Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
What exactly have I bought here? >

What exactly have I bought here?

Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

What exactly have I bought here?

Old 06-08-2002, 06:03 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What exactly have I bought here?

Hello All:

This morning at a swap meet at the local electric field, I bought an interesting looking plane for $20 including 400 motor/gearbox and esc. It's a three channel (RET) electric, but the owner told me that its a copy of a 1938 free flight model (gas).

The wing spans about 40 inches and has a short chord with lots of diehedrial.

The wing sits on a raised bed, and there is airspace between the frong of the wing mount and the back.

The last hint is that the wing has the markings

"1938 Tiush Mite" ... or is it "Tlush Mite" (it's in a funny script)

Does anybody know what it is?
Old 06-09-2002, 09:42 AM

Default tlush mite

there was a model called tlush mite, i think the designer was frank tlush but i have never seen the model. what about some pics?
Old 06-09-2002, 03:32 PM

Default Stay Tuned ...

Even though I've been working in the computer field for 12 years, I still haven't broken down and bought a digital camera. I'll pick one up this week and post some pics soon. It would probably help with the identification!
Old 06-10-2002, 02:02 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default One check

You may want to check the S.A.M. site for applicable names. They have a huge list of pre-1940 A/C designs noted.

Wm.
Old 06-10-2002, 03:27 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Interesting

RC Crasher, from your description the airplane sounds like a pylon design free flight. I was under the impression that the first pylon designs didn,t occur untill about 1940. Seems like I,ve heard or read of that design somewhere so checked the SAM list and indeed it is listed as a class A ship published in May of 1938 with 290 square inchs of wing. As this is just a list with no 3 views I,d be interested to know just what the configuration is.

John
Old 06-10-2002, 08:52 AM
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What exactly have I bought here?

It won't fly any different even though you know its name!
Old 06-11-2002, 05:58 AM
My Feedback: (5)

Default Tlush Mite it is....

You can find some info on it HERE, and here's a picture from that site - just scroll down until you find it...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	13973_636.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	8899  
Old 06-11-2002, 02:44 PM

Default That's it!

That is exactly what I bought ...except mine's green. OK... still gonna buy the digital camera this week. I hope to have a flight report out soon. I really like its looks.

Thanks to everybody who replied ... by the way where is the S.A.M. site that people refer to?
Old 06-11-2002, 02:55 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Default Re: That's it!

Originally posted by rc_crasher
That is exactly what I bought ...except mine's green. OK... still gonna buy the digital camera this week. I hope to have a flight report out soon. I really like its looks.

Thanks to everybody who replied ... by the way where is the S.A.M. site that people refer to?
Here's the link:

Society of Antique Modelers

Great, glad we have inspired you to buy a camera!! Can't wait for pictures!!
Old 06-23-2002, 04:36 AM

Default Now The Pics

Got a digicam (finally). And I thought researching planes was hard!

Got a Canon A40 2mega pix ... seems pretty easy to use, and sure is lighter than the Nikon SLR I used to lug around!

Anyways here's some pix of the plane. Gonna fit it out tomorrow and fly it next week. Work has conspired to keep from actually flying this thing!

Old 06-27-2002, 06:59 PM

Default FLIGHT REPORT

I took it out to the electric field at 7am this morning before work. Weather was nice with about 5 mph winds from the North.

I took the charged 8 cell 600 Mah NiCad , popped it in, and balanced the plane on the spar.

Advaced the throttle, and it was smarly airborne within 15 feet (packed dirt runway). It was very very stable at about 1/2 throttle. After about six circuits, I landed it ... VERY easy to land, as it slows down to a walk.

I then helped my buddy fly a mini-max, and decided to fly out my pack ... PROBELM I had reversed my throttle to put my radio as the buddy box to his ... so I crashed it on its second flight ... gently ...

It survived with out major damage, so I launched it again, and it flew like crap. Way out of trim, and twitchy.

By this time guys had shown up at the field, and they had negative things to say about the plane

I'll have to debug it, and fly it again to show 'em!

Anyways, it seems like a good deal for 20 bux!