Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

TAURUS TEARS

Old 03-06-2003, 02:38 PM
masch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TAURUS TEARS

My name is John Burns. I'm living in Switzerland. This is a first message, so please forgive any lack of protocol.

Between 1960 and 1970, I was a very active and keen R/C Aeromodeler. I loved the sport.
One of the most satisfying models I build and flew was the Topflite Taurus.
If I remember, it was a design of Ed Kazmersky who was world champion.

Now after many years away from aeromodeling, I suddenly have an attack of nostalgia and would like to get back to R/C flying, and in particular build the TAURUS again.

So I have spent the most part of this week on the Web searching for anything on the Taurus and anything on Kazmersky. I have tried to find Taurus kits for sale, or someone who is re-kitting the aircraft. I've tried to find reference to the world aerobatic championship in which Kazmersky was competing.

All I have is a BIG ZERO.

I am totally blown away. It is as if a total section of history has just vanished. And with it, in a weird way, my youth.

Can anybody please help.
Maybe to locate a kit.
Or locate a re-kitter.
Maybe some plans.
Anything???

Thanks in advance. JOHN
Old 03-07-2003, 09:19 AM
RCPAUL
My Feedback: (1)

Default TAURUS TEARS

Well, John, I too had a Taurus when TF was kitting them - even more than one. In fact still have a set of formed leading edges that TF sold separately.

I don't think anyone is kitting the Taurus. When AMA gets there recently purchased Pond plans organized, you may be able to by the plans from them.

The kit may appear on EBay but expect to pay plenty for it.

It was a great kit. I remember reading that Kazmersky was a machinest and is still alive.

RCPAUL
Old 03-15-2003, 04:49 PM
RaceCity

Default TAURUS TEARS

Tower Hobbies sells the "new" Top Flite Taurus at last check.

check out their website.

www.towerhobbies.com

Good Luck!
Old 03-16-2003, 08:44 AM
RCPAUL
My Feedback: (1)

Default TAURUS TEARS

Niteflyer - care to post a link? I know of no new Top Flight Taurus and neither does the Tower site. There is a company - named Saturn I think - that is supposed to be rekitting the Taurus but know no details.

RCPAUL
Old 03-16-2003, 11:23 AM
masch

Default TAURUS TEARS

Many thanks to Paul Penney and Curt Hilla for having the kindness to follow this "plea" up.
After being away from the hobby for 20 years, it seems that the "warmth" and "enthusiasm" is still the same as it was years ago. GREAT.

I couldn't find any reference to the "new" topflite Taurus at Tower Hobbies either.

Through a Mr. Davenport, I found a couple of references on the ebay, but alas the gentlemen in question were not shipping internationally.

It is a tough nut to crack. The illusive TAURUS.
Not that I have any intention of giving up, but does anybody know of a kit or ARTF with more or less the same flying characteristics.

rgds, JOHN
Old 03-16-2003, 01:23 PM
RaceCity

Default TAURUS TEARS

Ahhhhhhhhh

I screwed up! It's the blasted NOBLER that I was thinking of...

I went to Top Flites website and they DO offer plans for the Taurus (Top Flite RC-7)

www.top-flite.com

I apologize for the error.

JOHN! I sent you a link, and I also found some plans on ebay.

'Nite
Old 03-22-2003, 06:48 AM
masch

Default TAURUS TEARS

Gentlemen,

A big thank you to all who have tried to help in finding a Taurus kit or re-kitter.

Maybe we are a small step closer to the target.

I found a reference on the web site of the Boeing Employees R/C Club, the Phantom Fliers R/C Club on address:

http://phantomflyersrc.com

In the section "Newsletters" on address: http://phantomflyersrc.com/newsletters/newsletters.htm

Specifically in the August 2001 News Letter: http://phantomflyersrc.com/newsletters/C_Aug_2001.pdf

There is reference to a Mr. Lance Maresh who is re-kitting the Taurus and supplying "short kits" for 75US$.

I am in contact with Jim Wortkoetter who is President of the Phantomflyers Club to see if Lance Maresh is still active with these kits.

Fingers crossed.
Once again thanks to everyone.
The story is not yet over. If anyone has any other bright ideas, please let me know.

warm rgds.

JOHN

Old 03-24-2003, 09:15 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default TAURUS TEARS

Keep us advised, please! I remember reading about the Taurus when it was a magazine construction article. I never built one, but would be interested to know if the plans and short kit are available, as the newsletter reference is about 2 years old.

Thanks for bringing up a good idea!

Bob
Old 03-25-2003, 10:33 PM
flicka5

Default TAURUS TEARS

John, Lance Maresh who makes the Taurus shortkits lives in Indiana, USA.
His E-mail is <[email protected]>. Give him an E-mail. I
have a Taurus in my basement that was built 1970?
Old 03-26-2003, 05:27 PM
copilot2
My Feedback: (74)

Default TAURUS TEARS

I have the Model Airplane News issue of january 1963 "Taurus" by Ed Kazmirski construction article and plans. Let me know if you would like copies of this information.
Old 03-26-2003, 05:35 PM
copilot2

Default TAURUS TEARS

I have the January 1963 Model Airplane News in which the construction article and plans were published. I can furnish you copies of this information if you would like.
My email address is [email protected][img]i/expressions...mall-smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-27-2003, 07:30 AM
masch

Default TAURUS TEARS

Well Dear Friends,

Eureka!! Thanks to RC Airport and all you Gentlemen who helped, we have managed to find Lance Maresh.
Not only that, he is still making TAURUS short kits. I am thrilled.

Particular thanks to Bud Carlson.

Rather than re-iterate the whole story, I take the liberty of copying here Lance's last email to me. It explains everything very eloquently.

Hi John,

I'd sure hate to see a grown man cry! So I'll tell you right off that your search has ended, you found me and the Taurus! I don't have any at the moment but I'm getting ready to produce another run of the Taurus short kit! Your search has come to an end and a fitting one!

I used to own Custom Cutters, I did custom kit cutting and I produced a line of Giant Scale kits. After about 12 years of manufacturing I pretty much burned out, I also work a full time job, and a full time part time job became too much so I closed up the shop. The Taurus was the last of my line but was never produced. After a year or so I decided that I should at least try to get some of my time out of the redesign and started making short kits. Not many, 20-30 a year, pretty much just when I feel like it or when enough diligent searchers like yourself find me! I like to produce in quantities of 10, easy to order the laser cut parts that way, and I've been waiting for around 2-3 more people to show interest. Well your 2 fills the bill and I guess I'll have to get to ordering material and parts!

About the kit. This short kit is a redraw of original plans, 71" span, .45-.60 engine, I updated
the design to more modern methods and did away with some of the more
troublesome building features. The wing is now a bolt on instead of rubber
bands, the leading edge is built up and shaped instead of the curved
sheeting of the original. Parts count was reduced and 1/32 ply was used as a
doubler in the fuse both in the front and in the rear at the tail where
there was a weak spot in the design. A more modern firewall was incorporated
so that modern engine mounts could be used instead of the original hardwood
beams.

The short kit includes a full set of plans with templates, laser cut ribs,
formers, and tailfeathers. A preshaped balsa topdeck, formed main gear, and
a canopy pulled from an original rounds out the kit.

Price is $75 each US plus shipping.

I agree with you that the Taurus is the best flying airplane that I have ever owned, nothing compares. I've since left the hobby and don't fly anymore but still get the itch once and a while. Being that I don't model anymore I don't hit the R/C sites on the internet much, if you would do me a favor and put a post on RC Airport that you have found the Taurus and me, just in case there are any other searchers out there looking. Feel free to stick my email address in.

I will add your name to the list and I will let you know when the kits are ready to ship. No payment until the kits are ready that way there won't be any hard feelings if I get hit by a truck and don't finish them!&gt[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Thanks for finding me John,

Regards,
Lance

WARMEST REGARDS TO ALL,

JOHN BURNS
Old 04-10-2003, 02:17 AM
Friar_Tuck
My Feedback: (12)

Default TAURUS TEARS

Thanks Guys!
Not only have you found a great plane, you have also stumbled across a great guy to deal with! I have one of Lance's GSTs (Giant Scale Taurus), just in case the little one flies half as good as the big one, I just emailed him asking to be put on the list also!
Picture of my GST!
Old 05-02-2003, 06:46 PM
copilot2

Default TAURUS TEARS

Hi from Copilot
My friend just returned from Florida and I spoke to him about Taurus plans as I remembered he did have one. He thinks he still has the plans and he does have a Taurus body and tail and I have a set of Taurus wings which need a new center section. I will give you further details as soon as I can. Let me know if you are interested.
Old 09-26-2003, 10:57 AM
skyz

Default RE: TAURUS TEARS

ORIGINAL: RCPAUL

It was a great kit. I remember reading that Kazmersky was a machinest and is still alive.<BR><BR>RCPAUL
Could you lead me to the write up on Ed?

Thanks, Ron.
Old 09-26-2003, 01:44 PM
Jim Messer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to page 2 - Vintage and Antiques - find the Forum - Top Flite Taurus - for additional information.
Old 09-26-2003, 03:40 PM
staggerwing
My Feedback: (5)

Vintage Kits makes a full Taurus kit along with other older kits, i.e. Orion, Tauri, etc.. The full kit is $159.95

Jo Grasso the owner can be reached at [email protected]

His address is:

Vintage Kits
8 Quiet Forest
Sylva, NC 28779

Phone 828 631 3693