Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Internet killed old style model magazines?

Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Internet killed old style model magazines?

Old 06-13-2013, 03:08 PM
SGibson
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Internet killed old style model magazines?

I started the thread about old magazines compared to the current crop. I am not an expert on this new subject but I believe the internet killed the old style model magazines. Since most of the model suppliers are mom and pop type operations, these small operations probably found they could get as much or more exposure by advertising on the internet. Remember when RC Modeler was over 100 + pages and those pages had tons of advertising? My guess is mom and pop could have a multipage website that could be updated easily and frequently instead of advertising in the model magazines that had long lead times. A small cheap ad in a magazine directing a modeler to a website was more efficient.
Instead of magazines, now we have websites that have multiple forums on different subjects. I ignore many of the forums and most of the advertising too, but almost every day I check my favorite websites for new posts and updated information on old posts. Unfortunately these websites don't have editors that filter and refine the information.
I don't believe the old magazines were better than the new internet delivery system but I sure miss sitting down in the evening with my new RC Modeler or Model Airplane news magazine.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:18 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Default RE: Internet killed old style model magazines?

As a person who used to build / sell model electronic accessories, word of mouth was what worked for me. I had a little blurb in "new products" once in a model mag, it really didn't generate much in the way of interest.

I think what's killed the "old style" model mags is more the "video game" syndrome. Kids are used to instant gratification, rather than learning a nice relaxing hobby. It also seems kids are always being run from one place to another, doing team sports, in every season of the year - baseball, football, soccer, tennis, etc.. that, and filling what time is left with video games and TV.

Hence the "ARF" culture - buy & fly. Not too many people setting down with something that requires time and patience, such as crafting a kit-built or scratch-built plane. Manufacturers noted this - their kit sales were dwindling, and the ARF sales increasing, so guess where their efforts lie? They're in the business to make money, and they have to build what people are buying. Magazines follow suit - they're in it to make a living too, so they cater to the big advertisers. The almighty dollar..

I would like to build more kits, but it seems my time is more taken up with work and family stuff, the older I get. When my kids were young, we built some together, but none of them are really interested in it any more, too many other hobbies to take up their time.

Old 06-15-2013, 02:53 AM
Trisquire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kids take planes for granted. Aviation was huge right after Lindbergh's flight in '27. I suspect that interest has steadily declined ever since. When kids do try RC, they are often phenomenal fliers. They've developed keen hand-eye coordination from playing video games.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:43 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They said video would kill radio in the music world, but I think the internet with itunes and pandora are putting a whippin on radio more.
Sites like this are much better than a mag. I have a pretty thick collection of old mags some going back to the 30s and when that was all you had, it would be pretty awesome. Now we can ask a question directly to someone who has built/flown/used the same model/radio/power system and get an answer in minutes.

Kids are indeed distracted by all kinds of activities. It's pretty hard when you have to tell your straight A athletic kid he can't play "game" for any more than an hour a day with the logic it will rot your brain.
My kids love my shop...when they want to work on something, which isn't near enough for me.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:52 AM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the better question is "What killed the internet hobby forums?"
Old 06-15-2013, 06:17 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

505 errors.[&:]
Old 08-18-2013, 05:56 PM
Ralph78

"Flying Models" is still available, and has a lot of content that we could find in the old model magazines, I subscribe to it.

Ralph
Old 08-20-2013, 07:10 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

I think what killed the "old style model magazines" was the old style magazines turning into nothing more than advertising platforms, and loosing the interesting content that "used to be"

Les
Old 08-20-2013, 07:15 AM
adavis

Have you seen the latest incarnation of Aeromodeller magazine (http://aero-modeller.com/)?

Best Regards,
=Adrian=
Old 08-20-2013, 12:06 PM
LesUyeda
Banned

advas. No. and I still haven't. Your link sent me to error 404!!!!!!!!!!!!

Les
Old 08-21-2013, 07:23 AM
adavis

Sorry- Try: http://aero-modeller.com

Looks like the forum software was including the final ")?" as part of the URL.

Best Regards,
=Adrian=
Old 08-22-2013, 06:31 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Don't see anything there that would entice me to subscribe.

Les
Old 08-22-2013, 11:21 AM
richrd

Originally Posted by adavis
Sorry- Try: http://aero-modeller.com

Looks like the forum software was including the final ")?" as part of the URL.

Best Regards,
=Adrian=

+11 ad first ???
Old 08-22-2013, 01:26 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have subscriptions to Flying Models and Aeromodeller. I like both, maybe Aeromodeller the best. I had a subscription to Aeromodeller when I was in high school in the early 1950s, and have a fair number of later issues. I've built a couple of models from Aeromodeller plans, and fly diesels quite a bit. Aeromodeller is expensive. Six issues cost more than a year AMA membership. But, Hey, I'm worth it. I find very little of interest in Model Aviation.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:42 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Ahhhh the gold old days(70's) when I was a kid flipping thru R/C Modeler magazines.
This thread sent me on a trip down memory lane.
My dad would bring me one home every few months and I would wear them out looking thru them so much. I was limited to building Comet and Guillows rubber powered free flights. My dad always told me that if I wanted to fly R/C I had to buy the stuff myself. One of the 1st toys I bought myself after working full-time was a .40 trainer and a Futaba radio. 30yrs later still buying my toys.

These day the few magazines I do buy my wife chucks them after a couple weeks. I don't mind as for the most part they are just advertisements and what reviews you do see now are usually ARF's. Not near as much depth in the mags as their used to be for sure.

Now days if I want a good product review I go to the forums and search for a build thread. It is a great way of checking out a kit and seeing how people like it. In a lot of ways better then a magazine review as you can get feedback to questions in short order. Not the same as the old magazines for sure and some may say better but I do have to say I do miss the good old days.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 08-23-2013, 04:52 PM
oly 9

So I let my subscription for these mags run out. Got tired of seeing glowing reviews of every plane tested. Can that be they are all perfect or does it have something to do with advertising????
Old 08-23-2013, 06:39 PM
Michaelj2k

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Growing up in the sixties, I remember AM, MAN, FM and later, RCM all offering Nats coverage of F/F, C/L and R/C. Now, all you see is from MA. Almost forgot the construction articles....no such thing as ARF's and foamies.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:49 AM
freddy s
My Feedback: (33)

Default Magazines

I have given up on any of the magazines still around.They have become nothing but catalogs for electric arf's.The reviews if you can call them that,are so biased how could anyone believe such drivel.All the planes go together flawlessy,fly perfectly,never need any trim and ususally made of recycled packing material.Thanks for letting me blow off some steam.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:02 AM
Jim Thomerson

Freddy S, I don't think your criticism is correct for Flying Models. I don't do ARFs, but I have learned some things from their ARF reviews. I think your criticism is about right for the other USA magazines.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:33 AM
freddy s
My Feedback: (33)

Default Magazines

I apologize,having forgotten about Flying Models.Guess I am becoming just a grumpy old man.I still fly kit built planes with glow engines on 72mhz.My local field has tremendously cut back on when you can fly fuel powered planes.With that I will give a small electric a fair chance,till I find out if I am going to continue this activity.For comparision I go back to when the Daily Mirror sponsored a model contest at Floyd Bennett Filed in Brooklyn,N.Y.
Old 08-31-2013, 02:00 PM
takEon

I still find a few articles of interest in Flying Models, but not nearly as often as the older issues. Our hobby will be hurt by the lack of info offered today. Granted we do have these online forums and they do offer a lot. I have a library of old issues and I treasure them, even though they take up considerable space.

Last edited by takEon; 08-31-2013 at 02:00 PM. Reason: clean up
Old 09-02-2013, 06:59 PM
SGibson
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by oly 9
So I let my subscription for these mags run out. Got tired of seeing glowing reviews of every plane tested. Can that be they are all perfect or does it have something to do with advertising????
In the magazines from the 60's and 70's, every construction article ended with, "I only had to add one click of up trim and the plane flew perfectly".
Old 09-03-2013, 04:40 AM
DB_Bob

Mine ALWAYS required 2 clicks.
I think part of the problem is they have gotton so expensive (magazines).
I also think another part of the kids problem is that local schoolyard flying is very scarce anymore with all the schoolfields fenced in or full of obsticles. Back in the day, a screaming .049 at the ballfield would attract half the kids in the neighborhood.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:40 AM
pd1

Originally Posted by DB_Bob
Mine ALWAYS required 2 clicks.
I think part of the problem is they have gotton so expensive (magazines).
I also think another part of the kids problem is that local schoolyard flying is very scarce anymore with all the schoolfields fenced in or full of obsticles. Back in the day, a screaming .049 at the ballfield would attract half the kids in the neighborhood.
Now you'll just get the police.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:41 AM
Trisquire

I bought a Model Railroad magazine a while ago. They're still pretty good quality. Lots of how-to articles.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.