Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Andews Aeromaster help please

Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Andews Aeromaster help please

Old 09-23-2012, 02:28 PM
Wagon1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Andews Aeromaster help please

My brother built an Aeromaster in the early 70's. It flew a few times and has spent the last 40 years or so in a few attics. I'd really love to get her in the air, but need some help. I'm not sure I'm pilot enough for it yet.....but hey....it's my big brothers. I can wreck it.

Can anyone tell me were the CG is?

I was thinking of trying to find a .60. Big enough?

My brother used one servo for the ailerons. The setup is goofy and broken. I'd like to put a servo in each wing. How small can I go?

The hinges are pinned and seem tight to the tug. Will they be okay?

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum, but I appreciate any input you guys can offer.

Thanks!!

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23294.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	1804176  
Old 09-23-2012, 03:27 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Andews Aeromaster help please

Mike, if no one knows, use this website to locate the CG of each wing. Use 30% for the percent MAC. Put the CG for the plane in between the CG for each wing. A 50 ounce/inch servo would be enough for each aileron and if you want to use a servo on each elevator, the 50 ounce one would be OK there too. It would be tough to rehinge the surfaces. If they feel good now give it a try but monitor them closely. It may be necessary eventually. I think it was designed for a .60. Maybe someone else knows. That's a great flying model from the good old days. Getting it airborne again would be a nice accomplishment. Dan.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:05 PM
pd1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With both wings swept back as yours is, you can put the CG as far back as the rear vertical cabane.
The plans call for it to be about a half inch forward of the rear cabane.

You can download the plan from here free.
http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=1971

The belcrank system of one servo for both ailerons works well if done correctly.
I have one with a Spektrum DS 821 servo driving the two ailerons. Works fine.

I also built one with two servos buried in the wing so each aileron had it's own servo.
I used Futaba 3004 servos for that. personally, I wouldn't go smaller on the servo, but that is just me.

The Aero is pretty fast and the one I built for a friend has an OS 95 in it.
I would not have recommended that engine, but after seeing it fly, I'm a believer. it's a good combination.

First picture is the one with the two servos buried in the wing.
The servos are attached to a 1/16 ply plate and held in with screws.

The second picture is the one with belcranks and a single servo.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77226.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	1804198   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql35505.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	1804199  
Old 11-04-2012, 05:20 PM
Wagon1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys! Flew her today. I over controlled her on the runway on the first flight and broke the prop and bent the gear (actaully...it wasn't a "fligt" so much as a really bad taxi and take off attempt).Once I got her figured out and got help she flew great. Really great airplane......