Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Need help with Bonner 4RS

Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Need help with Bonner 4RS

Old 09-26-2016, 10:26 AM
jaymen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with Bonner 4RS

I have a Bonner 4RS which has one intermittent servo and was wondering if anybody has the schematics. The Digimite 8 and 4 schematics are on Vintage RC Files, but not the "RS" versions (real small) . If anybody has a RS Digimite servo they want to sell or trade ( I have lotsa vintage R/C goodies) please contact me
Jay [email protected]
Old 10-10-2016, 10:44 AM
jaymen

Thank you to Ron Ellis, and Tom Marvracic. I did speak with Bob Novak who said an early Logictrol servo would be very similar. He no longer has any Bonner, Larson, or RS Systems documentation. The 4RS is now working, but it's a bit itchy, so no doubt I will have to go and change every electrolytic capacitor in the servos (5 ea) and receiver (4 ea).

As much as I like this radio, it has to go on the auction block to raise funds for the club who gave it to me, so if anyone is interested, please feel free to contact me.
[email protected]

Last edited by jaymen; 10-10-2016 at 10:48 AM.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:48 AM
otrcman

Hi Jay,

"It's a bit itchy" ? Heck, my Bonner 4RS was a bit itchy when it was brand new in 1967 !

My radio spent as much time back to the factory as it did at home for the first year. It simply wouldn't pass a range test. And at the flying field I had to be ever so careful to not taxi too far downwind before turning around for the takeoff roll. If I taxxied too far away from myself it would just keep on going !

One day I was playing with the radio out of the airplane. I had the entire airborne set laid out on a sheet of plywood, experimenting with spreading out the servos, receiver & battery to see if component distance would help the range. (Very little improvement.) For some reason, I unplugged one servo. The antenna-off range nearly doubled ! So I unplugged a second servo. And the range got even better. When I got down to one servo, the range was excellent.

Long story short, I bought a Controlaire S-4 servo (kit form) at the hobby shop to see if it performed any better than the original servos. With one Controlaire and 3 Bonner servos, the range was sufficiently improved that I could fly with much less concern for running out of range. As I could afford them ($9.95 each) I bought three more Controlaire servos and discarded the Bonners. At that point I had a super radio.

Dick
Old 10-26-2016, 11:54 AM
jaymen

I have noticed the same thing Dick, each servo, when plugged in progressively reduces the range.

After the set is turned on, if you let it sit for a few seconds, it will quit buzzing and eventually quiet down until you move one of the joysticks and then it starts the buzzing all over again. There is little doubt in my mind that the linear wire wound resistors used for the feedback pot in the servos contribute to this problem. I added a tantalum 100uF cap across the 4.8 volt traces of one servo and that quiets it down considerably, but does not cure it altogether. Due to the constant buzzing (servo hunting) it drains the batteries pretty quickly.

Jay
Old 11-23-2016, 09:10 AM
jaymen

Radio is now repaired and works pretty good, thanks everyone.
If anyone is interested in owning this system, please contact me.
[email protected]