Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Lou Andrews aeromaster bipe ..Any info ??

Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Lou Andrews aeromaster bipe ..Any info ??

Old 09-05-2016, 01:03 PM
pd1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a scratch. It'll buff out.
Kidding aside, it is repairable but it still feels lousy at the time.

Paul
Old 09-05-2016, 02:11 PM
aeomaster32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah yes that takes me back to 1970, where my best friend and I immersed ourselves in Aeromasters. The orange one was a repair from a mid air collision (see my gallery) where I was still able to fly back to the field on one wing and half a propeller. The other guy took his home in a bag, it was not an Aeromaster!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Aeromaster Lineup 1972 r.jpg
Views:	818
Size:	346.9 KB
ID:	2179738   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aeromaster Lineup May 1972  rCloverdale.jpg
Views:	731
Size:	234.1 KB
ID:	2179739  
Old 09-05-2016, 02:23 PM
Dave Swanson

Originally Posted by pd1
Just a scratch. It'll buff out.
Kidding aside, it is repairable but it still feels lousy at the time.

Paul
Paul, yes it lived to fly another day, but eventually met it's end for good.
Old 09-11-2016, 11:26 AM
Trisquire

Originally Posted by aeomaster32
Ah yes that takes me back to 1970, where my best friend and I immersed ourselves in Aeromasters. The orange one was a repair from a mid air collision (see my gallery) where I was still able to fly back to the field on one wing and half a propeller. The other guy took his home in a bag, it was not an Aeromaster!
You've sold me on the two-swept-wings configuration. Were you and your friends using the long or the short wings?

Last edited by Trisquire; 09-11-2016 at 11:31 AM.
Old 09-11-2016, 12:17 PM
J330
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I found a local guy that builds nice Aamco models. I bought the X Ray, HP .40 on it. (Right)
Old 09-11-2016, 03:26 PM
aeomaster32

Originally Posted by Trisquire
You've sold me on the two-swept-wings configuration. Were you and your friends using the long or the short wings?
I think the swept wings were all long in the "TOO" configuration.
Old 09-11-2016, 03:48 PM
4dogspete

Default Couple of Aeromasters

OK - So I'm an old fart and love Bipes. I believe I posted my current cobbled-up Aeromaster - cobbled up from a friend's busted model - looked like a great Planes kit - had to make a new top wing - and after several hard landings etc. recovered it with the red-white-and blue. but then I found a half-built Aeromaster on ebay and picked it up a couple of years ago - fuselage was kinda-built - but had my friend in Colorado finish it up for me and built the 2 wings - swept back on top and straight on bottom. Had an older OS91FX that needed a home so stuck it in the nose. Bought a cowl from Fiberglass Specialties, had another friend do the covering thing, and here it is - the black and red

Next will be the maiden flight of the new one which is essentially a Great Planes version - I'll post a couple of better photos after a bit.
Just can't say enough about Bipes!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8875.JPG
Views:	697
Size:	394.0 KB
ID:	2180691   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2952[1].JPG
Views:	766
Size:	416.6 KB
ID:	2180692  
Old 09-12-2016, 03:30 AM
Trisquire

Originally Posted by aeomaster32
I think the swept wings were all long in the "TOO" configuration.
Cool. Thanks.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:08 AM
J330

Speaking of the devil. http://www.ebay.com/itm/142110831521...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 09-12-2016, 10:04 AM
pd1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The original Aeromaster had only one choice for wing configuration. Top wing swept bottom wing straight 48 inch span.
Built light with light equipment that combination flew great.

Aeromaster too was a stock Areomaster kit with additional plans and some longer sheet wood for wing sheeting.
1.The kit could be built as original.
2. The kit could have the top wing longer if desired ,top wing was still swept bottom wing straight.
3. Both wings could be swept back. This set up gave the most wing area and the largest ailerons, longer lower wing longer aileron.
Due to the larger wings and longer ailerons this version rolled and glided the best.

If you are planning a light equipment and engine set up, the original might be what you want. Airplane flew like a pattern airplane back then.
If you are unsure of your weight and want a little more glide, second version.
If you want something that can roll with the best and still flies nice, third version (both swept) is what you might want.
Yes, I have seen short wing versions with both wings swept. They fly like the original but roll a bit better.

Paul
Old 09-12-2016, 10:43 AM
4dogspete

For my 2 Aeromasters, the red-white-blue has both swept wings - powered with Saito 100GK - weighs in at about 9.5# - a bit heavy mostly due to the crash rebuilds I think.
The new model black and red - comes in at 8.5# - again a bit heavy, and is powered with an OS 91FXring engine. Hopefully the lighter weight and a bit more oomph with the 91FX will make it perform - not that the older model performs poorly, it shows with the added weight. We'll see about the roll rates but fly like a pattern plane? Not so sure about that - but it tracks straight and takes off like a trainer!
Old 09-12-2016, 05:32 PM
Dave Swanson

Originally Posted by J330
I found a local guy that builds nice Aamco models. I bought the X Ray, HP .40 on it. (Right)
Wow! those are beauties!

Last edited by Dave Swanson; 09-12-2016 at 05:36 PM.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:13 AM
J330

Bob K., flew with Lou Andrews back in the day, having seen him test fly at the field some of the Ray's and Masters. Must have been a treat to be there. You don't see balsawood like this on modern kits. The selection of grain (density) seems to have been very well thought out, or I'd like to think so.

Bob's covering work is exceptionally better than my own ability, and he had everything 1972 on this X Ray, the Kraft wheels, the Kraft radio, Kraft servos, HP 40 engine. I couldn't think of putting it in the air with Kraft FM/servos and although the receiver and internals were updated to a modern Hitec 6 channel FM, I don't want anything to shoot this down. Thankfully he didn't use a 1972 Nicad! So electronics are being replaced now. This gets 2.4 Ghz, tested first in a throw away ARF for a few flights first. I have anxiety taking this to the field for the first maiden flight.

Bob collected 10 different Aamco kits, A Ray, S Ray, H Ray, Big H, X Ray (2), QuikRay 500, miniMaster, TrainerMaster, SportMaster, and the first AeroMaster. He said finding the X Ray and the Big H were the hardest to come by. The gentleman that sold him the X Ray at auction offered him a second X Ray in a message and he took the 2 kit deal justifying the build of the one above. Although this thin X Ray wing looks like it can cut through the air like a knife, I'm partial to low wing planes, so the Ray's weren't part of my plan to keep. I'm looking forward to the TrainerMaster, going to build that one this winter hopefully. I've followed PD1's posts on two forums now for awhile. Glad to see a few people know how nice these kits are.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:14 AM
J330

When I was a kid, dad bought some neglected kit buried in a hobby shop in Manchester NH (606) on sale for $32, the H Ray, rudder only. I never got around to building it and decades later, in a financial bind after a divorce, I reluctantly sold it with many other RC items. So, recently I bought Bob's collection, to overcompensate for my error. I liked the "option" for elevator on the H Ray plans, something you wouldn't consider an option in today's world of digital proportional radios, mixing, telemetry, the usual 4 or 5 "full house" servos.
Leaving control line and entering RC, we liked the H Ray to cross over a strong running TeeDee .051 we enjoyed.
Dad held on to many engines along with a black/red McCoy .49, from his childhood.
Old 12-29-2017, 06:23 PM
onyta

I have a new andrews kit still in the box........also 1 i am scratching from the plans for the first 1......will finish after assembling my 300 Sbach ARF this Jan.
Ace RC, sportster, Cooper Mini, old Sig Cougar Jr w/STG60 w/ pipe retired with over 200 flights. remember Kraft Golc Medal series ??????? Cougar serior,
Eaglet, Smith mini plane w/McCoy RC engine, also have Foster 99 rem.them ?????? 80"Escapadedle35ra, Sbach 342 (broken bad), gentle lady (2),hada
Telemaster Senior......Quickie 500,,,,maybe the first plans for the 1stHOTS>>>>>>LOVE EM ALL