Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Antique Model Engine Identification

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Antique Model Engine Identification

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 03:31 PM
juggler-3310

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antique Model Engine Identification

I recently purchased several antique engines along with a lot of other R/C equipment. Several of the pieces that I purchased are shown in the attached photographs. The Allyn Sea Fury was fairly easy to identify since the markings appear on the engine. The Super Tigre marine engine is a little puzzling to me. I can't seem to locate any information on it at all. I believe that it is supposed to be mated with the rudder assembly that is shown. It certainly couples to it properly. But the engine that really has me stumped is the last one. It has no markings on it at all. No numbers are on it, no indication of who may have produced it. Can anyone here provide me with any information on this engine at all? Any insight that you could provide would be appreciated. Any idea what any of them might be worth? Thank you.

juggler
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46185.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	1818426   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb87802.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	1818427   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51040.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	1818428   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ys48741.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	1818429   Click image for larger version

Name:	Iu11510.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	1818430  
Old 11-07-2012, 04:06 PM
beppeVRCS

Default RE: Antique Model Engine Identification

Juggler, the Supertigre engine is a G-15 (evolution of the G20/15), and i do not see anything strange in it, apart from the new head, especially made for cooling during the marine use (instead of a water cooled head). The last engine is a COX Queen Bee, .074cu.inc. displacement, with a home made silencer (very well made...).
Ciao
Beppe
Old 11-07-2012, 05:58 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, a Queen Bee.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:01 PM
juggler-3310

What I find strange about the Super Tigre marine engine is that I couldn't find any information on it at all when I searched the internet. Nothing. Yes, I can find some limited infor about the regulat G15, but not on the marine version that was offered.

Thanks for the identification of the Queen Bee. Any idea what any of these engines are worth? I've browsed through Ebay, and the prices are surprisingly high there. I suspect that they are somewhat lower if you sell through RCUniverse's classifieds, or through Craigslist.

juggler
Old 11-07-2012, 09:20 PM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You might be suprised at what that K&B/Allen outboard engine is worth. A product of the early 50's and an outboard engine to boot. They historically command good prices
Dennis
Old 11-13-2012, 04:56 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

juggler-3310: What I find strange about the Super Tigre marine engine is that I couldn't find any information on it at all when I searched the internet. Nothing. Yes, I can find some limited infor about the regulat G15, but not on the marine version that was offered. Thanks for the identification of the Queen Bee. Any idea what any of these engines are worth? I've browsed through Ebay, and the prices are surprisingly high there. I suspect that they are somewhat lower if you sell through RCUniverse's classifieds, or through Craigslist.
The Super Tigre is fairly rare, ought to fetch a pretty penny. The .074 Queen Bee by Cox was a disappointment. It came out some time in the late 1980's I believe. I bought one. It is heavy, uses a reed valve, according to others produces the power of a .049 Tee Dee. It is the Edsel of Cox. I did not understand why they didn't make it a rotary valve engine with the power expected of .074. It IMO did not sell well. Others such as Norvel and Thunder Tiger came up with their versions of the .07 which did run well.

I wanted to add, didn't also understand why they didn't come up with something lighter and cheaper say, with reasonably efficient exhaust restrictor muffler, shorter crankcase and reed mount venturi with rear mount fitting the Cox .049 bolt pattern. Lighter weight and more powerful would make a decent upgrade to a .049 reedy.