Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

the Real Thing

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 12:00 PM
Brian C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the Real Thing

I was noticing that Hobby People have produced an arf of the 70's kit "the Real Thing". Does anyone remember this plane? I know that RCM had two build articles, one for the Real Thing in it's orginal design and then another in the 80's called the Real Thing Mock Too. Anyone know the difference between the original and the Mock Too? IIRC didn't the original design have a pivioting main wing for pitch control or am I thinking of something else? Just wondered if anyone out there had any history with this odd bird.

Brian C
Old 11-29-2012, 03:23 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: the Real Thing

This may help. dan.
https://www.rcmplans.com/index.php?m...ord=real+thing
Old 11-29-2012, 05:44 PM
Mooney_driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: the Real Thing

ORIGINAL: Brian C

I was noticing that Hobby People have produced an arf of the 70's kit "the Real Thing". Does anyone remember this plane? I know that RCM had two build articles, one for the Real Thing in it's orginal design and then another in the 80's called the Real Thing Mock Too. Anyone know the difference between the original and the Mock Too? IIRC didn't the original design have a pivioting main wing for pitch control or am I thinking of something else? Just wondered if anyone out there had any history with this odd bird.
Take a look at this thread:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=11308356

I am not sure what the difference is between the Real Thing and the Real Thing Mock Too other than the latter has a slightly shorter wing but more area. Ihave one of the original Hobby Shack (now Hobby People) kits that Ibuilt about 1976 or so. There was no pivoting wing. It is a parasol wing though. Iended up crunching mine so Iused a wing from another plane. Ialso have an Enya .09 controlline engine on it. It was an easy plane to build and quite simple. The landing gear does not work very well from grass though and the above mentioned thread has a couple that changed out the axle landing gear to something that will work from grass, otherwise you have to hand launch it. It was not a bad flyer but the plane is more of a novelty and just a simple Sunday Flyer type plane and is/was 3 channel (or in my case, 2 channel).

The above thread also talks a little bit about the Hobby People Arf that the recently announced and linked it to:
http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...price&dir=desc

in either a leckie or slimer (but without either one).

It was a fun plane though.