Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Mystery engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2020, 04:53 PM
multimike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mystery engine

Can anyone tell me anything about this engine? it is spark ignition, the bore is 1 1/4 inch with a 1 inch stoke, it has a serial # 005682 Mike

Old 04-30-2020, 11:29 AM
otrcman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't identify the engine for certain, but it has all the earmarks of a powerplant for a chain saw, weed wacker, etc. A couple of earmarks below:

1. Notice the throttle setup. It appears to be designed for a remote throttle trigger with a small tension cable. Perhaps a spiral spring in the round housing that is attached to the venturi.

2. Exhaust pipe appears to be made to plug into some sort of an extension. Probably for a muffler.

3. Drive shaft extends from both front and rear. Perhaps there was a cooling fan on one end and the power drive was attached to the other end.

Old 04-30-2020, 03:22 PM
multimike

Thank you for the reply, I have come to the same conclusion but it must have been a very small unit, its about the same size as my Saito 180 FS what I do not understand that it has beam mounts like our regular model engines and I have never seen en engine like that the they head a cylinder are one piece and screws into the base like and oversized Cox 049 and that is a collector ring for the exhaust Mike
Old 04-30-2020, 05:52 PM
culver

Ohlson & Rice Compact 1.2 c.i., missing the recoil housing on the back but has the sprag drive for it. I think the magneto/flywheel was a part f it also.
Old 05-01-2020, 08:23 AM
multimike

Thank you my friend RIGHT ON it looks like the one off the Tiny Generator, it was fully housed like with a pull starter I am 85 years YOUNG and been in this hobby since I was 12 and still learning take care Mike
Old 05-01-2020, 10:19 AM
multimike

I found some stuff on the engine, Popular Mechanics ran some articles showing how to use them to build a little scooter and adapt them to use on your bicycle Mike