Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

What ever Happened to......

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

What ever Happened to......

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2002, 01:37 AM
mike912e
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plans for "Super Sinbad " ?

Do any of you " oldtimers " know where I can get a copy of the Super Sinbad plans ? I have a copy of the Sinbad plans but it's not as pretty in my opinion.

Thanks and what a great forum. Easytiger, appreciate your information as well as everyone elses.

Contact me directly if you want at : [email protected]
Old 08-13-2002, 11:34 AM
DICKEYBIRD

Default What ever Happened to......

Hi Mike,

I think Mr. CoosBayLumber has plans & laser cut parts available for the Super Sinbad. I've seen his CAD work and it's impeccable. I think you oughta build it so I can see one again. Haven't seen one since about 1964, I think.

HTH
Milton
Old 08-13-2002, 01:47 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Super Sinbad

The Super Sinbad repro was sold to Bob Holman about two months ago. He has the two channel version and laser cut parts. Contact him via www.bhplans.com as they are not all that expensive.

The single channel version plan is available for free download at the Jo Jusko branch of the Fort Worth Model A/C club.

Wm.
Old 08-13-2002, 06:07 PM
BentBalsa
My Feedback: (9)

Default CoosBayLumber

Wm.
About that Kit cutter of several years ago / problems - is one in the same.

Jim
Old 08-13-2002, 09:50 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Sounds fine, Bill. I'm not in a big hurry for a navigator, but do forward my request to whomever is doing it.
Old 08-13-2002, 11:47 PM
CoosBayLumber

Default Jin- the Balsabender

Jim:

You got me lost.

Could be the web, but I lost track of your interest as to the cutter.

Say again.

And hey, are any of you having trouble with Yahoo lately? Past ten days it has been really slow. Takes 5-10 minutes just to read the first two e:mail messages, and the computer locks up upon exiting. I have three friends with same problem and Yeyhoo has nothing mentioned as to problems with G.P.F. etc.

Wm.
Old 08-14-2002, 01:05 AM
BentBalsa

Default Coos

Quite a while back in a different form we discussed a large model you were selling
If I can find your off site email I will get a little more specific

Was a large kit someone cut and was not correct and missing parts you were selling around 500.00 I think

Jim
C.F.I.T.
Old 08-14-2002, 03:34 PM
F106A
My Feedback: (2)

Hi,
Years ago I called JETCO about getting a kit for the Piper Supercruiser. Bill Dean answered the phone and said there were no more kits, he was getting out, but would send me whatever parts for the Piper, Cessna and Rearwin he had, since he wanted to get rid of it all. I got two Rearwin boxes loaded with cowls, l/g wire, die cut sheets and plans. There wasn't enough of anything (lots of duplicate parts) to make a complete kit, but most of it was there and I could certainly make a model from it.
Also, Phil Kraft retired around the time that Futaba was coming into the US and sold his company. I bought my 1st Kraft in 1969 for $350, which was the going price until Futaba came in around '77 and cut the prices in half. Phil was the buisness man, Cliff Wierick was the engineer, he holds (held?) the patent for the feedback system that is the basis for proportional systems. I forgot who Kraft sold out to, but I know part of the deal was that the employees couldn't be let go for two years. Kraft is still around making controllers (sticks) for some type of cranes, still at their same location.
Anyone know whetever happened to "Charlie", Cliffs wife? What a wedding that was, covered in all the modelling mags at the time. I heard they divorced but not sure. I know that Cliff passed away several years ago.
Jon
Old 08-15-2002, 02:37 AM
CoosBayLumber

Default Jon & Jim

Jim:

Must be thinking of some one else, as I cannot remember ever offering to sell a full kit (nor a portion) for about $500. I only seel two kits, and they are no where near that figure. Most high priced things I have been involved with are now being produced by Bob Holman.

Jon:

It is the the cowls, the L.G. and the plans which are the hard things to come upon anymore. May seem different, but ehwood is actually the easier part now with all the computer era machine tools. If the parts are still available, it would be nice to reproduce a few genuine Jetco Rearwin Speedsters.

Wm.
Old 08-15-2002, 03:45 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Jon...are you sure it was as late as 77? I though Futaba had made major inroads into America in the early seventies?
By the way, your F86D has a half-dozen flights on it...
Old 08-15-2002, 11:54 AM
BentBalsa

Default CoosBayLumber

This was around March 2002 and it was a partially build up aircraft

I have sent you email off site if it is not than I may have the wrong person and I apologize

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...199&forumid=11

Partially built as you will see in the photos. 141" span, Century Jet gear (nib), glass cowls and all the plastic. All ribs, bulkheads are there, some sticks and sheeting are missing. I can't tell what all is missing but it seams everytime I need it, its not in the box. I would guess around $50 to $60 in replacement wood. To be all honest, this is a poorly cut kit and does in my opinion have some design flaws where mods will be needed. It is truely a builders kit that I was building for another. Not worth what I was charging and the owner understands. So I am on to The Meister Zero for him. Not worth my time to crate and ship so please don't ask. It is a must pick up do to size. $1300 invested, $500 OBO, no trades unless you have an engine that will fit a 108" Zero.

chook has attached this image (click for full size):

<click for full size>

Last edited by chook on 04-02-2002 at 8:10 PM

Sorry looks like I got the names mixed up

Thanks
Jimm
Old 08-15-2002, 02:30 PM
F106A

Hi ET
I'm not sure. I worked in a hobby shop for several years until 1974. I know I bought a Kraft KP-7Z, the finest transmitter I've ever owned, around '73 or '74. It had Pro Line open sticks, Kraft electronics and crossed trims, which are SOOOO nice. Wish I could still use it. I never could figure out why no one makes a TX w/crossed trims. Oh well....
I remember when Futaba started to come into the US everyone laughed and, for the price, thought it had to be junk. Maybe Kraft went out earlier than '77, I know there was a gradual decline for Kraft as the imports came in. I held out as long as I could until the technology was just too old. I know Phil retired and was into full scale aerobatics and Cliff owned a Pitts and one of those miniature homebuilt warbirds, a Corsair I think. I still have most of my Kraft servos, still work fine, including my 2 KPS-16's from my late, lamented Stafford B-24, they're just a little slow. Don't use them though, as there doesn't seem to be a source for the wiper arms, the little carbon "nib" is worn away on most.
Glad to hear the "Dog" is flying. I just didn't have any interest in ducted fan when turbines came out, so I'm glad it has a happy home. The SIX is coming along, just seems a bottomless pit you throw money into. Going to build a VAMPIRE this winter and use it as a turbine trainer. Also going to build a 1.5 size Trixter Beam for my grandson as a trainer.
Jon
Old 08-15-2002, 11:24 PM
CoosBayLumber

Default Futaba

W-A-Y back when, I took loose the case on my MRC transmitter as something was rattling around in there. Most everything had Futaba labels, including the meter. I did some checking at that time, and no one had heard of Futaba.

I don't think Futaba imported anything under theirown label until the mid-1970's, but was thinking that som of the Polk's stuff was built by Futaba. Have reviewed the old advertisements in my stack of old magazines, and do not see any Futaba advertisements until 1977.

I can remember going to a few scale events at Mile Square in Santa Ana Calif, during the 1970's and those who brought "other than" Kraft equipment had to have a frequency and range check before they were permitted to fly with the public around.

Who built the big single channel for Sterling in the mid-1960's?

Wm.
Old 08-16-2002, 12:03 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

I'll take it as 1977 for the US debut of the Futaba name, then...I stand corrected!
That's too funny about all others besides Kraft get checked! Shades of BVM jets today...for lots of guys, it's BVM, all else is trash.
Don't know who made the Sterling Command Master, great question, but it MUST have been made in Japan...
Old 08-16-2002, 12:34 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Sixer, I think the Graupner radios will let you do crossed trims. They ARE a great idea.
Which Vampire are you doing? Kerry Sterner? I have the Mick Reeves Venom, hope to find time this winter to build it.
I know what you mean about the turbine money pit. It never ends.
The Kraft servos, yes, the carbon makes them a time bomb. They need maintainance and parts. I would not fly a ship I really cared about with them anymore.
Trixter Beam, ah, yeah.
I have a Guillow's Andrews Trixter Piper Cub Special, a 1949 FF job for the Infant 02, all framed out. It was the first or second of the Trixter series of kits. Mine is going to get a radio, though...
Old 08-16-2002, 01:08 AM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The old MRC 700 and 710 were indeed made by Futaba as was the single channel sold by MRC. The Command Master was made I think by a company called Hinode, They were made about the time that I was in Japan,
Actually Kraft didn't exit the radio business till the 80's and those last black case Krafts were indeed made in Japan
Old 08-16-2002, 11:58 AM
F106A

ET,
Yes it the Sterner design, 1/5th scale. Bought the short kit at the Liberty Bell jet rally. Top end is limited to 125 MPh, which is fast enough for me right now. I was looking through my list of plans and found a set for the Smog Hog. It seemed so big way back when. Amazing, it won the Nats MANY years ago. Might build it for my other grandson in a couple of years. Also found plans for the CHARGER, my 2nd R/C plane. It won the rudder only event at the NATS, I guess around '59-'60. I covered the fuse with checkerboard silk, put on wet! I didn't realize that it would be almost impossible, with the wet silk, to line up all the little squares. I guess I did it, since I have a picture of it, but it must have taken forever. Ah, the patients of youth!
Jon
Old 08-16-2002, 01:16 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Is there a glass fuse for the short kit? Having built a Ralph Salidivar DF Vampire from just plans and wood, it's a pretty serious project. The Reeves semikit has a glass fuse and booms, a big leg up. It was a steal at only $450 or so, plus the retracts. Looking forward to it. I have seen the Sterner one fly, it's just great. What do you have for power? Mine will get a RAM500.
The Smog Hog is a goodie! So is the charger.
I have done the checkerboard silk thing, check my gallery, at least one plane has it. Yup, lining up the squares was a nightmare! Checkerboard tissue is much easier.
I have a small supply of checkerboard silk, enough for a few more projects, but I am always looking for more. Love the stuff, headaches and all.

Kraft was definitely around till at least 80. I have a series 80 radio! What about the KSE, Kraft South East, stuff? I think that was made in Mexico?
Old 08-16-2002, 01:51 PM
F106A

ET,
The semi kit is just the formers, ribs, etc. No strip wood or sheets. There's a f/g nose cone, f/g inlets and canopy available from Kerry. The retracts are $650 from Sierra Precision. The laser cutting is really very good. The 1/8 x 1/4 notches are right on for a change. There's no f/g fuse for it yet, although there's been talk of some one making one but I don't think anything has come of it. Oh well, time to recall my planking skills! I'm putting in a detuned
P-120 in it and probably a Tam smoke system since there plenty of room to put some conformal tanks along the sides of the fuse. A f/g fuse would give you more room but I've got the fuse jigged now and don't want to wait. Builds just like a Ziroli model and you don't have to use $100 digital servo's! (YAY!)
Jon
Old 12-11-2003, 09:33 AM
j.thomas

Default RE: What ever Happened to......

Too: CoosBay Have been trying to get ahold of you am interested in your Cessna 170 Berk.
Jim
[email protected]
Old 12-11-2003, 10:48 AM
CoosBayLumber

Was an announcement in Manufacturers forum here at RCU about 5-6 weeks ago, and within the scale forum (I think) about 4 weeks ago.

We wrapped the initial repro around a basketball post at the Fontana High School when the "Know-it-alls" used two sided tape to hold servos in place instead of glued in beams.

Have sold off numerous reproductions already, will be doing another batch a bit at a time before Jan 1st. The whole project may be turned over to Bob Holman in meantime, due to my comittment of drawing several model A/C plans for a customer now. Repro kits such as these get cut a few sheets at a time based on lunch hour visits.

Visit my web site, noted below for information about the Cessna 170 and other kit reproductions.

Wm.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:13 PM
FlyNow

To All,

Thanks for all the great info about the Jetco models. The Thermic 36 was my boyhood model. Loved it then and Love it now. I sent an email to Bill Shive at Penn Valley in hopes he might be able to help me locate a kit.

Also, does anyone remember the MRC single stick four channel radio where the rudder was controlled with a big knob on the stick. My first radio type.

Thanks again to all,
Frosty
Old 12-31-2004, 04:37 PM
propjaw
My Feedback: (19)

I remember building a Heathkit digital alarm clock in the 70's. The numeric led had the Futaba logo screened on the back side of it. Kraft radio changed one of its tx models to a European style slant case. One was metal, then they came out with a plastic case . If I remember correctly, The name Carlisle had something to do with Kraft. This might of been who had bought them, or Kraft became a division of them. Too bad about Kraft. A good company down the drain. I believe some of the people from them went to Airtronics. Now talking about Futaba, I was told that the company Aristocraft High Tech when they first produced their radio systems, were building the boards for JR and Futaba as well as themselves. I found this very hard to believe. The owner of the store where I used to work years ago was good friends with the Polks and we had the whole line of their r/c as well as the REA Express large scale trains. He believed in them and their products. I never cared much for the line myself.
Old 12-31-2004, 06:53 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

What ever happened to Flightglass Models located South of Seattle, Washington? They manufactured fiberglass and foam kits. Some of the kits were a beautiful scale P51D with custom made retracts, Ralph Brooks’ Gladiator pattern aircraft, The Bandito a 40 size pattern aircraft and the Pagan a 60 size pattern aircraft. I think the owners name was White.
Old 12-31-2004, 09:35 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Sorry for jumping in a bit off topic. I have an early 70's Sig Cessna 170 kit. I was told it had been a Berkeley. And that Sig bought the kit from Berekey and tried to market it for just a few years. It sorta looks like a Berkeley in that it can be made CL RC or FF. My Berkeley Navion is the same way .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.