Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Ryan STA/STM Brotherhood

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Ryan STA/STM Brotherhood

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 09:57 AM
Flyrc67

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys for the responses . VJ I did know that the ST-A build thread was yours, I read most of it and it is truly a master class effort on your part. Wish I had you building skills. I'm not sure about the Sig kit as I had read some mixed reviews about how it flies. The 1/4 scale version is supposed to be a great flier according to what I've read. Also, I believe the sig kit is a 1 piece wing and I would like the 3 piece where the LG remains on the fuselage.

Dave, thanks for the heads up, but I'll pass on the Byron version for now.

Are there other plans to consider?

Thx again.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:44 AM
VincentJ

Received 118 Likes on 107 Posts

Yes there are plans Flyrc, I just have to do some digging as to where I saw them, it's been awhile since I built the Ryan. I'll get back to you...
Old 06-29-2017, 06:35 PM
N99JH
My Feedback: (66)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Bernis Fields 1/4 scale version which is a great true to scale design is also offered on ebay as a blown up 1/3 scale version. That will be the ultimate Ryan ST.
Old 06-30-2017, 06:09 AM
Flyrc67

Thanks N99JH. Does anyone here have experience with building and flying the Bernis Fields 1/4 scale design? Haven't been able to find much on it.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:52 PM
N99JH

Originally Posted by Flyrc67
Thanks N99JH. Does anyone here have experience with building and flying the Bernis Fields 1/4 scale design? Haven't been able to find much on it.
I have the plans and they are excellent. If you have experience in scratch building you should have no problems.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:42 AM
Flyrc67

Thanks N99JH for the response. Have you built one from them? Also, do you know if any fibreglass parts are available for it and if the Robart struts used on the Great Planes and Sig versions will work on it? Appreciate it.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:39 AM
N99JH

My plans are for the enlarged 1/3 scale and I have not built it yet although it is pretty high on my "To Do" list. There are no fiberglass parts and none are needed. The cowl and wheel pants are carved from balsa the traditional way. The landing gear is the only challenging part for a scratch builder, and, with access to basic tools, or - better yet, milling machine and a lathe, can be rather easy to make. Another solution may be adapting a Sierra gear from a Gee Bee or ordering a scaled up version of Robart's gear for the Great Planes Ryan. If you are interested in Bernis Fields plans, investing in a set would be a smart choice.

Ryan STA - 1/4 scale
Giant 1/4 Scale RYAN STA 2 Seater scratch build R/c Plane Plans 90 in wing span | eBay
Click image for larger version

Name:	X05861-Ryan-STA.pdf
Views:	101
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	2222550
Ryan STA - Giant Scale - RC Planes - Plans - Air Age Store
Old 07-01-2017, 11:12 AM
Flyrc67

Thanks again N99JH for the response and the attachments........great info. I think I'll order a set of plans for the 1/4 scale one for further review. I never made a cowl or wheel pants but there is a lot of information in the building threads on the various groups to fall back on if I should need it. Once again, appreciate the support.
Old 07-01-2017, 11:34 AM
N99JH

Making cowls and wheel pants from balsa is easy albeit time consuming but definitely not nearly as "scary" as it sounds. I will be more than happy to help you along building the model. I am on Skype and should you want to - we can talk at will and discuss building techniques.
Josh Harel
Old 07-01-2017, 12:18 PM
Flyrc67

Thanks again Josh, and I appreciate the offer to help once I get into the building process with this model.
Old 07-03-2017, 02:21 PM
Flyrc67

For those of you that have the Phoenix Ryan STA, I was wondering how well that model has held up , especially if you have been flying a gasser. Also, how has the landing gear struts worked out. Is it possible to use Robart oleo struts on it? Thanks.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:00 AM
CF105

Last summer, I suffered a “brain failure” while flying my RC Guys Ryan STA. Was doing some nice easy low passes... one was so low & slow I decided to making it a landing. Bad call! Did a 3-pointer with the nose being point 1. No structural damage to the plane, but made a mess of the cowl & wheel pants... and bent one of the wire gear legs.

Took me till a couple of weeks ago to get her airworthy again (too many projects!). New fibreglass parts and replaced the wire gear legs with Robart oleo struts. Highly recommend that mod, makes installing the pants & gear much easier!

Got her back in the air the weekend before last, for one flight. The Rimfire 65cc was turning a 22x10 prop. Nice, relaxing flight but definitely not enough to try any aerobatics. Landed after 5 minutes; the 12s5300 batteries were at 65%.

This past Saturday I took her out again. Swapped out the previous prop for a 22x12 (these seem darned hard to find!). Much better! Only tried an aileron roll, but it handled it beautifully. At about the 5 minute mark I decided to bring her in. However my depth perception failed me and her left wing tip clipped a tree, about 10’ off the ground. A buddy commented that it was “the most gentle ‘crash’”he’d even seen. The wingtip has a cosmetic ding, some landing/flying wires parted, and the motor mount needed repair. The cowl suffered damage as well, but is serviceable.

She’s now almost fully repaired and will fly again this weekend if weather permits! As for that tree... I’m thinking “chainsaw”...
Old 10-10-2017, 09:04 AM
VincentJ

Sorry to hear about your mishaps...as far as the tree goes blame it on those pesky beavers.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:33 AM
Prairie Mike

Originally Posted by CF105
Last summer, I suffered a “brain failure” while flying my RC Guys Ryan STA. Was doing some nice easy low passes... one was so low & slow I decided to making it a landing. Bad call! Did a 3-pointer with the nose being point 1. No structural damage to the plane, but made a mess of the cowl & wheel pants... and bent one of the wire gear legs.

Took me till a couple of weeks ago to get her airworthy again (too many projects!). New fibreglass parts and replaced the wire gear legs with Robart oleo struts. Highly recommend that mod, makes installing the pants & gear much easier!

Got her back in the air the weekend before last, for one flight. The Rimfire 65cc was turning a 22x10 prop. Nice, relaxing flight but definitely not enough to try any aerobatics. Landed after 5 minutes; the 12s5300 batteries were at 65%.

This past Saturday I took her out again. Swapped out the previous prop for a 22x12 (these seem darned hard to find!). Much better! Only tried an aileron roll, but it handled it beautifully. At about the 5 minute mark I decided to bring her in. However my depth perception failed me and her left wing tip clipped a tree, about 10’ off the ground. A buddy commented that it was “the most gentle ‘crash’”he’d even seen. The wingtip has a cosmetic ding, some landing/flying wires parted, and the motor mount needed repair. The cowl suffered damage as well, but is serviceable.

She’s now almost fully repaired and will fly again this weekend if weather permits! As for that tree... I’m thinking “chainsaw”...
Justifiable homicide. Trees are nasty plane & kite eating & a crop like wheat

Been there – done it. Tree no longer a menace
Old 10-10-2017, 09:36 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

The only good tree is a Balsa tree!
Old 10-10-2017, 10:46 AM
VincentJ

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
The only good tree is a Balsa tree!
Good one Mike...
Old 10-10-2017, 03:01 PM
CF105

Even then... that Balsa tree isn't much good till it's cut down & cut up

I will say, the Ryan really is a joy to fly. It's my first GS plane, and one of the few non-warbirds I've had. The size has been a bit intimidating, so I haven't explored its limits at all. But it's smooth & graceful in the air, and (when the flora doesn't interfere) easy to land. With that 3-piece wing, I can fit it and a 60-size plane in my Terrain fairly comfortably. If anyone's been on the fence about getting the RC Guys ARF... I'd say go for it - but spring for the Robart struts.
Old 08-30-2018, 02:32 AM
argyris

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello !Here is my new build episodes about my RYAN SCW in 1/4 scale.

Last edited by argyris; 08-30-2018 at 02:36 AM.
Old 08-30-2018, 03:42 AM
VincentJ

Very impressive, and quite the task to document it all on video! Well done...
Old 08-30-2018, 05:52 AM
FlyerInOKC

Argyris, we are kindered spirits my friend! I thought I was the only one with a love affair with this airplane. Are you using the old Jim Pepino Mammoth scale plans for your airplane? I am working on one based on Dick Katz's 84 1/2" wingspan bird. I noticed you have been using pictures of NC18914 Russell's bird, are you aware that neither his airplane or the prototype NC17372 (Sitting in the EAA Museum at Oshkosh) did not have the retracting landing light Paul Manz showed on his three views? I haven't seen a SC-W that actually had them. Also the "Firestone" lettering on Russell's airplane was something he added later on. He discovered his airplane was once own by Firestone so he added it. When the airplane was built the instrument panel and lighting package was specified by the buyer and ws built custom so no two airplanes were exactly alike. I am planning on building a pair, one will be the SC-W like you are building the second on will be the SC-M prototype. The bent wing fairing were the wing meets the fuselage was added to the production model so the SC-M will be different in that area as well as the in line engine cowling. Here are a few photos of my project. Its on hold at the moment. The instrument panels have already been made and the last photo you may find handy. It's the only surviving manufacturer's serial number plate for the Ryan SC-W. It belongs to the SC-W sold a few years back to a collector pilot in Australia.

Old 08-30-2018, 06:14 AM
VincentJ

Haha, Flyer I knew it wouldn't take long for you to drool and respond to that post!
Old 08-30-2018, 06:33 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by VincentJ
Haha, Flyer I knew it wouldn't take long for you to drool and respond to that post!
You know me too well Vince! I also downloaded his YouTube videos of the project.

Mike
Old 08-30-2018, 11:43 AM
argyris

Dear Flyer yes!The same amazing beautyfull spirit! The Ryan spirit!!!What a shape!!! I'm in love! hahahaha.I have used some notes from mammuth plans , but mostly from Pual Matt three views!Mammuth has a lot of mistakes.Yes they have a lot of differences all the SC-Ws.I know about the retracting light that there isn't on Russels SCW.....BUT is so nice that i decide to build it with this!I hope one day Russell add also to help me to be scale! xaxaxaxaxaxa. Its great to see also someone who build the Ryan! It's so difficult airframe to build it scale!The very long tail is big problem for CG.!!! I start it before 7 months and i hope to finished maybe at 5 months from now.
You have made an amazing instrument panel!!! WOW ! is it scratch build? Sooooo nice man!!!!!!!!!!!
I have a lot of tons of nice detailed photos from real Ryan SC-W !!I send you!
Do you have facebook?Before two days Russell williams had an emergency situation and he had an engine failure and an emergency landing. Landed on Wyoming Hwy 59 without incident or injury, about 19 miles northeast of Gillette. Engine was running but shaking badly and not enough power to remain in the air. No airframe damage.

https://www.facebook.com/rwflyer/videos/10160838316795092/?hc_ref=ARS-G-3_mJrVkWgQaF_s2987Kfl_nU-QdHPssh8AVKYI5L0SY1bIyYPAdb62DEXt_Qc&__xts__[0]=68.ARAcBsWYUxsmUS2Dqjo2ZXtkROH655Na-ZS8BGiSy9hSMKlnlZ49zZCZy5F2h6m--a0hrh9KOcFrkph2bP_jZpyxxtlDGr32zdpMOW8NsexIjzXfA-UX8P5s-V8ahLF6lHUEQv8&__tn__=FC-R&fb_dtsg_ag=Adz2t5vK7_I4eD_lHzbGEHibINIRobLy7d455y2 zd-1b2A%3AAdxLAWqUlT443JpsEvROGuranxoD23pJmCePyOD9G8X CKg
Old 08-30-2018, 11:52 AM
argyris

Old 08-30-2018, 11:59 AM
FlyerInOKC

I can't take credit for making the panel. I provided the photos and a detailed layout for the instruments and a architectural model maker created it for me. I had him make two. The apron below the panel to hide the fuel tank is a separate piece as is the fuel control valves. He made a pair for me since I have two airplanes to build. I have been trying to talk him into a panel for a Globe Swift but he is too busy. I'm not on Face book so I hadn't seen the video. Was that a motorcycle trailer he had the tail wheel on so he could tow it?

Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.