Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

What is it and where he cg

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

What is it and where he cg

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2020, 09:48 PM
cress

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is it and where he cg

Remake of vintage freeflight plane. Fringing to figure what it is and where to start to balance it. It has a very under chambered wing and a flat bottom thick airfoil elevator stab. Thanks

Old 08-03-2020, 12:04 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

With a lifting stab the c/g will be somewhere between 50 to 60% of the chord measured from the leading edge. I have no idea what the name of the aircraft might be.
Old 08-03-2020, 03:24 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

A nose heavy plane flies poorly, a tail heavy plane flies once. You put the CG at 50-60% of chord and you won't fly long.

The CG should be at or forward of the CL, center of lift. Now you can go through all the calculations to determine the center of lift or you can do the simple thing like has been done since the beginning of flight, experiment. Start with the CG at 1/4 chord and move it back until the plane stops flying better each time. With that big tail you can likely get away with start at 30%.

Over 100 years of aviation has shown that aerodynamics is all about experimentation - all the design in the world just gets you a stating point. I used to get paid to do this stuff. My boss and I at Boeing disproved some "hard and fast" rules during wind tunnel testing.
Old 08-03-2020, 04:28 AM
Lifer

Check out some Free Flight designs that have similar moments and lifting stabs. Note the C/G on those designs and then decide for yourself.
Old 08-03-2020, 05:01 AM
UStik

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Very good advice to start with more forward balance, no doubt. In this case, I wouldn't just start at 25% from leading edge. The "lifting stab" will not lift before the C/G is set far backwards, but its camber and especially the wing's camber make for a lot of nose-down pitch (airfoil moment). That's why such models have a lot of decalage (say 4° incidence difference between wing and stab) and a rearward C/G. This model has a very small elevator, which is undoubtedly enough if balance is OK but may be not powerful enough in case the C/G is very far forward.

The attached pictures show a glider I built in the sixties. It has similar configuration and undercambered wing airfoil. Unfortunately, the plan had to be repaired with tape but I drew a red arrow where the C/G should be. The instructions specify 69% from leading edge. Another well-known example is the Telemaster with (not even undercambered but) flat-bottom airfoil where the neutral point (aft limit of C/G) is at 50%. I would use at least that as a starting point.

Last edited by UStik; 08-03-2020 at 05:05 AM.
Old 08-03-2020, 02:07 PM
wnewbury

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dragonfly by Tex Newman. Bill Northrop's Model Builder Magazine. Published 1971 and October 1996. Mine flew well - super easy. Radio influenced rather than radio controlled.
Old 08-03-2020, 02:11 PM
wnewbury

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

CG on plans looks like 55% or 60%.
Old 08-03-2020, 02:19 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

This should help.

Looks to be in the 50%-60% range to me.
The following users liked this post:
R/C Pilot 304 (08-03-2020)
Old 08-04-2020, 07:24 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Well I'll be
Old 08-06-2020, 12:11 AM
Lifer

It's always a good idea to advise based on knowledge or experience. Those requesting help depend upon accuracy rather than a guess or an adage. Free flight is an excellent training ground that unfortunately isn't as widespread as it once was.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:14 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by rgburrill
A nose heavy plane flies poorly, a tail heavy plane flies once. You put the CG at 50-60% of chord and you won't fly long.

The CG should be at or forward of the CL, center of lift. Now you can go through all the calculations to determine the center of lift or you can do the simple thing like has been done since the beginning of flight, experiment. Start with the CG at 1/4 chord and move it back until the plane stops flying better each time. With that big tail you can likely get away with start at 30%.

Over 100 years of aviation has shown that aerodynamics is all about experimentation - all the design in the world just gets you a stating point. I used to get paid to do this stuff. My boss and I at Boeing disproved some "hard and fast" rules during wind tunnel testing.
You apparently don't have any free flight experience. Many of the old designs did indeed fly with the CG at 50 - 60% MAC. With that said though, if this plane is being flown with RC assist, I would move the CG to a more normal location though still rearward of what one would call normal for a traditional airframe. Reason being this plane is meant to fly very slowly and any excessive use of elevator (which could mean almost no movement) could result in an instant stall that will be followed by a series of scallops that could be very hard to correct unless you have experience with this sort of plane. Other than during powered climb when down elevator will be necessary, most of a flight including the landing can be performed with little or no elevator use. Even rudder inputs should be kept to a minimum. Design for a very slow glide, not aerobatics. Can be fun but challenging if horsed around.