Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Midwest Foamies

Old 12-07-2015, 07:47 PM
Mad Man Marko-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Midwest Foamies

Does anyone remember the Midwest foam ARF Cardinal and Chipmunk These were both 10-15 size planes that were very good flyers. The Cardinal was my first RC plane purchased brand new in a package with a Cox medallion 15 and a Hobby Shack Cirrus Sport III radio in early 1974. It flew great. The Chipmunk was powered with an OS 15 and flew like a 40-60 size ship. Full aerobatics on a 4 oz. fuel tank. You don't see many of these kits around more.
Old 12-12-2015, 06:53 PM
Lake Flyer
My Feedback: (13)

The Chipmunk comes up in the for sale ads a couple times a year. I just loved the one I had. I'd love to have the chipmunk redone as a wood kit. I also had the Midwest Attacker foamy.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:20 AM
WINANS

Friends started with the Cardinal, I had the Goldberg Ranger 42 at that time too. Built the Chipmunk too a bit later. Loved it. Flew it with an OS .10, and later with a CL McCoy 19 that I grafted an RC carb onto. Loved the Chipmunk. Have one in box, and an Attacker too.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:53 PM
H5606

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I remember a full page ad for Midwest Styromate - their finishing system for foam - a greenish liquid that was brushed on and sanded off like chalk; the ad was black and white and featured the Cardinal, Chipmunk, and Attacker. I had the Attacker and finished it with their product - used rattle can medium gray enamel and airbrushed contrasting grey camo pattern for top sides, used lt. blue for the canopy, and some white and orange bands on the fin, added decals, and sealed everything with polyurethane clear. Learned art of deception on this subject using masking tape and airbrush to create fake intakes. Unfortunately no longer have any pics. Powered with O.S. .35 w/strap on muffler and was the airplane I learned to do 4-pt hesitation rolls with. Heartbroken after unexplained pitch down on a take-off roll; pieced together and flew it for some period of time thereafter as a beater before selling the airframe for $10.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:56 PM
Lake Flyer
My Feedback: (13)

I used Styromate on my Chipmunk then painted it with Chevron paint I believe. Looked great until I tried to take the masking tape off. The paint came off in sheets as it did not stick to the green stuff at all. I repainted with Varathane.
Old 12-19-2015, 04:50 PM
Mad Man Marko-RCU

I used Styromate on one Chipmunk but just used Solarfilm on the Cardinal and the other Chipmunk. What a nightmare to duplicate the Art Scholl scheme. It flew great with an OS 15RC. A flying bud had the Attacker with an OS 40. It flew great
until it attacked the ground on a low roll.What great little airplanes those were..
Old 12-24-2015, 04:22 PM
fritzke
My Feedback: (1)

I have flown the Chippie, the Attacker and have a Cardinal, never flown that one. Have a second Attacker I built and never got aound to flying. The Attacker turned opposite of a rudder input. The Chipmunk is a sweetheart and I had two with OS 15'S as well. One pained wih polyurethane and one covered with Solarfilm. They made a foam glider too, never had or even saw one of those.
Dave
Old 12-26-2015, 11:48 AM
H5606

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Don't forget an all foam A-4 Skyhawk for their Axiflow .049 ducted fan that IIRC, later introduced a traditional built-up wing structure and an all foam Piper J-3 Cub of 45" span neither of which I ever remember seeing fly in person. I remember RCM publishing an unfavorable review for the J-3 and a response from Midwest calling foul back when people weren't afraid to speak their minds and magazines were real...