Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

O & R Engine

Old 08-24-2021, 04:18 PM
The Ghost

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O & R Engine

Hi All,
I picked this up in a job lot, after info, size, age, type of fuel to use, and if any one has instructions in PDF format they are willing to send.
Serial # 045912, no other markings.
Cheers
Andrew

Old 08-24-2021, 06:28 PM
otrcman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Andrew,

Looks like you are the proud owner of a fairly early model Ohlsson & Rice 60. The reason I say "fairly early" is due to the small exhaust port and the side port air intake. Possibly pre-war, but just as likely early post war.

The engine looks like it is complete. It still has needle valve and fuel tank, ignition points assembly, both prop washers, and prop nut. Looks like it even has the second terminal nut for attaching the points wire. The only parts you may need are a couple of longer crankcase screws to extend through the radial mount and also three more nuts to secure the engine to the firewall.

As far as help with wiring, coil, and fuel recommendations, I would suggest that you look at the Society of Antique Modelers web page.

Society of Antique Modelers

Once you have opened the home page, scroll down the topics list on the left side of the page until you find the engines topic. Everything you ever wanted to know is there, plus the opportunity to ask questions.

I'm not too sure of name brands to suggest for the fuel and the oil that you will mix in with the fuel. In the states, a good choice is "Camp Fuel". Coleman fuel is the common name brand here. It's just low grade gasoline without alcohol. Warning: If you use any fuel that contains alcohol, you will ruin the plastic fuel tank. For oil, I use one of the synthetic oils sold at motorcycle shops for use in two-stroke motorcycles. The instructions for use with motorcycles usually suggests a 40 to 1 mix, but with the little model engines we typically use a mixture of 3 parts fuel to 1 part oil. On a well worn engine, some people even use 2:1.

I haven't searched, but the SAM site may even have a PDF of the Ohlsson instruction sheet.

Dick

Last edited by otrcman; 08-24-2021 at 06:36 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-24-2021, 09:54 PM
The Ghost

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dick,
Thank you for the reply, the Coleman Camp fuel is advailable here, I have all ready have a tin of it. Oil is not a problem as I run boats with Zenoah engines, I was looking at running an electronic ign, less wear on the points.
Cheers
Andrew