Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Citizenship 465 mh radio

Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Citizenship 465 mh radio

Old 06-05-2016, 10:21 AM
F106A
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Citizenship 465 mh radio

Back in the day Citizenship came out with a radio on 465 mh.
It was out for a short time then disappeared and I was wondering if anyone remembers the radio and why it went away.
Jon
Old 06-05-2016, 10:44 AM
ggeezer

Hi Jon,
I am currently restoring a Citizen-ship 465 Mhz unit. I'm very curious to see how well they worked.

The 465 band was the first no 'amateur radio license required' frequency that was made available to modelers so it experienced a short popularity until the FCC made 27.255 available. Although at the time, having two non-interacting frequencies available was a godsend. When the FCC allocated more 27 Mhz frequencies, the 465 faded into history.

The 465 Mhz radios required more heavy batteries than the 27 and the transmitters were very directional (you had to point the antenna at the plane at all times). The receivers however required no outside antenna by having a built-in antenna or they just used the receiver wiring for the antenna.

It's going to be fun seeing how this old technology actually worked.

Orv.
Old 06-05-2016, 01:36 PM
F106A
My Feedback: (2)

Hi Orv,
Thanks for the info.
I've been looking for one on and off for years but never found one, glad you have one and are getting it working again.
I'll keep looking but I don't hold out much hope that I'll ever find one.
Just curious, how are you powering it. Lots of these old transmitters use some strange voltages and I'm sure that the batteries with these odd ball voltages are not available.
Jon
Old 06-05-2016, 02:35 PM
tommav
My Feedback: (3)

Hi all,
Here's a picture of one of my CS 465's in working order (have several but none are for sale - yet). Orv, if you have trouble getting the 3-4 ma relay current, try replacing the 2N35 (NPN – germanium) transistor with a 2N2222A silicon. I had to do this in two of my receivers, even though one of the transistors checked good (the other was bad). Also, if your tube current is low, replace the 1 mfd electrolytic capacitor (should do it in any case). If still not high enough (with signal), try a 2.2 mfd. Good luck!
Tom

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Citizen-ship_1_chan_465_MHz.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	228.3 KB
ID:	2166338  
Old 07-13-2016, 07:05 PM
EloyM
My Feedback: (194)

The first RC airplane I saw was flown with a Citizenship 465 MHz system in early 1953. The second RC airplane I saw (later 1953) was my Macs Robot, flown with a ground based 5 watt transmitter and hard tube receiver of my construction. I cheated - I bought the escapement. My next airplane was a Berekley "Bootstraps" - remember the Berekely "die-crunched" kits? Eloy - Orbit, Futaba, Airtronics, Model Builder, RCM, MAN etc!