Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Ryan STA/STM Brotherhood

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Ryan STA/STM Brotherhood

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2021, 07:26 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts
Default It was a Fine and Pleasant Misery

So yesterday I actually got some time to work on the Ryan and to quote the title of one of outdoor writer Pat McManus "It was a Fine and Pleasant Misery"! Let's see, I discovered F-13 former was missing the slots for the building crutch so I cut those. Next since it was going to be difficult to do so after gluing it in I decided to build the tail wheel assembly. First I couldn't find any 4-40 machine screw the correct length, nextI discoverd I didn't have any 4-40 blind nuts or self locking nuts, just standard nuts. The I blew an hour finding the correct control arm that would allow me to cut it down and still drill a hole for the clevis. Then I discovered I had no 5/32" piano wire so that shot down making that assembly. Next I decided to go ahead in glue a few fuselage formers only to discover F-12 had a crutch slot on one side that was only 1/2 the proper length. Next I broke 3 balsa formers in half trying to get them installed. I finally determined I needed to add a piece of balsa the same dimensions of the crutch material to one side of each former between the building crutch slots. I got about 4 of them glued up and the formers reassembled before it was time to clean up for the night. I shot down a whole afternoon and got about of 45 minutes of worthwhile building time in. Like I said "It was a Fine and Pleasant Misery"! (Sigh) Some days are just not worth chewing your way thru the straps! Name:  biggrin.gif
Views: 297
Size:  1.0 KB

Old 04-22-2021, 03:22 AM
jymster
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Hi James, I'm not certain I understand what I should look for so I took a few pictures an different angles. If you need an additional view just name it. Looking at them they remind me of a pair of little boots.

Mike
Hi Mike, I finally got a chance to take some photos of my Ryan spats from FS to show you what I mean about them being "handed". Essentially the spat should be symmetrical about a vertical plane, when looking from the front or rear of the spat. However, they are not symmetrical and have a different shape to the bulge on each side of the spat. As both spats are from the same mould it means they are essentially now "handed" as they are not a mirror of each other, but instead are the same non-symmetrical shape translated across. Does that make sense?

Old 04-22-2021, 04:05 AM
FlyerInOKC

I see what you mean they are a little lopsided.
Old 06-03-2021, 07:19 AM
FlyerInOKC

I continue to work on the Ryan SC here is the fuselage in progress. Once all the formers are in place I can start the planking job to form the fuselage skin. First I have decided to drill the firewall and station 2 so the firewall is held by 6-32 screws and blindnuts at 6 points rather than glue it in place. This will allow better access to the compartments for the tank and battery. The tail wheel assembly was made in advance because once glued in place it cannot be accessed. The planking will need to be paused at some point to install the vertical stabilizer and concealed flexible pushrod for the elevator. The horizontal stabilizer mounts inside/thru the vertical fin and the pushrod must pass thru the vertical stab to reach the elevator. Just one of the joys of scale building!

Old 09-04-2022, 04:23 AM
chandley43231
My Feedback: (2)

have a 92" ws ryan sta who built that size plan company wise ?? i need a cowl for it

Old 11-03-2022, 03:03 PM
thefastfred

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SO ..

I picked up an STA-ARF used, Tower Hobbies 70" version. This plane was used, in great shape and had been flown... Some rash, but clean and happily purchased from a very nice gentlemen in central Florida. I flew it once and so it sits in the hanger. Shes a bit of an evil bird, not badly mannorred full of fuel, but 2/3's empty and she's and evil ^^*(%#^%@ at landing.... a tail happy nasty thing. I could have brought her in a bit faster... (did on the second flight) but once down she tried(s) to nose over.. a little up and she launched right back in the air... at stall speed. Almost tumbled the girl. SO!

I'm going to move the tank over the CG and servos up front to try and keep it light. Any suggestions from the Fan base before surgery!! Thanks in advance for your thoughts and expertise.
Old 01-14-2023, 05:38 AM
chandley43231
My Feedback: (2)

ok guys have a 92" Ryan sta can't find the kit builder it has a one piece wing and the tail wheel is per say connected to the rudder internally its a white black an red and it used to have a super tiger glow 3000 in it just trying to find the builder brand its about 15-20 years old and the pants and cowl have the green gel fiberglass in it if that helps yes please help
Old 01-14-2023, 06:44 PM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Byron Originals used polyester resin from United States Steel Corporation. They add a green dye to the resin as their personal touch, or trademark. I don't remember all of the Byron's kits, but I think they had an STA in their lineup?