Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Need some help with old stuff!

Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Need some help with old stuff!

Old 03-08-2016, 02:26 PM
jaymen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need some help with old stuff!

I have posted this before, but am doing it again because you never know who might come up with something.

As many of you here know, Mike Dorffler handed the torch to me right before he passed away in 2009 with the understanding that I would continue his project of offering reasonably low priced replacement Pulse and Galloping Ghost receivers. We were able for a while to do this, by 2014 the supply of circuit board Mike had sent me ran out. Graciously, Crist Rigotti made a second run of the boards in several versions: Ghost, Pulse Commander, and Single Channel tone. He also made me all the boards for rand actuators: Switcher, decoder, and motor hash filter. Hugh Milligan of Millcott was kind enough to give me enough of the impossible to find IF coils for an additional 100 receivers, which has allowed us to continue production.

Originally, I had a large stock of Rand actuators and parts, but have used them up repairing and replacing ones that have come in with systems. So, in order to continue to offer repairs of these old Ghost and Pulse systems, I need actuators. In particular, any of the Rand or Controlaire "Ghost" types. I am willing to buy, trade, do repairs, and haggle with you. Without the support of fellow vintage R/C enthusiasts, I could not continue to offer repair service of these older Ghost systems, so if you have any of these actuators or system compoments laying around, it would be very much appreciated if we can work something out so they can wind up in the hands of flyers (I do not re-sell to collectors and reserve these pieces for people who use them for flying).

So if anyone is so willing, please contact me via e-mail ([email protected]) phone 9494 699 0439 o PM me here.
Thanks to everyone for your support of vintage R/C and it's history.
Jay
Old 03-11-2016, 04:40 PM
ggeezer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jay,

What Rand parts do you actually need?

Orv.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:56 AM
WINANS

Thanks for doing this Jay, and good to see Mikes work carrying on.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:36 AM
jaymen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm looking for any and all the Rand parts I can find such as motors, spring, gears, the kite and triangular plates, the base, the throttle arm and gear. Many of the Rands I get in for repair have turned a pink color, especially the ones that were in a plane and got exposed to fuel vapors. This not only makes the plastic chalky, it also deteriorates it to the ponit that it gets brittle, and also begins to flake away. In addition, I have found the gears also get cracks. The plastic Rand used was not UV resistant, so if it gets exposed to flourescent lighting, it goes bad as well. Quite often people send me Rand actuators that are missing parts, or have broken parts, so I can typically scrounge parts from another dead "donor" actuator. My issue now is that I have pretty much gone through all the usable parts I have.

Since most guys need complete working system, doing the Rand repairs has become a necessity. My main focus is building replacement receivers and the electronics for Rand actuators, such as switchers and decoders, but most people needing these items also need their actuators working as well, so it's something I have to offer to meet people's needs and get them a working system. Because I cater to people actually wanting to fly this stuff, as opposed to collecting, I try to keep the costs low for actuator repairs as the cosmetics take second place to functionality for flyers.

I never anticipated carrying on Mikes little receiver project this long, or that there would be any demand, but there has been a very modest, but steady demand, so with a bunch of volunteer help (thanks Crist Rigotti, Sid Gates, Bob Lindhorst, Bob Novak, Hugh Milligan ) and some trading for equipment, we have been able to keep manufacturing Pulse.Ghost and single channel reproduction receivers plus the Rand decoder, switcher, and now, a GG-ESC throttle controller for electric planes. Without these peoples help, and the VRCS (thanks Bob Harris) we would have closed shop years ago. I will tell you that this venture is self supporting at best, I wind up working for about minimum wages, and make just enough to keep my parts inventory stocked, but since I love the hobby, I do it for the enjoyment it brings me knowing you guys are still use this stuff.

I make all the electronics by hand, one at a time, hand wired and soldered, each item is tested by itself, then as part of the system. It's all done the old school way, in the USA (my garage) just like in the 1960s, as we have no automated equipment, plus it keeps it authentic.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:25 PM
grotto2
My Feedback: (2)

It sure looks like it would be possible to 3D print the red parts. Anybody up for it?