughts, guys.
Mike
Fleet Brotherhood #31
Old 02-17-2018, 12:50 PM
MikeGirdley

Another Question - I am currently fitting the firewall to the fuselage frame. Do I need the exhaust tunnel if I am using a Bennet muffler on my Q-35? I have the rest of the formers made and ready to install along with the fuselage stringers. I need to get out to the hangar and measure the baggage compartment on my Model 2 Fleet. Most folks either forget the baggage compartment or don't know there was one behind the rear cockpit. Thanks in advance.
Mike #31
Old 02-17-2018, 05:12 PM
retransit
My Feedback: (18)

Hey Sparky, your Fleet Brotherhood number is 16.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:47 PM
Mein Duff

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike, The Bennet muffler has two pipes I'm pretty certain pointing up or down depending on how you mounted the engine.
So if the pipes are hanging clear of the cowl and venting the exhaust gas, I don't see the need for an "exhaust tunnel" unless you are routing the exhaust extension through the firewall and exiting somewhere behind that ?
An "enclosed tunnel" is not necessary in any case...just make sure you have 1/4 inch space around the muffler and whatever exhaust extension you might have for cooling....the larger the space the better.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:07 AM
csandt051196
My Feedback: (35)

Hi Group,

I have started a build from as you expected a very old kit. I found this thread for anyone who might be starting their own build:

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php...comment-464550

Scott
Old 06-22-2018, 07:29 AM
althepal88
My Feedback: (31)

I would like to join the Group. I have the Fleet that Knucklebutt built in '04 and flew for years. It is an 84inch Fleet currently powered by a Quad 35. I have gone over the postings and still have questions to improve and update, what I will refer to as Knucklebutt. I put one flight on it last month, noted some things that still need to be addressed and started work on it again. My FlyBuddy gave me a NIB OS 5 banger (300) that we have decided to mount. I have a lot of questions about mounting the cowl and anything else that the experienced flyers can pass on. My motor-guy is going to go thru and start and tune the OS as it has been in the box since '89 and never run. It does not have a ring exhaust, just the stacks. I am about to order a McDaniels remote glow. Any other suggestions will be surely appreciated.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:20 AM
Kinner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fleet

Fiberglass Specialties might still stock a fiberglass cowl. I have one on each 1/4 and my 1/3 scale fleet. Some fitting would be in order but lot easier than carving.

Fiberglass Specialties Inc Catalog

Under cowls for kits looking at Concept

Good flying.

Ray W.

Last edited by Kinner; 06-22-2018 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 06-22-2018, 01:01 PM
retransit
My Feedback: (18)

Al, welcome to the Brotherhood and you are #32.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:27 AM
althepal88

Yes, FiberglasSpecialties still has the cowl available. The current cowl fits so nice (wood) that I was wondering about using the rear half and adding the fiberglass front somehow. Is everyone using the radial making it a two piece unit? I still have to fill in an area where the lowest mounting bolt will go, as it was carved out for the Quad muffler.
Old 06-24-2018, 10:59 AM
Kinner

Most doable. I've attached a pix of a real Fleet cowl and shows the dome cutouts for cylinders and attached behind the cylinders. Hope this helps. Great idea, I wish I'd thought of it before I cut mine up.

Ray W.

Last edited by Kinner; 06-24-2018 at 11:02 AM. Reason: added photo
Old 07-23-2018, 03:43 PM
althepal88

Well, I have the OS 5 banger mounted temporarily. I fabricated an aluminum plate to mount the OS to, then thru the stock firewall. Still have to do a little more work on the upper mounting bolts. Geez that thing is heavy. Does anyone know what the CG is supposed to be? Just want to get it ballpark right now. I have the FS cowl, the SonicTronics glow system and 5000 mha battery. The FS cowl is a little longer than the stock cowl, so I will use that. I will keep the stock wood carved cowl and the Q35 w/B&B muffler in a separate box, just in case.
Old 08-23-2018, 05:06 AM
Chrisvn

Default Landing gear length

Hi all
I am new to the forum but not to RC flying and building .... Potchefstroom - South Africa.

I obtained a old 1/4 scale Fleet kit here in South Africa that my son and myself want to build. We have an ASP 5 cylinder radial to fit ....
Unfortunately the landing gear wires is gone ! ... not a problem... will it be possible to post the length of the front and back wire from the fuselage to the inside of the wheel hub ?

We have worked through the instructions and checked all the parts, so we are ready to go ....
This thread has given us a lot of ideas ito changes that we will apply as we build.

thanks Chris

Last edited by Chrisvn; 08-23-2018 at 05:09 AM.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:47 AM
Kinner

I will offer my LG wire build up from a repair/replace the main gear assembly from a crash. 3/16 Piano wire steel with soldered wire wrapping is the norm. I brazed mine and is just as strong. I've some pix. The gear consist of 4 pieces. Main strut that has the axle, a drag strut that holds fast the angled main strut. On the front main strut are two smaller units that offer control of spreading while the craft is landing or taxi.

Soldering with wire wrap can eliminate the need to retemper .

After fuselage construction, I took dimensions from the hard wood gear bearers and created a jig so as the duplicate the attachment points for a sure fitting landing gear. Same procedure I used when I built my 3rd scale Fleet.

I hope this helps.

Ray W.

Last edited by Kinner; 08-23-2018 at 06:51 AM.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:59 AM
Kinner

Added: the large fuse cutout aft of the gear attach point is my modification to a one piece lower wing and will not reflect the plans you have.
Additionally, each wing rib is in 3 pieces and can get miss aligned as happened to me with a case of late night blurry eyes. I'd suggest making a one piece rib collection. My 3rd scale Fleet has the same technique on the built up spares but I had one piece ribs cut by a kit cutter. Saved a lot of time and vocabulary.

Ray W.
Old 08-24-2018, 06:38 AM
Chrisvn

Hi Ray W

What is the length of the main strut from the bottom of the fuselage down to the axle angle ?

Chris
Old 08-24-2018, 06:58 AM
Kinner

9.5 US inches. Angles can be had by the front view on the plans if I remember.

Ray W.
Old 08-24-2018, 06:00 PM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Ray,
Is that the Enya 240 installed? I have one and was trying to figure out a plane to put it in.
What is the performance you are getting with this motor in the plane is it about right or over or under powered?
Sparky
Old 08-24-2018, 09:17 PM
Chrisvn

Originally Posted by Kinner
Added: the large fuse cutout aft of the gear attach point is my modification to a one piece lower wing and will not reflect the plans you have.
Additionally, each wing rib is in 3 pieces and can get miss aligned as happened to me with a case of late night blurry eyes. I'd suggest making a one piece rib collection. My 3rd scale Fleet has the same technique on the built up spares but I had one piece ribs cut by a kit cutter. Saved a lot of time and vocabulary.

Ray W.
Thanks for the measurment ....

Can you post a pic of the mid section of the wing and the cutout on the fuse from below the fuse ? .... did you discuss it in another thread on RCU ?

Chris

Old 08-25-2018, 12:28 PM
Kinner

Elmshoot. Yes , Enya 2.40 twin. Each cylinder has it's own carb. POWERHOUSE. I ran it with a 20-8 or maybe 20-6 and it towed a long banner with ease. Trigger off the banner and it shot ahead noticeably. I had it overhauled by a fella up North and have yet to get any serious runs. My figuring is I put a new tank with too small a pickup tube thus it starves when 2/3 to open throttle. I've had other fellas tell me they ran each carb/cyl from different tanks. Logical but complications with installing them.

Engine has no choke so starting largely done with electric starter. Before the crash, I had a remote battery plug that worked just fine. After rebuild , I got fancy and put on an onboard glow switched thru the gear retract.

I flew this beauty for near 15 years with the VT 240 and once I learned the engine set up, It seldom let me down. Even with one cylinder out, a return to base can be accomplished.
Old 08-25-2018, 12:33 PM
Kinner

Chris

Hope these help. I kept the wing spar blades and incorperated them in the new center section. Thus, if it crashes again, the weak link fracture point is those blades. I never liked those but they save the wing sections from piles of damage. Inside the center wing box is a servo to jettison the banner when towed.

Old 08-25-2018, 12:42 PM
Kinner

Old 08-25-2018, 12:48 PM
Kinner

More..

I forgot to include that the bottom wing is held to the fuse with nylon wing attach bolts. Dowls lock the forward part, top locators prevent wing shift and adds to the alignment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.