Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Who remembers this?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 12:36 PM
jaymen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Who remembers this?

Here is an obscure blast from the past, a TNT Toys Mini-Chopper, catalog no. 2003, circa 1972, powered by a special version of the Cox Pee Wee .020. The body is based on the Hiller Hornet, a one place, ram jet powered helicopter. My neighbor had one back in '72, and it flew great, so I got one too. The only problem with both of them was that the nitro in the fuel quickly cracked and destroyed the plastic, especially the critical motor mount and they fell apart after a few weeks of flying them. I obtained this one in 1980 while working at Cox Hobbies in Santa Ana, it was mistakenly returned to Cox, because by that time TNT was out of business. It was new in the box, the fuel and battery had been removed, and the box had been opened and badly damaged. Cox had issued credit to the store and it was sitting in the returns area awaiting to be thrown into the scrap dumpster when I spotted it and saved it. It has sat all wrapped up for decades and so I decided to take it out and photograph it for you guys to enjoy. It was superior to the Cox Sky-Copter in that it was lighter, had greater blade area, a counter balanced engine, and the engines were produced before Cox removed the tapered bores and pistons, so they ran much better. Note the tiny vent hole in the top of the tank, and the tubing that closed off the normal vents so the fuel would not be thrown out by centrifugal force. The downside was the plastic just did not hold up to hot fuel, so any that were ever flown have not survived intact. Later on, Estes bought out the remaining stock of Mini-Chopper parts from TNT (Trid-N-Tru) and offered them as a kit they called the Command Copter, which came with no engine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	TNT Mini-Copter (1).jpg
Views:	91
Size:	4.00 MB
ID:	2219789   Click image for larger version

Name:	TNT Mini-Copter (2).jpg
Views:	95
Size:	3.92 MB
ID:	2219790   Click image for larger version

Name:	TNT Mini-Copter (5).jpg
Views:	95
Size:	2.42 MB
ID:	2219791   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mini-Chopper ad.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	220.7 KB
ID:	2219796  

Last edited by jaymen; 06-12-2017 at 01:48 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:49 PM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Many owners of plastic model in my misspent youth used to wax their plastic models. It did seem to preserve them long enough to get to the inevitable crash. The parts did look good.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:18 PM
Mad Man Marko-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend of mine got one of those from his grandma back in 722 and we started it up in my yard which we thought was big enough. To prevent it from going too high we fastened a string to the fuselage and when it got tight we figured it wouldn't climb any higher (high school scientists at work for sure). We got it running and up it went turning in spirals until the string got tight at which time the rotor pulled off the body and just about disappeared. We chase it into an old drive in movie theater and after about an hour we found it. Never flew it again in a small area. The crazy thing flew pretty good for what it was. It would most likely be worth a fortune on fleacebay today.
Mark O