Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Old Timey Recommendation Needed

Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Old Timey Recommendation Needed

Old 02-23-2016, 10:49 AM
DaveyMo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Old Timey Recommendation Needed

Greetings All:

I've got on hand an O&R 60 (circa 1941 or so) that is in good enough condition to fly. My question: Upon buying this engine new in 1941, what airplane would a flyer have had in mind for installation? As you can tell, I'd like to keep it in original condition, fire it up and maybe even build something for it in the future.

My dad had an O&R 60 of the same vintage that he modified a lot and used for control line flight in the 1950s. I think about how this engine might have been used for free flight back in the 1940s (as perhaps indicated by the fuel tank/bulb) and suspect that any air frame would have been huge. Or, maybe it was intended for C/L use. Just not sure here.

Would appreciate any insight available from the brain collective here. Thanks!

Davey Mo...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	O&R 60.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	361.0 KB
ID:	2148998  
Old 02-23-2016, 11:48 AM
otrcman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello Davey Mo,

The engine that you have is primarily from the free flight era. Control line flying showed up in the early post war period and pretty much coincides with glow motors. The death of Ohlsson motors came with the advent of the glo plug. The hotter glow fuels, especially containing nitro methane or nitro propane, was too much for the structural strength of the Ohlssons to endure.

You can learn a lot from reading the Society of Antique Modelers website. This group is devoted to just the era that your motor represents. You will find lots of questions and answers on operating a spark ignition engine, as well as sources for kits and other components.

As for types of airplanes that an Ohlsson 60 might have powered, you will find a large selection. Take a look at Bob Holman's web site for laser cut kits and plans. http://www.bhplans.com/ You are looking for a model in the 800 to 1200 square inch size range for your Ohlsson.

Dick
Old 02-24-2016, 09:06 AM
DaveyMo

Dick:

Holy moly! That O&R .60 really wants a lot of airplane! If it flies in a period model, it'll be a group project with my brother and a nephew.

Thanks a bunch for the two web site suggestions and your response. Lots of good engine info that SAM site!

Dave...
Old 02-24-2016, 09:39 AM
otrcman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dave,

The reason the models are so large is that they are lightly built and fly slowly. A typical 1000 square inch model will only weigh about five pounds. And being originally meant as free flight models, they are extremely stable and easy to fly RC.

Dick
Old 02-26-2016, 11:22 AM
DaveyMo

Very good, Dick. Sounds like it might make a nice two-channel project! Some food for thought here, and your words are much appreciated.

Dave...