Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Need Air Filter For OS .60 Size Carburetor

Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Need Air Filter For OS .60 Size Carburetor

Old 05-16-2022, 09:03 PM
Crazy Legs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Air Filter For OS .60 Size Carburetor

I need an air filter that will fit the old style OS .60 size engine carburetor. I looked all over the internet and I was amazed that nobody seems to sell them anymore. Is flying with a glow engine really that old school? Do any of you know of a place that sells them?
Old 05-17-2022, 04:06 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 136 Likes on 118 Posts

Air filters were never very popular in the first place. You may try Central Hobbies or R/C Japan. Blue Line used to make a few different sizes that might be found on eBay.
Old 05-17-2022, 04:30 AM
tedsander

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

Or if you can find them, a chunk of material from panty hose/nylons strapped over the venturi with whatever you can find - soft wire, skinny zip-tie, o-ring. Rubber bands will dissolve pretty quickly.

As noted, after my club moved decades ago, and there was no danger from blowing sand in the pits at the new field, those that used them stopped, with no ill effects over the years. A good idea, but the general level of risk is lower on the scale that a host of other things that could hurt an engine, unless you fly from a dust bowl type location.
Old 05-17-2022, 10:02 AM
GREG DOE

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Air filters are popular on glow RC cars.
Old 05-17-2022, 11:45 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 201 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by GREG DOE View Post
Air filters are popular on glow RC cars.
because they run in that boundary layer of air that is a few inches from the ground and kick up dust the whole time they are running, that's simply not the case with planes.
Old 05-17-2022, 11:52 AM
Crazy Legs

The problem I find is that the air filters for the RC Cars is too big and tall for use on a model airplane. I think I'll just use a small piece of fine mesh screen and hold it on with a piece of Buss Wire. At one point one manufacturer use to sell the fine mesh screen already cut up in a 1 inch square and supplied that with a tie wrap. That sounds like something easy to make.
Old 05-18-2022, 03:27 PM
bchapman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Crazy Legs View Post
I need an air filter that will fit the old style OS .60 size engine carburetor. I looked all over the internet and I was amazed that nobody seems to sell them anymore. Is flying with a glow engine really that old school? Do any of you know of a place that sells them?
I bought one years ago and don't remember why I stopped using it. I think I have it still and maybe a few replacement foam elements. If I find it you can have it for the shipping cost.
Old 05-27-2022, 03:11 AM
roncoleman
My Feedback: (14)

Go here young man. They only have the fine filter

Intake Air Filter (brodak.com)
Old 05-27-2022, 03:23 AM
Crazy Legs

Wow, thank you for that information. Sure which you sent me that link last week. I wound up ordering two of the original "Bru-Line" air filters from the same shop that manufactured them in the 80s but had to pay $10.00 each plus shipping.
Old 05-30-2022, 12:42 PM
roncoleman

Originally Posted by Crazy Legs View Post
Wow, thank you for that information. Sure which you sent me that link last week. I wound up ordering two of the original "Bru-Line" air filters from the same shop that manufactured them in the 80s but had to pay $10.00 each plus shipping.
Sorry about that. I haven't been coming up on RCU much. Which company did you order from? I need a few of the coarse/screened coarse filters.
Old 05-30-2022, 01:35 PM
Crazy Legs

Default Adding note about Course Filter Elements

For those of you that may want to order a Bru-Line Air Filter for yourselves, here attached is a copy of the receipt I received from Prop Shop Hobbies (the place where "ALL" the Bru-Line Air Filters were built in the 80s. I would call Matt and talk to him to see if he is willing to build you a filter, or if he has the Course replacement filter elements if that's what you want. I know he has the Green Fine Filter Element material, and that's what I ordered from him (see receipt), but I don't know about the Course material's availability.

Last edited by Crazy Legs; 05-30-2022 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Needed to add note that Course Filter Elements may not be available.
Old 05-30-2022, 01:41 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Prop shop still manufactures them and carries them in stock.

https://www.propshophobbies.com/
Old 05-30-2022, 10:49 PM
roncoleman

Okay guys, thanks for the info. I will give them a try/call

Thanks,
Ron