Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Kraft FM receivers

Old 06-04-2016, 10:22 AM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kraft FM receivers

Was Kraft in the process of coming out with a 8 channel radio before the end? The FM receivers are 8 Channel.
Old 06-04-2016, 03:08 PM
BelAirBob

Yes, in 1984 they had the KPR8FDS narrowband FM receiver. This was frequency synthesized and could be set on any of the 25 current and 25 planned frequencies. I don't think Kraft made it to the phase in of all the 72 MHz frequencies a few years later. It's funny how things change. 10 years before, they were riding high and the top RC radio manufacturer. I forget the history....someone will know, I think Phil Kraft sold to a food company which literally drove Kraft into the ground
Old 06-04-2016, 07:22 PM
TFF

I have one of the synthesized and I have 4-5 of the FM crystal versions. Just wondering why they did that and not make if 7. I remember Kraft computer joysticks after the radios were gone. Im sure Phil Kraft got an offer he could not refuse, but the industrial might of Futaba and cool of JR was hard to keep going with although top but an essentially mid 70's radio.
Old 06-04-2016, 07:58 PM
TFF

I think I just figured it out. I was looking at a Spectrum 6 channel, and on the bottom it says 6/8. I bet it was planned to have a 8 channel version. Probably when the company sold it got scratched for the Japanese Krafts. The MKIV radios, I guess, were built to get rid of the stock of parts.
Old 06-06-2016, 04:59 PM
jaymen

The Kraft receivers on FM were black to distinguish them from their AM types.

Kraft sold to Carlisle, the tire people. One of their really cool last products was the channel master synthesized modules for the Tx and Rx, which allowed you to change frequencies with two little rotary switches, no Xtal changes required. People called it the crash master because if you did not set the switches right, it would cause a problem.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:13 PM
TFF

I have a Crash...er Channel Master. I remember what scared everyone at my old club was someone flipping through the channels and wiping everyone out. Of course ignoring the instructions.
Old 06-07-2016, 05:54 AM
Michaelj2k

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We called it the Kraft "Dial-a-Crash". I see these pop up on Ebay occasionally and they go for very good prices. Other than a novelty, I never saw the need to have one.