Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Was the Lanzo Bomber

Old 02-24-2013, 06:31 PM
Ed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Was the Lanzo Bomber

Was the Lanzo Bomber the winningest, and most efficent free flight model of all time ? I have the plans, and i'm getting the urge to start building it. Please let me hear about your experiences with this old timer.

Ed
Old 02-24-2013, 08:50 PM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Was the Lanzo Bomber

As far as SAM competition goes it out did most every thing. As far as the most efficent I have built several that I thought were just as good such as the Playboys, Buzzard Bombshell, Zipper, Sailplane,Powerhouse & the Pacers. All were hard to beat in their classes on any given day with good weather conditions & luck. I like the Powerhouses (built 14 for myself & others). All fun planes. Max Hansen AMA 14958
Old 02-25-2013, 09:31 AM
otrcman

Funny you should ask.

The Lanzo Bomber is sort of a mystery to me. The modern SAM R/C fliers do very well with Bombers. But for some reason the modern SAM free flighters have never really gone for the Bomber. Why ? I have no idea.

But, you ask whether the Bomber was the most winningest, most efficient free flight model of all time. Strangely, one never sees any mention of the Bomber in contemporary (1930's & '40's) magazines. Lanzo was a highly competitive flier in the late 1930's, but I've never seen mention of a Bomber winning a contest or a picture of him with a Bomber in one of the old magazines. Either the Bomber just wasn't any good in free flight or else it didn't exist in it's current form back then. You'd have to ask some real free flight guys if there is some reason why Bombers aren't suitable for free flight.

The other possibility, that it didn't exist in its current form back then, is a subject that is debated in some circles. There weren't any contemporary published plans or kits. The plans that people are using today were drawn by Lanzo in about 1970, presumably from memory. My view is that the design has no features that COULDN'T have existed in 1937, but it represents an extraordinary collection of the very best features from that period. Draw your own conclusions.

Dick Fischer
Old 02-25-2013, 01:59 PM
Strat2003
My Feedback: (1)

It has been explained to me that the Bomber isn't a particularly good free flight for SAM competition because scaling is not allowed on the free flight side and the original Bomber was a very large airplane. For R/C, scaling is allowed. I've had success with both C Glow and A Glow Bombers and they do tend to be the most commonly seen designs at the top of the standings. They do well when over powered.
I've flown both Bombers and Playboys in SAM R/C competition and, while I love the look of the Playboy I think the Bomber has a slight edge in performance and handling.
Scott
Old 02-25-2013, 06:13 PM
Ed

Gentlemen, thank you kindly for your inputs. Your words have inspired me to actually begin construction today. It is only the scaled down 440 version by Jim O'Reilly plans, but it brings back memories of my childhood, and will only be flown for sport using an electric motor, and R/C.

I enjoyed your comments, and any additional remarks would be greatly welcomed. Perhaps even someone here might have had experience with the 440 version ? ? ?

Ed
Old 02-25-2013, 08:54 PM
otrcman

ORIGINAL: Strat2003

It has been explained to me that the Bomber isn't a particularly good free flight for SAM competition because scaling is not allowed on the free flight side and the original Bomber was a very large airplane. For R/C, scaling is allowed. I've had success with both C Glow and A Glow Bombers and they do tend to be the most commonly seen designs at the top of the standings. They do well when over powered.
I've flown both Bombers and Playboys in SAM R/C competition and, while I love the look of the Playboy I think the Bomber has a slight edge in performance and handling.
Scott

That's the best explanation that I've heard for the Bomber not being popular among free flighters. And perhaps also an explanation for why it didn't show up much in the 1930's. Not many people would have had a car big enough to carry an 8 foot wing.

Dick
Old 02-26-2013, 04:55 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Is there a source for a full-sized Lanzo Bomber plans and short kit, and perhaps a source for the original build article (if there ever was one?)

Thanks,

Bob
Old 02-26-2013, 07:02 PM
Ed

I have been studying my plans for the Jim Reilly Bomber, and no where can I find a recommended wing incidence. Can anyone tell me the angular difference between the Stab, and the wing ? I know that they were designed to climb, but the wing angle of attack on the plans looks quite severe.

ed
Old 02-26-2013, 07:10 PM
otrcman

ORIGINAL: N1EDM

Is there a source for a full-sized Lanzo Bomber plans and short kit, and perhaps a source for the original build article (if there ever was one?)

Thanks,

Bob

There may be others, but I've had good luck with Bob Holman Plans. Bob has both the plan and a laser cut kit.

Dick
Old 02-27-2013, 05:34 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks, Dick. I'll take a look there...

Bob