Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Big Gull Tribute

Old 08-31-2021, 01:05 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 104 Likes on 99 Posts

I have seen the Comet Clipper but not the other two. The Overlord has me curious of what it looked like.
Old 08-31-2021, 02:48 PM
Fyg Leaf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Reed Falcon above, Overlord below.
Old 08-31-2021, 07:42 PM
FlyerInOKC

A couple of outstanding airplanes! Where did you get the plans? Does the AMA sell them?
Old 09-01-2021, 03:12 AM
UStik

Flyer, seems you don't know that Ken is the designer. For some information, see this thread.
Old 09-01-2021, 05:24 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by UStik View Post
Flyer, seems you don't know that Ken is the designer. For some information, see this thread.
You hit the nail on the head! Thank you for the link the thread was educational and I'm thoroughly impressed by Ken's history! You Lucky dog! I loved where the FYG Leaf name comes from. My own R/C history is much less impressive or interesting. I started out with a Comet kit in 1968 as was immediately smitten with the hobby. I got into C/L and then in 1973 - 74 built my first radio, a 3 channel Heathkit with 3 KPS-10 servos) for a HS electronics class. My second radio was a 1975 Kraft 5 channel I bought off the original owner who bought but never used it. I got out of R/C for a time between 1980 - 2004 and didn't so much as pick up a R/C magazine. It would seemed I missed the most exciting part of Ken's history. I started getting interested in a building a FARS 103 compliant airplane in 2004 with my No. 4 son Scott. The wife wasn't sold on the idea and suggested I go back into R/C. I sold an early OS Max .60 4 cycle (serial No. 5) to finance my relaunch in the hobby. I have been building and occasionally flying ever since. Anyone still awake?

Mike
Old 09-01-2021, 05:48 AM
FlyerInOKC

Hey Ken do you sell your plans? I have quit taking on new projects but the Overlord is talking pretty hard to me. I build a lot off old plans I have download or purchased along wth the odd kit. I prefer more obscure aircraft.

If anyone is interested the guy who has AerFred free plans https://aerofred.com (competitor to Outerzone plans in the UK https://outerzone.co.uk ) also has a separate site for old R/C magazines I download the RCM Oct 1963 with Phil Kraft's Stagger Bipe mention in UStik's link above. Here is a link: https://rcbookcase.com/ You can also find old R/C magazines at this site: https://rclibrary.co.uk/index.asp
Old 09-01-2021, 06:20 AM
Fyg Leaf

The only plan I ever sold was for the original Reed Falcon TOC airplane. And that was only a couple dozen.
The original plans for the Overlord may have gone with it to the AMA Museum or I may have pitched them when we were moving to NC. What I do know, because I looked for them this morning, is that I no longer have them. If the Museum does have them in their archive, you may be able to get a set from them. It was never published in a magazine, so I can't help you there, either.

I'm flattered that you like the Overlord. It was one of my favorites, too. I just didn't have the piloting chops to make anybody notice how well it flew.

Ken
Old 09-01-2021, 10:42 AM
Fyg Leaf

Flyer:
It bothered me that I couldn't answer your question about the Overlord plans, so I went back through some of my very old posts. I found one where I told someone who had asked about Overlord plans that they were with the airplane when I delivered it to the AMA Museum. So unless I was wrong back then you should be able to get a set.

Ken
Old 09-01-2021, 07:05 PM
FlyerInOKC

Thanks Ken! Alas, a search of the plans service failed to find the Overlord.

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 09-01-2021 at 07:18 PM.
Old 09-02-2021, 05:48 AM
FlyerInOKC

I reached out to George over at AMA Plans service he located what you sent it was a pencil outline with no formers or rib details. It was listed as the Over Lord the search engine couldn't find it without the space I guess. Link: https://plans.modelaircraft.org/product/over-lord/
Old 09-02-2021, 08:44 AM
Fyg Leaf

Yeah, I couldn't find it on their plans search tool either. I'm glad you got help, but I'm sorry about the lousy detail on what I gave them.
Unfortunately, I recognize it as what I built it from. One can leave out a lot of detail when every detail is in his head. It's also evidence that I thought there would be absolutely no chance that it would ever appear in a magazine or that anybody else would want to build one.
If you decide to proceed, I can help: The bulkheads are flat on the bottom, vertical flats on the sides and half circles on the top. The wings and tail were hot wired from foam, so all I needed was patterns of the end ribs.
The most important things you need to know concern the top wing, the interplane struts, and the horizontal tail: The plan shows significant anhedral in the top wing and horizontal tail. I was trying to shift the aerodynamic center of lift down toward the plane's sideview vertical centerline. Somewhere along the way, I realized that would look pretty weird and maybe no one had ever done that because it was a bad idea. So I built the stabilizer with no dihedral. Unfortunately, I built the top wing as shown on the plans. And it was a bad idea. It looked just plain bizarre and it didn't seem to have any effect on rolling or knife edge. So I cut the wing in half and epoxied and fiberglassed it back together with the same amount of anhedral as the bottom wing had dihedral.
But the worst experiment in the the design was the inter-plane struts with almost as much chord as the wings. I built them as shown on the plans with the intent of creating the most knife-edgy airplane ever. What I got was a flying weather vane that wouldn't yaw no matter what the rudder was doing. I know that sounds all wrong, but I don't know how else to describe it. I tossed the barn door struts and replaced them with the skinny conventional struts you see in the photos. I made the top wing dihedral and the strut changes at the same time, so the the struts had to be longer than shown on the plans because the wings were now farther apart at that span location. I was able to use the old strut mounting location and hardware.
Let me apologize once again for the decisively worst set of plans I ever produced. The airplane that sprung from them was a very capable performer, but only after I eliminated the baked-in bad ideas.
Ken
Old 09-02-2021, 09:19 AM
FlyerInOKC

Thanks Ken! I am still tempted to build it. Do you have any additional photos of the finished aircraft? What retracts did you use? I would go with a built up wing with hand cut ribs or draw them up and have a laser cutter service cut them for me. As you can see from the two photos tapered wings don't bother me, this wing is for a Ryan SC-W. I hand cut two sets of ribs for the wing you see here. Good thing too, the wing had an accident, it fell from the overhead rack in the garage and smashed some of the ribs. The ribs you see hare are 3/16" balsa. I had a short cut for the Walt Muscano Navion (appeared in RCM 11/82 issue) the wing design is very similar to the SC wing but it has 1/8" ribs. I had fixed gear parts eliminated, I plan to modify it to take Robart gear probably the 510 RS main and 517 nose gear. I have a weakness for making design changes. If you want to see more on the SC-W project the build thread is here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...nce-post-build
The thread name is truly a case of truth in advertising!

Old 09-02-2021, 12:57 PM
Fyg Leaf

These are the only three photos I have. Hope it helps.

Old 09-02-2021, 02:59 PM
FlyerInOKC

Actually it does help I see additional details.
Old 09-04-2021, 08:55 AM
Fyg Leaf

Default Finished (Mostly)

It is sunny and not windy today in NC, so here are some pix of the mostly finished "Gulliver's Traveler"

Thanks everyone for your interest. Now I'll have to see if can generate some interest at the AMA Museum.

Ken
Old 09-04-2021, 10:11 AM
UStik

Looks wonderful! It would be a shame if it would never fly, so couldn't it be flown at the AMA field in Muncie before putting it in storage? There should be expert pilots (with insurance) who would value it.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda, I know, but this is different. Or should I say "it must be flown..."?
Old 09-04-2021, 10:23 AM
FlyerInOKC

She is one big beautiful bird! The curve of the wings are fantastic! I'll bet she would be amazing to see in flight! I hope the AMA museum accepts her she has a lot of WOW factor.
Old 09-13-2021, 06:01 PM
PopeyeCharlotte

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Beautiful. Should release plans of her!

Fingers crossed the airplane gets the audience it deserves.