Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

orbit 3+1

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 08:47 AM
B-262

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default orbit 3+1

just thought I would post this did a nostalgic built of this early version debolt champ last winter and have over 50 flights on it with the 3+1 on the 27 band, has 25 outrunner behind firewall and flys on 3 or 4 cell lipo. used a small servo tester geared up to run speed control operated by orbit servo. has been a fun project and very rewarding. still looking for another receiver.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00705.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	3.33 MB
ID:	2190585   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0168.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	2190586  
Old 11-19-2016, 03:10 PM
rc lifer

The Orbit 3+i was my first multi channel radio in 1967, I l had the radio in a Mambo with a 19 OS engine. I am glad to hear you have revived the old radio.I would really like to fly one again, just for a bit. I do remember the servos were big and slow. Good job on the way you hooked up the esc to a servo.
Old 11-19-2016, 03:36 PM
B-262

Default orbit 3+1

I have both servos the small PS-1 and the bigger PS-2A and the speed control is sensitive but works well. went electric so not to vibrate the old radio. here is a picture how I geared up the servo tester.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00868.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	3.20 MB
ID:	2190642  
Old 11-21-2016, 03:57 AM
ukengineman

Great to see the Orbit 3+1 being flown. A year or so ago I restored an Orbit single stick four channel analog system back to working order. So far I have not tried flying with it, maybe one day....
Old 11-23-2016, 09:04 AM
jaymen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,
I have a custom made device, called a GG ESC motor control that is made to drive an Electronic Speed Control (ESC) from the output of a servo. It is specifically for older radios such as Multi-reeds, Analog, and pulse proportional which do not use a standard pulse to control the servos.
The GG ESC motor control is essentially like your little servo tester with some additional features:
A separate linear/ slider pot (non rotary) is used to hook up to the servo output, which allows flexibility in mounting and linkage set-up. Also, the linear slider pot is very low friction so it can be used with low power actuator like the Rand LR-3.
The device is reversible by simply flipping the plug that goes from the controller board to the linear pot, so you can get the throttle operation set up with minimum hassle.
The control board has a couple adjustment pots and an LED to make setting up your high and low throttle easy, and compensate for servos with different travel.

My inspiration for this device came from guys wanting to fly electric powered planes with older analog, reed, or Galloping Ghost radios. Cal Orr was kind enough to share his home brewed version with us, and Crist Rigotti refined it and built all the units for me. I have a very limited amount (10) of them left, and have not tried to advertise them.

Jay